Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Deities Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:20 pm
Sanguina Cruenta

My understanding is that Stregheria is non-theistic in itself, though it was blended with beliefs of the time - in the same way to much of traditional witchcraft - but wouldn't be necessary for the modern strega.

Of course, knowledge of popular religion-brand Catholicism would probably help some.

It makes me curious- but for me I look at how Catholicism impacted my family during slavery and stuff, so I thought it might be similar. sweatdrop

Ravynne Sidhe
So is it safe to say that Aradia, Gospel of Witches isn't a text to read on Strega?

My impression is that it depends on the kind of Strega someone is going to practice- I'm pretty sure I read here on Gaia that it was debunked, then undebunked then redebunked or something like that- a lot of arguing back and forth.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:21 pm
oOGarrettOo
Ravynne Sidhe
It's more accurate to say that Satanic witches practice the left hand path versus black magic.
I wouldn't even say that. Magic really can't be grouped like that. It's a personal thing.
As far as Satanism go, it is considered as the left hand path per both Anton LaVey who wrote the book "The Satanic Witch" which explains exactly what Satanic Witchcraft would be and Diane Vera who runs the Theistic Satanism site, and is apart of the Church of Azazel in New York. While magic is an individual thing, however many Satanic practitioners do practice the left hand path versus the right hand path.  

Ravynne Sidhe

8,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:23 pm
Ravynne Sidhe
oOGarrettOo
Ravynne Sidhe
It's more accurate to say that Satanic witches practice the left hand path versus black magic.
I wouldn't even say that. Magic really can't be grouped like that. It's a personal thing.
As far as Satanism go, it is considered as the left hand path per both Anton LaVey who wrote the book "The Satanic Witch" which explains exactly what Satanic Witchcraft would be and Diane Vera who runs the Theistic Satanism site, and is apart of the Church of Azazel in New York. While magic is an individual thing, however many Satanic practitioners do practice the left hand path versus the right hand path.

But they don't really get to speak for all of Satanism- just their brands of Satanic witchcraft.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:24 pm
Esiris
Sanguina Cruenta

My understanding is that Stregheria is non-theistic in itself, though it was blended with beliefs of the time - in the same way to much of traditional witchcraft - but wouldn't be necessary for the modern strega.

Of course, knowledge of popular religion-brand Catholicism would probably help some.

It makes me curious- but for me I look at how Catholicism impacted my family during slavery and stuff, so I thought it might be similar. sweatdrop

Ravynne Sidhe
So is it safe to say that Aradia, Gospel of Witches isn't a text to read on Strega?

My impression is that it depends on the kind of Strega someone is going to practice- I'm pretty sure I read here on Gaia that it was debunked, then undebunked then redebunked or something like that- a lot of arguing back and forth.
A lot of what I do know from the book from what I've read in posts, and even the basic synopsis...it doesn't look to be true to me. To me it seems like complete fiction kinda like Crowley's Diary of a Drug Fiend (which somehow did find it's way in the Metaphysical section in Half Priced Books)  

Ravynne Sidhe

8,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200

Ravynne Sidhe

8,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:26 pm
Esiris
Ravynne Sidhe
oOGarrettOo
Ravynne Sidhe

But they don't really get to speak for all of Satanism- just their brands of Satanic witchcraft.
Not really brand of witchcraft but specific practice. LeVay for his Atheistic Satanism, Vera for her Theistic witchcraft. I know a few people from the LaVey side who practice the left hand path. I know Spiritual Satanists that practice the left hand path. And a Setian who also follows the Left Hand Path. It's not so much an assumption but a factor in their practice. That's what separates them from your run of the mill pagan who practices the Right Hand Path. The Left Hand path also includes Thelemites (I think) Chaotes, and "Dark" Pagans.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:28 pm
Ravynne Sidhe
oOGarrettOo
Ravynne Sidhe
Lol well I guess so if that's what they're calling it xd I still think it's sort of silly, though.  

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Ravynne Sidhe

Can't hurt. I mean, I don't see that there'd be any problem believing in Aradia over Jesus, anyway. And there might be titbits in there of use. If you're not raised in it, it seems like a fair text to read. But I don't know enough about it myself to judge.  
Ravynne Sidhe
Sanguina Cruenta
Esiris

I'm pretty far off spiritually from Strega and this could just be my impression- based on growing up with the kind of religion that comes about from Catholicism trampling pagan religions because slave owners and stuff were Catholic- but wouldn't the kind of "Catholicism" that tended to get people excommunicated be a good place to start?

while it is true the text is still tainted with a few medieval opinions on witchcraft, there are some very useful rituals and invocations and spells  

xX-Heathenborn-Xx

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:29 pm
Ravynne Sidhe
oOGarrettOo
Ravynne Sidhe
But to say there's a right hand and left hand path one would have to lay down what's right and what's wrong and what's right to one is not always right to another.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:30 pm
Christ, I have NO time for that "left hand path" /"right hand path" bullshit xd As if things were ever that simple - or that limited. Every time I hear it I want to punch a baby in the face.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:31 pm
Ravynne Sidhe

Not really brand of witchcraft but specific practice. LeVay for his Atheistic Satanism, Vera for her Theistic witchcraft. I know a few people from the LaVey side who practice the left hand path. I know Spiritual Satanists that practice the left hand path. And a Setian who also follows the Left Hand Path. It's not so much an assumption but a factor in their practice. That's what separates them from your run of the mill pagan who practices the Right Hand Path. The Left Hand path also includes Thelemites (I think) Chaotes, and "Dark" Pagans.
I'm starting to wonder- how are you using "The Left Hand Path", like, what does that mean to you?

Quote:
A lot of what I do know from the book from what I've read in posts, and even the basic synopsis...it doesn't look to be true to me. To me it seems like complete fiction kinda like Crowley's Diary of a Drug Fiend (which somehow did find it's way in the Metaphysical section in Half Priced Books)
Even if it is made up- that doesn't mean there aren't people who practice using it.
It could be used to make a modern neo-pagan witchcraft religion and it wouldn't be the same as the old Italian Family Trads- but it could still be fulfilling.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:32 pm
oOGarrettOo
Ravynne Sidhe
oOGarrettOo
Ravynne Sidhe
Lol well I guess so if that's what they're calling it xd I still think it's sort of silly, though.
It's sillier to call it black magic. Seriously anytime someone mentions black magic my mind goes to Final Fantasy. LOL! Half the time I want to say, sure I practice black magic. There's nothing more bitching than setting your enemy on fire. Oh you mean hexing....uhm yeah..magic has no color.

The same goes for whenever say BB to me. When people say BB, I don't think Blessed Be. I think Blue Ball. Which is the name of a skill in PWI which continuously heals your character and the parties hp.

Anyways...I suppose practicing either the LHP and or the RHP solely is silly. Hell it's even stupid. Without one you can't have the other. Which is why I'm looking to mix both in my practices, mirroring something a friend did minus without trying to lose my mind. I think it's already lost though.  

Ravynne Sidhe

8,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:32 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Christ, I have NO time for that "left hand path" /"right hand path" bullshit xd As if things were ever that simple - or that limited. Every time I hear it I want to punch a baby in the face.
Lol i don't know about punching babies, but the whole thing never made sense to me either.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:33 pm
Esiris
circlelord13

my proof is history itself.

What history shows was that there were people, mostly Christians who weren't liked in their community, Muslims and Jews, and maybe the occasional "will not convert" pagans who were killed mostly by governments- local and national, for their own gain.

It doesn't show that one of your ancestors was one of them, or that they found her tools. Who was she? What was her name, the year she was executed and the list of charges?

i dunno it was my witch aunt who told me.... she is dead now.....  

xX-Heathenborn-Xx

Ravynne Sidhe

8,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:34 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Ravynne Sidhe
oOGarrettOo
Ravynne Sidhe
But to say there's a right hand and left hand path one would have to lay down what's right and what's wrong and what's right to one is not always right to another.
Going based off of memory the RHP deals with things like morality, goodness blah blah blah. LHP is more umm...I forget xDDD

I'll look it up tomorrow morning.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games