Shikamaru
  Ino
  Hinata
  Kiba
View Results

Captain Verd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:12 am
Shikalee
That's not true. They're just too lazy to make it deep in anyway.

Not ignoring. But adding other variables, and considering that other characters too are lazy (Naruto, Kiba, Chouji...) then the results would vary rather than LAZY = Shikamaru. Lazy just doesn't cut it; he's SMART too.

Exactly. He WAS lazy, and he DID also put on this front. There's a whole side of him people ignore. NO ONE notices that he says one thing, and does another. That is why I am certain most people don't even begin to understand him. At all.

When you have a quiz with multiple answers and multiple possibilities, you can't go into detail on every character. If you had a question about laziness, you'd put Shikamaru at the top, and right under him everyone else who's lazy.

It's hard to measure intelligence based on a quiz. You can have cleverness, and problem solving skills, but it would be silly to say "Oh, you're smart, you get Shikamaru points". That's suggesting that you can't act like Shikamaru and be a normal person, or you can't be smart to be Naruto, or you have to be female to get Sakura. Besides, if you had a "smart" option or whatever, you'd end up putting alot of people under it. Basically, anyone who obtained jounin rank, considering it takes alot just to pass being a chuunin, but would you put Aoba down for smart?

Shikamaru's character probably isn't as deep as you think it is. Yes, he's smart and lazy. Yes, he cares about his team and gets suckered into doing alot of things he doesn't want to. No, he doesn't have confidence and thinks chicks are a pain in the a**. Before the recent chapters, that's all there was. Most characters in Naruto are extremes of some kind. The ones who aren't extremes seem very normal, and boring. Tenten, Genma, Yuugao. They're all minor characters, so none of them are extremes. Kakashi, Sasuke, Neji, Shikamaru, anyone important? They're all extremes of a character, which is what makes us remember "Oh, Kakashi's the guy who shows up late". If you try to dig too deep into their characters, they just end up being more than what they were actually made to be. That's why alot of Tenten fans have very different ideas about her. They make her into an extreme of something, even though she's not, because they tried to find some kind of depth in her character that just isn't there.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:48 am
Philosophy majors? Do something productive with your time. Everyone can "think outside the box" in this case because we have all questioned at some point. As there are no answers, it's all personal anyway. It's just whatever helps you get to sleep at night.

And really, there is no possible way to make the ultimate perfect always accurate Naruto stamping quiz. Because there are way too many aspects of every character to fit into one multiple choice quiz and nobody is going to fit any character perfectly. Ever. And yes I speak in absolutes. mad  

User_1426750

Captain Verd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:17 am
Warning- High Voltage
Philosophy majors? Do something productive with your time. Everyone can "think outside the box" in this case because we have all questioned at some point. As there are no answers, it's all personal anyway. It's just whatever helps you get to sleep at night.

And really, there is no possible way to make the ultimate perfect always accurate Naruto stamping quiz. Because there are way too many aspects of every character to fit into one multiple choice quiz and nobody is going to fit any character perfectly. Ever. And yes I speak in absolutes. mad
I deleted mine in favor of yours.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:28 am
Shikalee
Warning- High Voltage
While not exactly a college class, AP classes are preperation for the AP tests, which are taken for college credit. Different means than a typical college class, but the same ends. If you actually go through with it. But if you're not intending to take the test, why even bother in the first place? Most schools will accept a 3 or better on the test, though some of the higher ends universities may limit it to 4s or 5s. And while the test is expensive, it's cheaper than college. Sometimes. Unless you're getting a full ride.

And philosophy? ... Not hard. I can't even think of an easier class.
PREVIOUS to college. It has the same ends but that doesn't make it taught that way. It's a short cut for kids to get degrees. Most of us, in the REAL world, know that college is a big scam for the most part. You want to go to trade schools if you want to go anywhere in the world, and not have to pay loans for the rest of your goddamn life. Unless you're rich. Then go to college because it's easier than REAL learning.

Taking higher level classes better educates me. Has nothing to do with college. I'd just rather LEARN rather than sit on my a** counting the minutes. I have 3 AP classes (not impressive compared to my friends who have 5- cool and yes, I SLEEP through the other 5 regular classes, and I'm passing them all with A's and B's. I did NOT want that... but I couldn't get all the classes I wanted.

Then you're not taking a good one. It requires integration of all subjects, and the IB Programme philosophy class is respected world wide. It isn't respected world wide for being easy. I'd like to see you write 15 pagers on Stoics. s**t, start off by knowing what it even is.

Okay, um, I take issue. xd I've never gone to a trade school, but my impression was that they can teach you to become, for example, an electrician. As opposed to, say, an athropologist, a doctor, or a lawyer. Provided that one gets into a good college and not a degree mill, college is "real learning." A good college is demanding, difficult, and extremely rewarding in terms of gained knowledge and future employment opportunities.  

attila the fun

attila the fun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:34 am
Shikalee
attilathefun
Warning- High Voltage

Hey man, that s**t is difficult if you hate debating pointless questions. It's difficult to show up. xd
That's a huge part of it. We have to talk about stuff that seems TOTALLY pointless. What makes kids smart are the ones who can see the point in it. It usually takes me until afterward. I go, "OH IT'S..." Then the teacher says it. D:

(So sorry, double-posting heart )

Well, in my experience, the point is never hard to see; it's just made out to be big and important when it's not. Take metaphysics--"Is the external world real?" Naturally, a professor/teacher will want students to consider the possibility that we have no way of knowing, or that it's all in our heads, etc. However, the entire question is pointless because the external world affects us and we affect the world. The question of whether it's all a fabrication is only significant insofar as it relates to the existence of God (if God exists, why would he make these useless things for us to perceive?), but if you don't believe in God, you're back to square one with nothing to ponder. xd  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:56 pm
ninja This is really off topic... and the worst part is that I have nothing to say in this converstation  

churrlo

d a s Z o m b i e

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:19 pm
i got Hinata  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:59 pm
Captain Verd
Shikalee
That's not true. They're just too lazy to make it deep in anyway.

Not ignoring. But adding other variables, and considering that other characters too are lazy (Naruto, Kiba, Chouji...) then the results would vary rather than LAZY = Shikamaru. Lazy just doesn't cut it; he's SMART too.

Exactly. He WAS lazy, and he DID also put on this front. There's a whole side of him people ignore. NO ONE notices that he says one thing, and does another. That is why I am certain most people don't even begin to understand him. At all.

When you have a quiz with multiple answers and multiple possibilities, you can't go into detail on every character. If you had a question about laziness, you'd put Shikamaru at the top, and right under him everyone else who's lazy.

It's hard to measure intelligence based on a quiz. You can have cleverness, and problem solving skills, but it would be silly to say "Oh, you're smart, you get Shikamaru points". That's suggesting that you can't act like Shikamaru and be a normal person, or you can't be smart to be Naruto, or you have to be female to get Sakura. Besides, if you had a "smart" option or whatever, you'd end up putting alot of people under it. Basically, anyone who obtained jounin rank, considering it takes alot just to pass being a chuunin, but would you put Aoba down for smart?

Shikamaru's character probably isn't as deep as you think it is. Yes, he's smart and lazy. Yes, he cares about his team and gets suckered into doing alot of things he doesn't want to. No, he doesn't have confidence and thinks chicks are a pain in the a**. Before the recent chapters, that's all there was. Most characters in Naruto are extremes of some kind. The ones who aren't extremes seem very normal, and boring. Tenten, Genma, Yuugao. They're all minor characters, so none of them are extremes. Kakashi, Sasuke, Neji, Shikamaru, anyone important? They're all extremes of a character, which is what makes us remember "Oh, Kakashi's the guy who shows up late". If you try to dig too deep into their characters, they just end up being more than what they were actually made to be. That's why alot of Tenten fans have very different ideas about her. They make her into an extreme of something, even though she's not, because they tried to find some kind of depth in her character that just isn't there.
Yes you can, and no you don't have to. You can put them all in a straight line. Naruto, Shikamaru, Kiba and Chouji could all be at the top, equally in the matrix. It only has to be number one because of how the cheap quiz sites work. Which is why making my own would be cooler.

A personality quiz isn't about intelligence. It's about personality. Shikamaru's personality isn't, "GENIUS." His personality is rather investigative and curious. He is rather secretive yet indifferent. These are the types of questions you want to ask the reader. Not, "IS EVERYTHING TOO TROUBLESOME FOR YOU?" Aoba, no doubt, is very smart. He's just a dense guy, as far as we can tell from his actions. But if anyone paid attention, they'd notice he has this strange air about him.

All the characters are deeper than they get credit for. Even Hinata. Even Tenten. Just because we don't get all the info doesn't mean it isn't there. Sometimes, we have to look at a character's actions (like Tenten) and make assumptions. For Shikamaru it's the opposite, yet people assume about him the most next to Gaara and Sasuke. And no, that wasn't all there was. You haven't paid that much attention.

He is rather introverted, yet highly charasmatic. Almost natural to him. He says girls are a gross out, but after that reaction to Temari, it's obvious he's taken some sort of liking to them. He's interested in puzzles and riddles; we know this because he's constantly thrived off them throughout the story. The solve problems has been a constant activity of his. If he didn't like it, he would not pursue it. To lead and assist has always been something he has been interested in. As for immediate quotes, he wishes more than anything to have a family in the country side, in the middle of nowhere practically so he can be at peace with those he loves. He admires the sky for the clouds leap across freely; this proves he questions not only the motives of his peers but also of society. He clearly notes his loathsome feelings towards the gender role's catch-22. He whines and complains as a safety blanket, because he feels his emotional side is rather ignored (because it is). To say simply the guy loves gaming; this ranges from the most obvious, shogi, to the less obvious, real life combat. He has a curiosity for study; this has been proven in more recent chapters where he had read some information on Asuma's Chakra blades. The other evidence pointing towards Shikamaru's at least somewhat occasional activity of reading is the one picture we've ever seen of his room. A complete mess like Naruto's, books are stacked rather high about the premises. Scrolls also were about, suggesting he studied some Ninjutsu. Most readers assume Shikamaru does what he pleases, or reluctantly does as he is told. What makes him interesting is his easygoing attitude yet strong integrity. The boy never does anything he truly doesn't want to do; his complaining is a safety blanket protecting any emotions of embarrassment he may feel at the moment.

It is easy to say that you don't think about and character's backgrounds. I could probably rant and rave about anyone in such a manner, but most characters are understood on a reasonable level. Therefore, I feel no immediate reason to do so.  

Syndactyly

Syndactyly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:04 pm
Warning- High Voltage

Um. I don't major in philosophy. Philosophy just happens to be one of the many things I study. To ask me to do something productive is idiotic because all of you here come to this website to argue with strangers. Talk about hypocrisy. You have no idea what my daily schedule is, and I guarantee there's far more than enough time in the day to cover more than just philosophy. It's unproductive in your eye simply because you have not reached an ah-ha moment. Sometimes, things don't require answers. What you don't seem to get is that the thought process is the most productive process of all. The answer has little bearing on that process. xd

Sure there is. By percentiles, strictly remaining by Kishimoto's notes, basing NO assumptions off of the process. But who the hell has that much time on their hands? And there aren't too many if you use percentiles. Again. Stop thinking about what just exists. With programming, anything is possible. And no one will perfectly fit a character unless that character existed themself. Which would never happen on this planet.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:05 pm
attilathefun
Shikalee
Warning- High Voltage
While not exactly a college class, AP classes are preperation for the AP tests, which are taken for college credit. Different means than a typical college class, but the same ends. If you actually go through with it. But if you're not intending to take the test, why even bother in the first place? Most schools will accept a 3 or better on the test, though some of the higher ends universities may limit it to 4s or 5s. And while the test is expensive, it's cheaper than college. Sometimes. Unless you're getting a full ride.

PREVIOUS to college. It has the same ends but that doesn't make it taught that way. It's a short cut for kids to get degrees. Most of us, in the REAL world, know that college is a big scam for the most part. You want to go to trade schools if you want to go anywhere in the world, and not have to pay loans for the rest of your goddamn life. Unless you're rich. Then go to college because it's easier than REAL learning.

Taking higher level classes better educates me. Has nothing to do with college. I'd just rather LEARN rather than sit on my a** counting the minutes. I have 3 AP classes (not impressive compared to my friends who have 5- cool and yes, I SLEEP through the other 5 regular classes, and I'm passing them all with A's and B's. I did NOT want that... but I couldn't get all the classes I wanted.

Then you're not taking a good one. It requires integration of all subjects, and the IB Programme philosophy class is respected world wide. It isn't respected world wide for being easy. I'd like to see you write 15 pagers on Stoics. s**t, start off by knowing what it even is.

Okay, um, I take issue. xd I've never gone to a trade school, but my impression was that they can teach you to become, for example, an electrician. As opposed to, say, an athropologist, a doctor, or a lawyer. Provided that one gets into a good college and not a degree mill, college is "real learning." A good college is demanding, difficult, and extremely rewarding in terms of gained knowledge and future employment opportunities.
I will agree with this. But even a lot of doctors are s**t.

I'll say I'm rather bitter on the subject of college because I want to be a doctor or scientist but I cannot afford the skilling. My mind is going to waste, and I'll end up being a stupid engineer or mathematician or something... I wanted to help the world, not run around in circles.  

Syndactyly

Syndactyly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:07 pm
attilathefun
Shikalee
attilathefun
Warning- High Voltage

Hey man, that s**t is difficult if you hate debating pointless questions. It's difficult to show up. xd
That's a huge part of it. We have to talk about stuff that seems TOTALLY pointless. What makes kids smart are the ones who can see the point in it. It usually takes me until afterward. I go, "OH IT'S..." Then the teacher says it. D:

(So sorry, double-posting heart )

Well, in my experience, the point is never hard to see; it's just made out to be big and important when it's not. Take metaphysics--"Is the external world real?" Naturally, a professor/teacher will want students to consider the possibility that we have no way of knowing, or that it's all in our heads, etc. However, the entire question is pointless because the external world affects us and we affect the world. The question of whether it's all a fabrication is only significant insofar as it relates to the existence of God (if God exists, why would he make these useless things for us to perceive?), but if you don't believe in God, you're back to square one with nothing to ponder. xd
I'll repeat myself; the thought process gone through in a Socratic is far more beneficial than the answer. Besides, time and time again people have said that and people in the past discovered things. What if we did find an end of the universe? Or does everyone just consider it impossible? People at one point also thought the Earth was flat, and the center of the universe.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:10 pm
Shikalee
Yes you can, and no you don't have to. You can put them all in a straight line. Naruto, Shikamaru, Kiba and Chouji could all be at the top, equally in the matrix. It only has to be number one because of how the cheap quiz sites work. Which is why making my own would be cooler.

But you wouldn't put Naruto, Kiba, and Chouji on the same level of laziness as Shikamaru, because that's not the way they're portrayed. Shikamaru is portrayed as THE laziest rookie ninja. Naruto is portrayed as a screw up, but a hard working one. You wouldn't put him on the same level of laziness, because Kishimoto doesn't emphasize it. You go by what Kishimoto emphasizes in a character, because as Warning said, no one will be exactly like a character. You can only go on what's provided for you, and nothing more. If you made a quiz with the things you think Shikamaru has but apparently no one else sees, the answers would come out with someone who likes to lie around the house all day bitching about school getting Naruto.

Quote:
A personality quiz isn't about intelligence. It's about personality. Shikamaru's personality isn't, "GENIUS." His personality is rather investigative and curious. He is rather secretive yet indifferent. These are the types of questions you want to ask the reader. Not, "IS EVERYTHING TOO TROUBLESOME FOR YOU?" Aoba, no doubt, is very smart. He's just a dense guy, as far as we can tell from his actions. But if anyone paid attention, they'd notice he has this strange air about him.

All the characters are deeper than they get credit for. Even Hinata. Even Tenten. Just because we don't get all the info doesn't mean it isn't there. Sometimes, we have to look at a character's actions (like Tenten) and make assumptions. For Shikamaru it's the opposite, yet people assume about him the most next to Gaara and Sasuke. And no, that wasn't all there was. You haven't paid that much attention.
If we don't get the info, it isn't there. You can assume all you want, and make up theories about why Shikamaru has allergies, but basically, if Kishimoto doesn't say it, it doesn't happen. He says Shikamaru's the laziest by way of pointing it out frequently, so that's the way it is.  

Captain Verd

Syndactyly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:54 pm
Captain Verd
Shikalee

But you wouldn't put Naruto, Kiba, and Chouji on the same level of laziness as Shikamaru, because that's not the way they're portrayed. Shikamaru is portrayed as THE laziest rookie ninja. Naruto is portrayed as a screw up, but a hard working one. You wouldn't put him on the same level of laziness, because Kishimoto doesn't emphasize it. You go by what Kishimoto emphasizes in a character, because as Warning said, no one will be exactly like a character. You can only go on what's provided for you, and nothing more. If you made a quiz with the things you think Shikamaru has but apparently no one else sees, the answers would come out with someone who likes to lie around the house all day bitching about school getting Naruto.

Quote:

If we don't get the info, it isn't there. You can assume all you want, and make up theories about why Shikamaru has allergies, but basically, if Kishimoto doesn't say it, it doesn't happen. He says Shikamaru's the laziest by way of pointing it out frequently, so that's the way it is.
Which is why I mentioned perecentiles. But that would require Kishimoto's help. I would have to say, "On a scale of one to ten, how lazy is Shikamaru?" Kishimoto would likely reply something to the affect of, "When?" So this is when specific situations would have to be brought up. To properly "stamp" a person a character, they would have to be interviewed, and their results reviewed. Shikamaru is PORTRAYED as the laziest ninja. BUT HE NO LONGER IS. People change. A lot. And he grew up a lot in two years. He has not whined or sat on his a** ONCE since we saw him. Before, it was so frequent it could not be avoided. Hell, his POSTURE got better. Kishimoto did not emphasize everything. YOU did in your ******** up little head. Kishimoto lays out everything, factual, frank, clear. It's the fans who freak out about it and assume we see everything. And way to assume. If I made a quiz, Shikamaru would be primarily difficult to get, but not nearly as difficult as Shino, Gaara, or Sasuke. My quiz would be realistic. Unlike yours, which, was painfully obvious. That was the only reason I got Shikamaru, probably.

I think he may have allergies. But so does Kiba. Very minute, obviously. Pretty ******** stupid you'd still remember that, and bring it up, though. Kishimoto has said a lot you refuse to notice.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:55 pm
I also like how you ignored half of my post, because you're so goddamn stubborn that you label anything you can't argue with as bullshit. xd  

Syndactyly

Naruto Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces