Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Book of the Week Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

XChinaBelleX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:56 pm
ice_lollies
Winnie-the-Pooh and The House on Pooh's Corner by A.A.Milne.
I know it may seem childish, but it really is a good read, and the pictures alongside (by E.H.Shephard) it are adorable. I used to read it when I was little, but now that I've gone back to it there are a lot of subtle adult ideas there too.

Another fantastic 'children's' story is Peter Pan by James Barrie. Especially the one illustrated by the late Trian Hymen. That particular edition came out in the year that I was born and was the specific copy that I grew up with. The illustrations fit the tale perfectly.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:44 pm
I don't know if anyone else here reads the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. But they are really good books.  

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100

Thee Alchemyst

6,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:33 pm
Sounds pretty decent, I will check it out, just like the many other books in here... my personal pick is Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:49 pm
~ The Sight by David Clement-Davies
~ The Waterstone by Rebecca Rupp
~ The Guardians Of Ga'Hoole (entire series) by Kathryn Lasky
~ Eragon by Christopher Paolini
~ Eldest by Christopher Paolini
~ Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
~ Inkspell by Cornelia Funke
~ Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke
~ The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke
~ The Chronicles Of Narnia (entire series) by C.S. Lewis
And, i'd say something about them all but, that'd take way too long! So i'll just say, they rock!! xd  

Calypso91

Zekeachu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:54 pm
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but:

Eragon/Eldest/(Working Title) A.K.A. The Inheritance Trilogy

By: Christopher Paolini.

Edit: Sure, now I notice the post right above mine. Dx  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:33 am
Dream Quest of Unknown Kadeth by H.P. Lovecraft.

Old school edge of your seat thriller that was one of the "gateway novels" for modern horror. Basicly, a man travels in his sleep to a "land of dreams" in search of a city he dreams of. This story tells about his journey, what he sees and encounters, and what such encounters and knowledge does to him.

It's utterly scary at times, while lacking the "hack and slash" that is typical horror these days. It talks about horrors that can barely be imagined, how our dreams are not always what we think we want, and how listening to creatures out of our dreams is not always the best of ideas either. It makes one think hard about one's dreams, question one's dreams, and one's self.

You won't want to put it down once you start, and you also won't want to sleep for a while after reading it either.  

Clearly Opaque

Duke.Lychee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:23 pm
I am currently reading a book with exquisite language and a wonderfully flowing and refreshing plot.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

Another series of books that I love is not remarkably well written, but has a gripping and magical plot:

The Sabriel Series, by Garth Nix  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:54 pm
Has anyone read Wuthering Heights by Charlotte Bronte? I thought it was an excellent book.  

darkrose_eve

1,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

hippiepoet1964

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:22 pm
I just finished "A Maiden's Grave" by Jeffrey Deaver which kept me turning pages quickly. It was pretty gripping and the ending was quite astonishing. I have read several books now by Mr. Deaver, and have not been disappointed with any of them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:49 am
I loved Ishmael, by Daniel Quinn. That was a really great book.  

dark_moon_priestess

AerionDyseti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:44 pm
I recommend The Girl With The Silver Eyes for anyone interested in sci-fi/fantasy...

It's a simple book, middle school level, but still a fascinating read.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:27 pm
The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice. And, Hawksong by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. Those have to be two of my most favourite books.  

subscription cancelled

Questionable Trafficker

8,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Citizen 200

GimplyDropper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:03 pm
Welcome to the Monkey House By Kurt Vonnegut
Very, very, very, very, very strange book. All short stories.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:50 pm
This book hasn't seen any recognition in ages. The Voyage of the Space Beagle by A.E. Van Voght. It felt like a lot of short stories stuck together, but you know what? They were good ones.  

Santus_Lupinus

Wumps

Tipsy Tipper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:26 pm
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items