Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Book of the Week Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ice_lollies

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:26 pm
Winnie-the-Pooh and The House on Pooh's Corner by A.A.Milne.
I know it may seem childish, but it really is a good read, and the pictures alongside (by E.H.Shephard) it are adorable. I used to read it when I was little, but now that I've gone back to it there are a lot of subtle adult ideas there too.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:42 pm
Artemis93
winding_river123
Watership Down

Just finished reading it. 3nodding Hooray for bunnies who kill each other.

Oh my gosh! I hated that book so much! I had to read that book for an assignment in sixth grade, I hated it so much I didn't even finish it! In fact I tried to get my other teacher to make the new sixth graders read it to torture them! The movie on it is horrible, just ewww! There are rabbits & dogs shreading each other up! The animals go psycho and get rabbies, [sp?] and it all has scarred me for life!

No offense, but how old are you? I don't ask this in a mean way, but books that I've hated as a kid, I love now. So if you're a bit removed from 6th, I'd suggest trying it again...'cause Watership Down is incredible. ...yeah, that's all I've got to say here. whee

Dea-chan

Dea Mariella

Dea Mariella

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:55 pm
First off, I'm kinda proud of myself that I've read most of the books on this list...(*gigantic egotistical grin)

But books to recommend?

First off, this is an incredible book about teen struggles. Go Ask Alice by Anonymous. It's a real diary. And it's incredible.

A book that I received for Christmas and am loving, is The Roald Dahl Omnibus. It's a collection of his short stories; and they are not kiddie stuff like The Witches and such.

And a book that I'm surprised hasn't made this list yet, Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. Not a kiddie book, but incredibly well written. However, if you know that you are not able to handle *****, do not read this!

That's all that I'm going to say, 'cause I could go on forever!

Dea-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:22 pm
ice_lollies
Winnie-the-Pooh and The House on Pooh's Corner by A.A.Milne.
I know it may seem childish, but it really is a good read, and the pictures alongside (by E.H.Shephard) it are adorable. I used to read it when I was little, but now that I've gone back to it there are a lot of subtle adult ideas there too.

His birthday was January 18th.  

Gachetemas

Embargo_ograbme

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:41 am
Peter Pan In Scarlet I can't seem to remember the author at the moment. It's like a sequel to the very well known "Peter Pan" I haven't finished reading it yet, but I like it alot so far.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:27 pm
Definitely Twilight and New Moon by Stephenie Meyer. Vampires, romance, and a bit of a thriller. They're really good.  

Corrupted Cookie

- Xenn be Twisted -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:54 pm
*Thinks*...
Fever
Out of the Dust
Sea of Trolls (Ummm...Nancy Farmer
and
A Girl Name Disaster

razz

I think they're all great!  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:28 am
I went out and bought the Hunter's Blades Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore yesterday. It gets boring around here when you've read everything more than a million times.  

Sighren

DANCING carbombs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:40 pm
Acceleration... I'm reading it at schiool, it's great. It's all about serial killers...  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:09 am
'Night' - Elie Wiesel
'Uglies', 'Pretties' - Scott Westerfeld (and probably 'Specials', but I haven't read that yet)
'Life Expectancy' - Dean Koontz
'Losing It' - Lizzie Wilcock
Gackt, I can't remember the name of the book, but I can describe it...
An unlikely cohort of four meet on a roof as they're all about to kill themselves and they work together to turn their lives around. There's Maureen, with a disabled son, Martin, accused of having sex with a teenager, Jess, whose sister's run away, and JJ, whose band has fallen apart.
Sound familiar to anyone?  

PrincessPeachey

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:47 pm
Hm... most of the books I was going to suggest were already on this list. I can't think of any others except Speak, and I'm not sure if I remember seeing it or not. Oh well.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:19 am
I enjoy Dante Alighieri. Although I'll be old and gray before I spell his last name correctly. The Divine Comedy is a spectacular read. In addition to him, I would recommend anything by Stephen King or John Grisham. I know they are mainstream writers, but I love their work.  

t3hLunchbox

__X__Naomi__X__

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:42 am
Silent Dagger
Definitely Twilight and New Moon by Stephenie Meyer. Vampires, romance, and a bit of a thriller. They're really good.

Yeah, Twilight is a very good read.
when my friend first read the book she ould not let anyone touch the book.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:53 pm
For those of you interested in science fiction, I highly suggest the Ender Wiggin series by Orson Scott Card.  

Chaotic Element 626

XChinaBelleX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:53 pm
I really enjoyed Good Greif by Lolly Winston. I liked it enough that I am going to send it to my mother so that she can enjoy it as well!  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff