Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Who here actually READS anymore?(I do and I'm proud of it!) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22 23 24 25 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How are you? (I'm FORCING you to answer nicely!)
  Very fine thank you.
  Not very well I'm afraid.
View Results

2aetH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:51 am
I'm reading Son of a Witch right now, the sequel to Wicked. mrgreen
After that, it's off to start and finish Eragon.
I'm a fan of the Nightside series by Simon R. Green, books by Charlaine Harris, and sooner or later, I'm going to try and read all of Anne McCaffrey's books.
After reading the Vampire Chronicles, Anne Rice bored me. Well, her erotica was interesting, at least.... rofl
I also enjoy Amelia Atwater-Rhodes... especially her Kiesha'ra series. It beats all that silly vampire stuff. XD
I'm the kind of person who finds a strange book and reads it, then forgets who wrote it or what it was even called...
I used to like Tamora Pierce, and thus read all her books. Dan Brown's Digital Fortress was nice, in comparison to The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, but he seems to have a uniform method to his books.
And I dunno who wrote it, but there was this book called The Traveler that was badass.

I listen to mainly metal, and techno. Not that death-roar stuff, rather the symphonic black and the melodic death. And standard old-school goth rock too. XD
Nightwish, In Flames, Cradle of Filth, Within Temptation, Bauhaus, Depeche Mode, The Cure, The Cruxshadows, Switchblade Symphony, Rasputina, Voltaire, what have you.
Even then, I still listen to the oldie but goodie rock. AC/DC, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top...
And then, I have my little quirks, like RHCP and Queen. ^_^

As for instruments, as far as they go, I have been playing viola/violin for about 8, going on 9, years now. I haven't been playing as much as I'd like these past couple years, due to not actually having a suitable instrument anymore, but I'm getting an electic violin in a couple months, so all's well.
I'm semi-sorta fluent with piano, I do shitty drumming, but double bass drumming is easy(and yes, Imma chick), and I can play alto sax a bit. I'm also horrible at guitar, but I can manage a few tunes.
I write my own lyrics, but I've tried writing music, and I failed miserably. Frankly, music isn't my shtick, and I have other things I prefer over it. I'm more of a visual artist than an audial one, if you get my drift.

I didn't know listening to metal made you goth. I thought listening to goth rock made you goth. Listening to metal makes you a metalhead. 3nodding

And I wasn't geeky, but I wasn't an idiot. I made low As/high Bs in high school, I skipped a grade, graduated in the top fifth of my class, didn't hate school, etc.
At the same time, I skipped 6th period every tuesday, didn't study, and was in the art room most of the time.
I wasn't anti-social either. I hung with the rockers and the artists and the goths interchangebly.
I'm taking 5 classes in college starting the 16th, and I'm planning on finishing in 3 years. That would have me with my BA at the age of 20.

I just don't see why you can't be smart and be socially adept, and still not fit into the mainstream.

And I NEVER buy manga. EVER. The last time I even wanted a manga... let's just say I sure as hell didn't pay for it. $9.99 for a manga is a rip off. That's 10 bucks for something, that when you take out all the pictures is only maybe 10 pages of dialogue. Screw that. I'll pay 15$ for my 300+ page book, thank you very much.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:39 pm
"I didn't know listening to metal made you goth. I thought listening to goth rock made you goth. Listening to metal makes you a metalhead."
Never said it did man...listening to metal isn't a factor in deciding weather one is goth or not.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

X~.McRfan.~X

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:09 pm
Yes, I still read. I read anime too.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:54 pm
I love intellectual/smart/creative goths, especially since they are becoming few and far in between. They are fantastic company and a nice breath of fresh air. Its discouraging to find people who look like freaks, but are really, upon further inspection, they are just like the popular kids. I guess looks can be deceiving.  

Alice_K8

[goth_empress]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:08 pm
I love to read books, although I dont read them a lot. sweatdrop Although I do love animes still.I love to play instruments, like I play mallets/drums during marching season, and redface tuba redface during Concert Season. I dont like playing the tuba, but in a way I do. I also play trumpet, and Guitar. Im also going to try to learn to play piano. Ive always been facinated with music, as you can tell, yet, i still love to read some too.

also, I guess in a way, you could call me a gothic band geek...lol Thats what my friends all call me...j/k  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:08 pm
I used to read books crying sadly, I don't have the time for that anymore... and if I just read some now and then, I will forget what I had read... *sighs heavily*  

essenceofzedak

EvFaerAshlynn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:57 pm
I'm going to read Through the Looking Glass next semester when I have less homework. (Probably meaning it'll be on my birthday list.) I need to read more of Anne Rice. I still have Angie's copy of Queen of the Damned that she let me "borrow" last year, and I don't wanna end up keeping it forever. xp  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:07 pm
reading is something ppl should be prould of doing, because ur not relying on goverment or society brought up entertainment. I love reading on many things. For some reason i have been reading a lot of history on the Celtics and Druids, just because i like to discover how things began and I am a pagen who loves reading the concept of other religions. I also read on the concept of magick and study tarot readings. Im a big fantasy fan to. I never cared for Harry Potter, but my favorite authur is Mercedys Lackey. Im just now staring to read up on her series books. Im really starting to get hooked.  

Redwing~Shadow

Fux this account

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:14 pm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:58 am
Demon princess of Love
I love intellectual/smart/creative goths, especially since they are becoming few and far in between. They are fantastic company and a nice breath of fresh air. Its discouraging to find people who look like freaks, but are really, upon further inspection, they are just like the popular kids. I guess looks can be deceiving.

Agreed. 3nodding

I don't choose my company based upon thier looks, or even thier personal interests, but instead based on thier intellect and thier ability to hold a good conversation. heart

As for reading, right now I'm still plugging away at the complete works of Poe.

Alongside that I'm reading The Subjection of Women by John Stuart Mill as well as The Jew of Malta by Christopher Marlowe.  

DreamerSpirit

Plan-Galere

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:05 pm
I'm reading....

The Templars
Crusades
The Crusades x2
Eragon (at the behest of Lou)
Storm of Swords (very good!)

At the moment.

I read every time I can, I have a book open right now, I read while I eat breakfast, or whilst I brush my teeth.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:25 pm
razorblade6060
Seriouslly! Who really goes to the bookstore, gets a copy of "the red badge of courage" and reads anymore. I still do! The amount of people who go to the bookstore for something besides anime is dwindling...Anime is cool but try reading something else as well for a change.

While I have a topic started here, I would like to ask how many goths you know/meet that you would consider intelligent/"geeky" (read books, know about history, literature, science, don't hate school...) It seems like a lot of people these days just headbang to some metal band, wear black, and say they're goth. No. I'm sorry. Those qualities alone can't make you goth. Or at least "true goth". They should read up about goth a bit more.

Also, who here plays an instument? What do you play, for how long, and do you wright your own music?

*raises hand enthusiastically* I read! Currently, I'm reading a book by Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. It's less about zombies and more about human nature. (But there's still lots of zombies.) I love it. It's nearly a Romero blend of the two. whee

And I just finished reading Frank Herbert's Dune for the bajillionth time. And before that, I was reading Inferno (because Pergutory and Paradise are boring), a book by the Dalai Lama, The Great Cat Massacre, which was about the lives of French peasants and French culture during the French Revolution.

I also play tons of instruments, and I do write my own music. I've been a musician since I was about 3.

I know tons of "geeky" goths, myself included. But unfortunately, they are far outnumbered by less-conversation-savvy goths that just kill braincells by headbanging 24/7. They make me sad, and they give me a bad name. I can't go to the movies without a mall cop following me, thinking I'm one of the stupid, stoner goths that trash things. I don't like those goths. They're exactly like the people I was trying to escape by joining this alternative subculture. stare Mega-lame.  

Kristoya

DMSeraphim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:49 am
My hubby and I are book collectors of the sci-fi/fantasy variety, and are good friends with lots of authors. I'm currently reading Bellwether by Connie Willis. It's funny because it has a goth in it who is... psycho. One of those "Hellbent on destrying people's lives" types. I recomend it highly.

All of my college-aged goth friends are super intelligent and are in like Phi Theta Kappa and stuff. Those people are crazy intelligent, but are still fun to hang around.

As for instruments... My primary is voice, but I've played/tried out nearly everything under the sun. I'm a music major, BTW. 9 years of guitar, some piano, violin, trombone/trumpet, dulcimer (mountain), um... what else... Oh I write music on the computer and did some DJing for a while. I have a deep affinity for electronic music anymore.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:28 am
I read quite a bit. I have The Ring by Koji Suzuki, quite a few Dean Koontz books, Stephen King books, for school one year I read Black Boy by Richard Wright I want to read this again, and quite a few other books to go through.  

NyteOwl

Xx-Razorblade-Skittles-xX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:43 am
I love books and am also PROUD OF IT!!!! I love all sorts of books, doesn't really matter, as long as I get to read! As of right now I'm reading The Ravencliff Series, trying to get my hands on a book called The Enlightenment. It's a book talked about inside the book ^.^  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22 23 24 25 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff