Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply The Friends of English Magic Guild
What are YOU currently reading? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

beaulolais
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:51 pm
it can indeed be fun to find a book that combines different genres like that, murder mystery with historical fiction.

i just finished Maya Angelou's autobiographical All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes .

i spose anybody who writes a whole book about herself must have a pretty big ego but hers is way too big for me.

she has divorced, has a college age son who is in a serious car wreck, moves from Egypt to Ghana seeking her roots, gets involved with politics, rejection by Ghanan people for being too American, caught up it weird deja view moments from before her birth.

she does really make you think about slavery, the reasons for it and what it did to all the black Americans (writing in 1984 she calls them Afro Americans).

she bumps into important people like Malcolm X and James Earl Jones.

her life seems fascinating and i did learn a lot about post colonial Africa and American expatriates there.

still she comes off like a diva.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:37 am
PoemAtGunpoint

1. What is the book about? (setting, plot, characters) Please tell in a way that wont spoil anyway blaugh
2. Do you like the book so far? Why or why not?
3. Have you previously read anything by the author?
4. Is it a series?
5. Would you place this book among your top read? Why or why not?
6. Is the style of writing bizzare or new to you?

I'm reading several at once but the one I've spent the most time reading over the last two days is Atlantis Complex within the Artemis Fowl Series. I've enjoyed the series thus far and it's shaping up to be at least as good as the others I've read, nothing yet that makes it stand out above the rest. This series is the only thing I know written by Eoin Colfer, so I don't have anything else of his to judge if it's bizarre for him, but against other authors I find him equally engaging as any of the other Young Adult writers I've read. I wouldn't say it's among my top reads, though I have certainly enjoyed it. His characters are well rounded and fleshed out, easy to connect with and interact with while you're reading. He could've done better in some areas, I'm sure, he seems to be lacking something that would make the book truly great and put it at the top of the list, but what that Is I'm not sure.

A quick basic rundown of the plot would be that it's centered around a Boy, a child prodigy and genius, who has discovered the secrets of Faeries and how they still exists hidden from the world, and he has caught a disease from them that is slowly lowering his mind into psychosis of differing variety. Paranoia, OCD, MPD, etc etc. So far I'm only in the first few chapters so I haven't discovered where this plot is gonna go from there.  

Heartless Hippie

Shameless Lover

9,450 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Nudist Colony 200

beaulolais
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:20 pm
that sounds exciting, HH!

the plot moving on two planes at once.

i like Robert Holdstock for that too.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:03 pm
I have just finished reading the Harry Potter series again, because I was going to see HP #7 Pt1 at the movies.
Now I'm reading The Blue Bloods series by Melissa de la Cruz. I'm reading the fourth book in the series called The Van Allen Legacy. And I'm also re-reading The Vampire Diaires by L.J Smith. It's the thrid book in the series called The Fury.

LuckiRose

5,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200

3000 angry bees

Wheezing Elder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:12 pm
i really don't get how people can read two or more books at a time. i get so into one I lose interest in the other! Since I can't read two books at once I'm so happy I can read a 200-400 paged book in about two days (more if i'm less persistent) anyways, I just finished Maximum Ride, Final Warning and, it was just as good as good as the last. If you haven't heard of it, it's about this group of mutant kids who break out of The School (what they call the lab they lived in) and are chased all over the U.S. Luckly though, they have wings, and over time develop other freaky powers. All the characters are hilarious, in the Flock (what the main characters call their group) theres Max, the main character, Fang her somewhat trusted sidekick and really loyal friend, Iggy the blind one, Nudge, VERY talkative, Gazzy, better known as Gasman, and Angel, the youngest and the creepiest. ...wow i wrote a lot.. eh, i recomend you read it, one of my favorite book series  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:24 pm
Maximum Ride! I've been meaning to get back to that. I stopped shortly after beginning because I thought they'd never explain the backstory, but I wish to try again soon...

I'm reading Jane Eyre... again. And listening to HP7...again. I am reading Emily the Strange: Stranger and Stranger too, and it's the only book I haven't already read. How do I read them all at once...?

Very slowly smile  

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

LillianSaire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:37 am
Ender's Game series (Card): I finished Xenocide, but I'm waiting for the library to get Children of the Mind from another library because their copy is 'in' but not to be found and hasn't been checked out since 2003 so it is presumed missing.

Anna Karenina (Tolstoy): I started reading it after I read The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery; which is a great book, translated from French but the translation I have is written beautifully from sentence structure to words used. I started Anna in June, at the start of Summer break. The copy I am using split it into two books; I have yet to finish the first. It is slow, and I really don't see how it is called a classic. I get distracted while reading it. I think it is a 50c grocery store romance novel, I really do. Perhaps I need to finish it before making judgments.

Atlas Shrugged (Rand): I just started it, but I'm concerned that I won't be able to complete it before school starts back up. So of course I'll procrastinate and get into it by the time it really is too late to finish it.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:48 pm
I am currently reading the series His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman.
Granted, I'll admit I'm reading the first book right now but it seems interesting so far.  

Mac di Sigma

Lady Pole
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:03 pm
I just finished 61 Hours by Lee Child, trying a find a good book to download from the library for my next.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:11 pm
Leo Stargaze
I am currently reading the series His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman.
Granted, I'll admit I'm reading the first book right now but it seems interesting so far.

The first book is Golden Compass? I liked it, it showed a very interesting world.  

LillianSaire

Beckygan
Crew

7,150 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Member 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:23 pm
I'm currently reading Deltora's Quest 3 (yes, I'm a bit too old for it!) because I haven't finished the series! Emily Rodda is a favourite!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:01 pm
I haven't found anything to download yet so I am rereading the Bartimaeus novel, The Ring of Solomon. It's still great smile  

Lady Pole
Crew

Mac di Sigma

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:31 am
I have just finished reading Incarceron by Catherine Fisher.
It is about Claudia, who is doomed to an arranged marriage and who agrees to help Finn escape Incarceron, a prison unlike any because its inmates libe not only in cells but also in forests, dillapdated cities and much more and also because the prison is alive.

And Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare.
Her books are definitely on the top of my list, or very nearly, and I think she is a very talented writer. And I can't wait for her next book, City of Fallen Angels is released.

Now I think I'll move on to TheSubtle Knife by Phillip Pullman.
I still ave to finished His Dark Materials series. biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:04 am
i'm reading an anthology containing current zombie short stories.
it's fascinating, and gave me some really interesting nightmares.  

archenteron

Purple Coloured Pencils

5,550 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:34 am
I'm currently reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.  
The Friends of English Magic Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff