Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dragon Quest/Warrior Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all your Dragon Quest/Warrior needs! 

Tags: JRPG, Slimes, Roto, Alefgard, Zenithia 

Reply Party Chat (Chatterbox)
Rate the Person's Video Game Composition Above You! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Belzayne

Lonely Girl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:28 am
A cheerful song that feels like it could be a village or city theme, or something that fits an event. I like the beat to it. 8/10

Persona 4 - Secret Base by...I am not sure  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:39 pm
Chill song is chill. However, it's pretty repetitive and dulls out fairly quickly. 8/10

Now... here is a public domain song I stumbled in a video game... in all it's unadulterated glory.

Hell's Emperor (Toccata & Fugue) from the game Death Smiles. As this is, in fact, the unadulterated version of Toccata & Fugue in D Minor, props go to Bach.  

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

The Lolwut Pear
Captain

Mega Fatcat

12,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:30 pm
I'm not sure if I told anyone online, but I am a J.S Bach geek, I studied him in university in a music history course, man knows his fugues! This song, I feel as though is a fantastic pick for Halloween and props to you Roy for picking it, I didn't know there was a video game which featured the likes of J.S Bach, so I am very, very pleased. Something that was interesting for me was the chorus added. Some parts, it actually added some to the piece making it have more emotion to it*, but at other parts (Like :30-ish) it added more than it should. However, it's because the chorus added some, it balanced out in the end. Nonetheless, you can't really mess up Toccata and Fugue no matter how hard you try, this rendition being no exception. : P

9/10- only thing holding it back was it didn't go into the meat of the Fugue, just lingered around the beginning which is still fantastic, but I like the Fugue A LOT and was saddened by no Fugue. sad

/Nerd Bach speech, love the man, if someone pulls some Tchaikovsky out of a video game, I will also love the world.

* Comparing it to the infamous Helmut Walcha's playing of the piece (the version that I was first exposed to) [x]

Sorry for the delay, I actually had to think of a good enough song to follow up with one of my favourite Bach pieces xD (Bouree [played on the lute, or Jethrotull's flute of course] is another Bach song I highly encourage y'all to listen to when you have the time)

To the New World from Illusion of Gaia written by Yasuhiro Kawasaki  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:23 pm
Emotional song is emotional. It feels like you just finished your quest, with the credits playing as you see how all your companions are doing, and then it finally goes to the main character setting off on his own personal journey with his lover. And there there's a great big 'Thank you for playing our game' image at the end. Nice moving piece, with little repetition and a ton of imagery. 9/10

You know... I didn't think it was possible... but it actually is. I found a ton of classical music in a rhythm video game... Everything from Mozart to Beethoven to your Tchaikovsky, from Night on Bald/Bare Mountain to Flight of the Valkyrie to Flight of the Bumblebee. There's even musicians I never even knew about, like Julius Fucik. Hell, I bet Toccata & Fugue are in this game somewhere too. All of it in it's unadulterated glory too, from what I've seen.

Anyway... I give you...

Trepak from the Nutcracker from Mad Maestro, by... Piotr Tchaikovsky.

Apologies in advance about the sound quality. The person recording this did not have the right tools for the job.  

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

Misuki Marishima

Gracious Muse

9,900 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:25 pm
Classical music in a freakin' video? OMG! The music fangirl is SQUEEing right now. This game and the concept of it looks SO COOL! biggrin

8/10

Final Fantasy VI- Catastrophe

More throwback tunes courtesy of a game I'm almost finishing! <3  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:24 pm
While it isn't powerful enough to really make me quake in my boots by itself, it certainly brings on that slow, building feeling of dread. There's not much to it, and a song like this doesn't really need much, but I feel like while it is good and good for its source material, it isn't mind-blowing in the slow-building catastrophe area. Still enough to net it a 7/10, though. It's a good song.

Congrats on finishing your LP by the way, Sue. I'll have to check it out later.

And Oh, Mad Maestro... I've heard of that game. I remember it looking like fun.

Toccata & Fugue? Trepak? Did I leave Fantasia on again? Well, that's okay. It's one of my favorite movies. We just need some Stravinsky, and some Schubert...

But for now... Uh...

Dragon Roost Island- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker by Kenta Nagata, Hajime Wakai, Toru Minegishi, and/or Koji Kondo.  

ThePersonInFrontOfYou
Vice Captain

Wheezing Wench

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:58 pm
I'm pretty sure I saw both of those composers somewhere in that game Tiki. They had a lot of them in there.

As for your song... I personally loved Dragon Roost, both as an island and as the song. It's got a very mellow feel to it. I love it. 9.5/10

For my next song... I was hoping to get this one up by Halloween, but that kinda never happened. So we'll save this one for now and go with a different song...

Sage Fado from Wind Waker, by Kenta Nagata, Hajime Wakai, Toru Minegishi, and/or Koji Kondo.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:34 am
I love the soundtrack for the Wind Waker very much. I know I posted Makar and Fado's prayer in one of our music battles. This song and that one, slightly moreso here, have this excellent, earthy Celtic feeling, mostly due to the beat. This one also has that excellent flute that ebbs and flows nicely, sometimes going through quick sprightly trills, and other times, holding long flowing notes. I love this song very much, and it accompanies the character perfectly, making up for what little we see of him by pairing him up with a very descriptive theme. Now that's economy of music. 9/10.

The Gardener- King's Quest 6- Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow by Chris Brayman  

ThePersonInFrontOfYou
Vice Captain

Wheezing Wench

Belzayne

Lonely Girl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:37 pm
That mysterious feeling in the da duh duh that repeats along with the song fits the feeling. I don't see how it fits the title, but I like the feeling of the song. 8.5/10

Dark Cloud: Final Battle by Tomohito Nishura  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:43 am
Oh hey, I remember this game, it was one of few PS2 games I played over and over! For the song, I felt as though it was very, very repetitive. As much as I loved Dark Cloud, it being again, one of few PS2 games that I loved, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed in the tracks in that game. Don't get me wrong, there are some songs that I loved (Duel music and Norune Village come to mind), but unfortunately, the final boss music falls under the lower tier in that game song. 5/10

Liberation (Ally Phase) from Fire Emblem Monshou no Nazo by Yuka Tsujiyoko  

The Lolwut Pear
Captain

Mega Fatcat

12,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:11 am
Classic FE music. It does sound like you're off to liberate the hell out of some enemy armies during your worldwide conquest to save the world. 9/10

Also, to Tiki's the Gardener song... that kinda reminds me of Umineko for some reason. Probably because there's a song or two that have a similar da duh duh sequence.

I think I'll wait one more song before using the original Halloween music I planned to use. So instead I'll give you...

Announce the Truth (2001) from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, by Sugimori Masakazu.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:27 am
Kinda repetitive, but I like the tune regardless. It sounds like one of those plot exposition themes that play when you're learning something heavy.

http://youtu.be/ic4-ZXI4IFA The Dragon's Land: Now for a classic song that all GBA FE players will surely know. I love this one much better than the later remix of it (Bern's theme should be fast-paced!)  

Misuki Marishima

Gracious Muse

9,900 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bookworm 100

ThePersonInFrontOfYou
Vice Captain

Wheezing Wench

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:56 am
Misuki Marishima
Kinda repetitive, but I like the tune regardless. It sounds like one of those plot exposition themes that play when you're learning something heavy.

http://youtu.be/ic4-ZXI4IFA The Dragon's Land: Now for a classic song that all GBA FE players will surely know. I love this one much better than the later remix of it (Bern's theme should be fast-paced!)

I love this song very much. I have ever since I first heard it. It's one of my favorite enemy phase songs in FE. Its a great enemy march theme, and the stomping marching rhythm I just love. However, while I do love it, I don't think all of the added melodies do the core song justice. Like, I like the synth brass. When the song goes into that after it's key change, that's just great. But that tinny percussive melody before it always rubbed me the wrong way. I would have chosen something a lot less staccato and more flowing. ENDLESS WAVES OF BERN SOLDIERS AND WAR DRAGONS AAAHH.
8/10, dawg.
Speaking of which, this morning before I had to go help out as a volunteer a a local gaming convention, I was gonna make a music thread in FEF. Specifically, about how well these soundtracks use leitmotif and variation. The Dragon's Land is an instance of this. And while I agree with you in that I don't like the slower version of this used for the Bern Royalty scenes in FE7, I still am very impressed that they made a caring, compassionate version of the theme as well. While it certainly isn't my favorite be any means, nor the best example of this, I like to see leitmotif being played around with like that.
Belzayne
That mysterious feeling in the da duh duh that repeats along with the song fits the feeling. I don't see how it fits the title, but I like the feeling of the song. 8.5/10

Dark Cloud: Final Battle by Tomohito Nishura

I feel as though this needs an explanation.
You might have found out by now that I love descriptive music. Music that fits its context and helps illustrate what is currently going on, or summons a picture or feeling that is needed.
The Gardener is one such piece.
In King's Quest VI, one of the various islands you must help out of peril is known as the Isle of the Beast, which is covered in various traps and barriers. When you come to an opening in a large, ornate gate, this music starts playing, as a gardener working in a garden through the opening calls to you and tells you that he knows why you are here, and he can help you get past the traps and get to the center of the island. He continues to call to you and tries to get you to pass through the opening (which is guarded by a pair of very ominous moving archer statues that seem to watch your every move...). However, the player should notice the gardener's gleaming golden eyes, which is a tip off that the gardener is not what he seems to be (I won't explain here 'cause this post is already really long), and is actually trying to lure you to your death. If you don't move through the opening, eventually the gardener will get frustrated and vanish into a puff of smoke...
When you finally do get the means to pass through the gate and NOT be killed by the stone archers, you realize that there wasn't even a garden there. The man was just digging around in the dirt to make it look like he was working in a garden.

I am still in a harpsichord mood from the song I posted last time (Hassan isn't the only one who likes harpsichords), but I want to post another song from King's Quest VI that I find to be descriptive and see how you guys like it. I'll provide a minimal description.

The Druids (and the Rain Spell)- King's Quest 6- Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow by Chris Brayman

Context- Upon first arriving on the Isle of Mists, which is home to a tribe of Druids who are very suspicious of outsiders, Alexander is grabbed by two druids and taken to their harvest festival, which is already in progress. The arch druid jumps to conclusions and determines that Alexander is a malicious intruder and declares that he is to be their sacrifice, and burned to death in a wooden cage suspended over a roaring bonfire. Alexander is wrestled into the cage and suspended over the fire, and you see his face turn redder and redder as he gets hotter and hotter, trying frantically to stifle the flames for his own life, but to no avail. However, you should have prepared a rain spell before coming to the island, and if you did, the heat of the fire boils the contents and summons a mighty storm, which douses the flames immediately. The druids let you down and allow you to explain yourself, as you have proven your prowess.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:44 pm
The song sounds pretty dark, and it's got some nice war drum effects in there to build up the suspense. It's a tad bit repetitive up to about halfway, but I don't really expect this particular scene to be. ... And now I'm partially reminded of certain Legend of Zelda bosses with the way it suddenly flares up like that. 8.5/10

As for my song...

The Unsung War from Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War. Composer is Keiki Kobayashi.  

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

Belzayne

Lonely Girl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:38 pm
This song is interesting. The vocals help out the instrumentation and the feeling of this is certainly there. 9/10

And yes, there will be more Dark Cloud from Nom. Demon Shaft by Tomohito Nishiura  
Party Chat (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff