Welcome to Gaia! ::

Absolute Furry the Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's Oldest Furry Guild 

Tags: Furry, Furries, Anthro, Anthropomorphic, Roleplay 

Reply Adult Furries Guild
AFG Sallies Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 887 888 889 890 891 892 ... 1043 1044 1045 1046 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rainey_angel81

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:41 pm
I just bought myself a laptop. I was wondering if anyone had a any preferences to virus protection,  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:58 pm
Rainey_angel81
I just bought myself a laptop. I was wondering if anyone had a any preferences to virus protection,
None, their evil and seem to cause more problems than they prevent... XP

Lol I guess you could say I've had bad experiences with virus protection. My advice would be to avoid Norton. In the beginning it was pretty good, but over the years it has developed into to much of an invasive program and woe be the person who loads it on their comp, because its never coming off... ever... XP  

Krissim Klaw

Rainey_angel81

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:38 pm
Krissim Klaw
Rainey_angel81
None, their evil and seem to cause more problems than they prevent... XP

Lol I guess you could say I've had bad experiences with virus protection. My advice would be to avoid Norton. In the beginning it was pretty good, but over the years it has developed into to much of an invasive program and woe be the person who loads it on their comp, because its never coming off... ever... XP

heh. the work computer has norton and it always pops up when you're trying to do something  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:58 am
My virus scanner is AVG, and my firewall is Zone Alarm. Some things you should know though:

Zone Alarm seems to work great, but you have to "teach it" first. It kinda blocks access to the internet for everything and you need to choose what you allow and disallow for a while. It'll do this to programs that are patched too. Afterwards, it seems to work just fine.

Both Zone Alarm and AVG have had compatibility issues in the past. One has a problem with the other, or one's updated and has issues with something Microsoft has going on in Windows. They're not perfect, but I've yet to find ones that I liked more that still offered great protection.  

Garek Maxwell

Sonya Khatsworth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:33 am
I personally use somekind of weird combination of Spyware Doctor Pro, Sympatico Security Suite, Ad-Aware, AVG, Malwarebit's Anti-Malware and my own noggin' for some registry snooping.

Oh, and avoid Norton, if anything.
The last time I had it, it quarantined itself.
And McCaffee (sp?) can go suck cocks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:39 am
I have Norton on my new laptop and I believe it will be a barrier to any enjoyment I will have on the net, so I had better turn it off ASAP huh?  

Af Mas

Sonya Khatsworth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:48 am
Af Mas
I have Norton on my new laptop and I believe it will be a barrier to any enjoyment I will have on the net, so I had better turn it off ASAP huh?

You're better keeping at least ONE E-condom on, I'm just saying the advertised and praised brand breaks easily. razz

Something free and less invasive like AVG works better without risking to slow your system down, too.

Any virus that's tough enough to get through AVG has 95% chance of getting through Norton as well, the only difference is Norton might get the patch against it maybe a day early before the entire internet is suddenly immunized thanks to free protection groups sharing their information.

Most of any extra shiny features it may have can usually be taken of with other free programs and/or properly configuring your browser and program settings.

My two cents on the whole antivirus scene.
This counting in my obvious bias against the big commercial ones, because of some pretty stupid occurrences using them razz

I'm currently browsing online with nothing else than my modem firewall, and that's just because I'm too lazy to fiddle with it. XD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:19 pm
Af Mas
Problem with Norton is if it is on your computer, unless you are knowledgeable enough about computers to go through all the right back doors, you won't be able to remove enough of it yourself. Just turning it off isn't enough, because it will still make background noise and will screw around with any other virus and ad-aware protections you try to add. I took my comp into a guy I know at Best Buy down here (that is always nice enough to handle my stuff for free) and he and a few of his people spent several hours removing Norton and there are still traces of it left. Only way they would have been able to completely remove it is if I left it overnight for a much more invasive procedure.

Norton apparently picked up some tricks from the viruses its suppose to be protecting you from. stare  

Krissim Klaw

shoki_de_nai

Fuzzy Canine

12,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:42 pm
You know...if you're pissed at someone, take it out on them, not on their kids. You don't need to be a d**k and call DHS claiming the person you're mad at is abusing their kids. That's just ******** crossing the line.

This is the second time I've seen a parent I know have to deal with DHS because someone is mad at them and made up a story about how they neglect and abuse their kids. It's completely untrue too, since I work with said kids. It's just...completely immature and mean. It's not a pleasant experience for parent or child, and it stays on record that you've been accused of child abuse, even if it's proven false.

Just, ugh. People are complete dicks.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:56 pm
Free anti-virus:
Avast!
Malwarebyte Anti-Malware

Paid anti-virus:
The latest Nortons (I've heard it's improved, but I'm not sure, haven't tried it)
Kapersky  

Crenn

Af Mas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:40 pm
Everyone keeps telling me AVG but my problem with that was that it worked for about a month and then said I needed to pay for it  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:41 pm
shoki_de_nai
You know...if you're pissed at someone, take it out on them, not on their kids. You don't need to be a d**k and call DHS claiming the person you're mad at is abusing their kids. That's just ******** crossing the line.

This is the second time I've seen a parent I know have to deal with DHS because someone is mad at them and made up a story about how they neglect and abuse their kids. It's completely untrue too, since I work with said kids. It's just...completely immature and mean. It's not a pleasant experience for parent or child, and it stays on record that you've been accused of child abuse, even if it's proven false.

Just, ugh. People are complete dicks.

Jeez, and that's even worse for the children. These adults are using their CHILDREN as a means for petty revenge. Sick  

Af Mas

Forcive Habit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:43 pm
Crenn
Free anti-virus:
Avast!
Malwarebyte Anti-Malware

Paid anti-virus:
The latest Nortons (I've heard it's improved, but I'm not sure, haven't tried it)
Kapersky

Yah Norton 2009 isn't a system resource hog, neither was 2008, but 2008 had a bunch of issues with not deleting quarantined files.

My new favourite and overlooked antivirus is AntiVir. It works, it doesn't tab you out to scan when you're running fullscreen programs, and it removes viruses. Works for me. Granted you pay for it, but when you buy it, one key works for as many computer as you want. Granted I think you have to install and set it up on the same network as the original purchaser, cuz it asks for internet prompts after it's all installed to check activation keys and stuff.

@Af: AVG is free completly. Paying for it only gets you tech support :3  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:48 pm
I have to rant. There is a guest in the hotel who seems to think that it is okay to just leave their baby's dirty diaper lying out in the hallway. That thing is full of human feces, and there is no way in hell I'm touching it. It just irritates me that they seem to think that we'll just clean up after them REGARDLESS of what it is we have to clean up. If you didn't want to deal with human poop then you should have thought of that before you had a kid, don't make the rest of society deal with it! I mean, that's just disgusting! scream scream scream  

Manda_Tifa

Af Mas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:12 am
Forcive Habit
@Af: AVG is free completly. Paying for it only gets you tech support :3

Then maybe you can tell me why it refused to update because I wouldn't pay, because that's what happened when I got it. It worked for a while and then said "Your trial is over, for continued protection, pay this amount, otherwise you won't be protected against new viruses"  
Adult Furries Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 887 888 889 890 891 892 ... 1043 1044 1045 1046 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games