Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Ask Ms. Knitty (and pals) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SaelensFrozenFlame

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:52 pm
When knitting items for 1:6 scale dolls, what is the smallest needle size you would reccommend? And also, would you use sewing thread or split worsted weight yarn into individual strands?

At the moment, i'm knitting a scarf for a Dolfie (a 1:6 scale doll), and am using t-shaped pins and a strand i split off of a very long length of worsted weight synthetic yarn. if there's an easier way to go about this, please do not hesitate to tell me.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:20 pm
[Far] [From] [Home]
When knitting items for 1:6 scale dolls, what is the smallest needle size you would reccommend? And also, would you use sewing thread or split worsted weight yarn into individual strands?

At the moment, i'm knitting a scarf for a Dolfie (a 1:6 scale doll), and am using t-shaped pins and a strand i split off of a very long length of worsted weight synthetic yarn. if there's an easier way to go about this, please do not hesitate to tell me.

Since I don't have a Dolfie or know anyone who does, I'm having a hard time imagining the size. But from what you're already using, I'm going to recommend fingering weight yarn.... maybe even lace weight.... and US size 0 needles. They do make them smaller than size 0, (size 00, and 000, and down to 0000) but they're not easy to find. Skacel is the only company I know that carries needles that small.

I do not know if these are even remotely the same size, but you might enjoy looking at them anyway.
http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTblythe.html  

Catcheen
Crew

SaelensFrozenFlame

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:41 pm
Dolfies are about the same size as standard Barbie dolls...the larger ones are called Ball-Jointed Dolls...  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:53 pm
[Far] [From] [Home]
Dolfies are about the same size as standard Barbie dolls...the larger ones are called Ball-Jointed Dolls...

Then I'd probably go with lace weight yarn and 000 needles.

Needles: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/needlelist/company,16

Yarn: http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemid_5420127/yarn_display.aspx

But it depends on the look you're going after. You could keep using your pins and get some embroadery floss and split that to the size you want.  

Catcheen
Crew

Keiyla

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:08 pm
Catcheen
Keiyla
I've been crocheting a couple of years, and knitting for about one year. I've made three "diagonal" afghans, one knitted and two crocheted, and all three had the same problem: two corners aren't right angles.

I'm stumped. My gauge on all three projects was perfect. I counted every increase and decrease correctly. It happened not just in crochet, but in knit as well. And yet in each one, two corners were right angles, and two corners (diagonally opposing each other, like top left and bottom right) were not. (They were "obtuse" angles, larger than right angles.)

My afghans that are normal, row-by-row squares and rectangles turn out fine (sort of. One knit one had a losse bottom edge no matter how many times I redid it.)

Any idea how this happened? Any way to fx it in the future? Or should I just stay away from diagonals?

I hate to tell ya.... but that happens. It's also happened to all diagonal things I've made too. *sigh* If anyone else has any ideas on how to help this problem, I'd like to hear about them too.

If you're making something out of a natural fiber (ie: NOT acrylic) then you can always block the item and that fixes any tilt I've made on dishclothes or scarves. But afghans? Since most are made of acrylic, that option won't work. I'm sorry I couldn't help in this problem. *frown*

Thought I'd give it a shot. Thanks for trying!  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:36 pm
I've got a question about knitting in the round with a circular needle...basically...how the heck do you do it?  

SaelensFrozenFlame

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:38 pm
[Far] [From] [Home]
I've got a question about knitting in the round with a circular needle...basically...how the heck do you do it?

Here's a video that shows ya!

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/index.php  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:55 pm
To sum up knitting in the round on circulars:

When you cast on, instead of turning your work over (so that you'd be starting your pattern on the last stitch on the cast on), start your pattern on the first stitch of the cast on row without turning the work. This is aka "join, being careful not to twist." Ta da!  

Keiyla

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:44 pm
PoppyTea
i just started knitting about a month ago,
and i finally started my first simple project, a scarf.

but for some reason, the edges curl in.
anyone know why, or how i can fix/avoid it?

its just simple knit one row, purl the next.
i slip the first stitch of every row, if thats any help...

thanks for looking :]

(edit) sorry the pic is so big, and ignore the little oops on the top;}

That's just what stockenette stitch does. It will always curl like that. There's ways to lessen it, but not cure it.

Things to think about doing:
~crocheting around the edge when you're finished might lessen the curl
~Knitting the first and last 5 stitches of every row creates a garter stitch border that helps it from curling
~If you're using a natural fiber like wool or cotton, you can block it, but that's only a temporary fix. As soon as it's worn, it'll curl again
~Do a 1x1 ribbing next time. With it all scrunched up, it looks like stockenette on both sides and doesn't curl.
~Along those lines, double knitting or knitting a tube also gives you stockenette on both sides and no curling.

Luckily if you knit something like a sweater where you're seaming the sides up, the curling won't be an issue in the finished product.

If you have any questions about my suggestions, let me know!  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:51 pm
Catcheen
PoppyTea
i just started knitting about a month ago,
and i finally started my first simple project, a scarf.

but for some reason, the edges curl in.
anyone know why, or how i can fix/avoid it?

its just simple knit one row, purl the next.
i slip the first stitch of every row, if thats any help...

thanks for looking :]

(edit) sorry the pic is so big, and ignore the little oops on the top;}

That's just what stockenette stitch does. It will always curl like that. There's ways to lessen it, but not cure it.

Things to think about doing:
~crocheting around the edge when you're finished might lessen the curl
~Knitting the first and last 5 stitches of every row creates a garter stitch border that helps it from curling
~If you're using a natural fiber like wool or cotton, you can block it, but that's only a temporary fix. As soon as it's worn, it'll curl again
~Do a 1x1 ribbing next time. With it all scrunched up, it looks like stockenette on both sides and doesn't curl.
~Along those lines, double knitting or knitting a tube also gives you stockenette on both sides and no curling.

Luckily if you knit something like a sweater where you're seaming the sides up, the curling won't be an issue in the finished product.

If you have any questions about my suggestions, let me know!

thanks exclaim
so, no matter if im knitting or purling a row, always knit the first and last 5 stitches?

.. i tried double knitting, if you care to answer another question wink but i couldnt quite figure out how to slip the first stitch,(slip both loops, or just the first one?)

id like to get better at double knitting, because i like having the "v's" on both side, and its cuddlier
(ps. i deleted my post because i sort of found an answer)

phallumontis

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:10 pm
PoppyTea

thanks exclaim
so, no matter if im knitting or purling a row, always knit the first and last 5 stitches?

.. i tried double knitting, if you care to answer another question wink but i couldnt quite figure out how to slip the first stitch,(slip both loops, or just the first one?)

id like to get better at double knitting, because i like having the "v's" on both side, and its cuddlier

Yep, knit the first and last 5 stitches and you'll have a small garter stitch border. Sometimes you'll have to use more stitches depending on how insistant your piece is on curling.

For double knitting, this is a great tutorial http://knitting.about.com/library/blheartpad.htm
(I "think" that if I'm guessing correctly on what you're asking... you slip the first stitch, not both)

Simpler than double knitting, not as thick, but still looks awesome is the 1x1 ribbing. You'd think it'd look like any other ribbing, but it squishes together so nice and really looks like stockenette. Well, unless you stretch it out to show the purls.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:06 pm
Catcheen
PoppyTea

thanks exclaim

Yep, knit the first and last 5 stitches and you'll have a small garter stitch border. Sometimes you'll have to use more stitches depending on how insistant your piece is on curling.

For double knitting, this is a great tutorial http://knitting.about.com/library/blheartpad.htm
(I "think" that if I'm guessing correctly on what you're asking... you slip the first stitch, not both)

Simpler than double knitting, not as thick, but still looks awesome is the 1x1 ribbing. You'd think it'd look like any other ribbing, but it squishes together so nice and really looks like stockenette. Well, unless you stretch it out to show the purls.

thats awesome.
after only 3 rows, its pretty much not curling anymore.
thanks a ton!
now i have to decide whether or not to rip it apart and start over sweatdrop

phallumontis

Peprika

Noob

7,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:07 pm
Well, I wanted to make some knitted kitties for my friends for Christmas, but I've never knitted before in my life! My casts are too tight, and I can't figure out how to start the knit off, i don't even really know if i'm doing the casting right....=feels like such a noob= 'Could anyone help or direct me towards a site that can help? LOL  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:54 pm
Peprika
Well, I wanted to make some knitted kitties for my friends for Christmas, but I've never knitted before in my life! My casts are too tight, and I can't figure out how to start the knit off, i don't even really know if i'm doing the casting right....=feels like such a noob= 'Could anyone help or direct me towards a site that can help? LOL

http://www.knittinghelp.com/

This site gives you videos for how to do all that stuff. If you prefer text and photos, just google "knitting tutorial" and you'll get about a billion sites. As for casting on, try upping the size of your needle and then switch back to your regular size for the actual knitting.  

Catcheen
Crew

Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas