Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Spell checkers, boon or bane? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Spell checkers, boon or bane?
  They are great. They help me catch mistakes I would never be able to catch on my own.
  They encourage laziness and let homophones escape.
  They are good, but should not be used a substitute for proof reading.
View Results

Sammie of Spades

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:20 pm
I don't usually use spell checkers. When I do, I watch the entire paper as it scrolls though searching for misspelled words. I also don't like that it sometimes ignores homophones. I always go back and double check. Hitting spell check will not make up for gramatical error either. scream  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:42 am
Spell checkers are for those too lazy to learn how to spell properly, this is why i voted so in the poll ninja  

Fridge Weasel

Acerbic Song

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:57 pm
I don't have a spell check on Wordpad, which is what I use to type up my stories, and when I upload them onto the document section on the site I use, it catches a few. Generally, I proofread my works many, many times.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:34 pm
They're good when you need a specific word to be spelled, but they're not to be dependent on, because you won't learn if you use it frequently.  

Kisu Midori

Azraelalpha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:41 pm
I think spell checkers are only to catch missed typos and such. Spelling has never been a problem for me or my dad, as we always look in the dictionary if in doubt. so I guess that as long as it is not overused, it's okay.

P.S.
It took like 5 mins to post this as I was proof-reading it and found some typos. ^^!  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:17 pm
I have more issues with Word's grammar checker than the spell checker. I usually just turn that off and use the spell checker to help me catch typos, words I just didn't notice when I read through it myself, and words I have no idea how to spell. I am finding myself using Google more and more for that last one, though, due to limitations in Word's dictionary.  

hoshi.kagenokoi

normtheclone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:43 am
Don't abuse spell check.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:58 pm
I generally don't use it, although it is encouraged at school. I would more like to look the word I can't spell in the dictionary, to understand it more.  

Rhannon`TillGrade9

Sexy Blue Candy

Chatty Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:11 pm
I like spell checkers because I like typing fast but I usally type with alot of mistakes.Also,because I'm kind of lazy.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:58 pm
Sexy Blue Candy
I like spell checkers because I like typing fast but I usally type with alot of mistakes.Also,because I'm kind of lazy.

^ I can tell.

Well, spell checkers are okay but they usually leave a lot of mistakes. I almost never need to use them since I type out my words carefully and read as I type them out.  

darkrose_eve

1,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Shredderhs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:10 am
Hmmmm, I have mixed opinions on spell checkers. They are good when you are unsure about a word and you don't have a dictionary to hand but they do incourage laziness.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:35 pm
I have found that spell checkers not only help my spelling, but also teach me how to recognise my most common mistakes.  

HarlequinGoddess

Blocktapus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:54 pm
I use Firefox 2.0 and play MS. The Firefox one is O.K, but they sometimes think what you typed right was wrong, when its right.
On MS, wait, MS has a spell checker? I never knew.
Anyways I vote option 1, that they are great because they are closer to being perfect than closer to being bad.... For me.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:48 am
Word's grammar checker has the strangest suggestions when it says that the phrase is 'hanging.' It makes my 'wrong' phrasing sound sublime when compared to the suggestion.

I have to laugh every time Word's spell checker underlines my name, though. Of course it's going to be underlined, you silly computer. I'm not a common noun xd  

applecyder

Plastic Crayon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:11 am
I like them.. They're pretty ok, but when it comes down to people who don't know how to spell, I consider not using them and having someone else check over it. That's pretty much my opinion. Other than that things are pretty ok.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff