Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Ask Ms. Knitty (and pals) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Peprika

Noob

7,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:24 pm
Yokee Thanks a bundle!  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:04 pm
I have a question regarding cables. I'm trying to make a hat with cables along the sides and they always end up with holes. They aren't from dropped stitches, it's just loose right next to the cables. Does anyone know any tricks to help with this problem? Thanks!  

Crimson_Rose86

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:34 pm
Crimson_Rose86
I have a question regarding cables. I'm trying to make a hat with cables along the sides and they always end up with holes. They aren't from dropped stitches, it's just loose right next to the cables. Does anyone know any tricks to help with this problem? Thanks!

I get them too. As long as your tension isn't too tight, it should hide itself behind the cable. If they're really obvious, try knitting a little looser and see if that helps disguise them.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:13 pm
Catcheen
Crimson_Rose86

I get them too. As long as your tension isn't too tight, it should hide itself behind the cable. If they're really obvious, try knitting a little looser and see if that helps disguise them.

Well, if tension is the problem that would explain a lot. I have a tendency to knit too tightly. I have been trying to knit the cables even tighter since I figured the holes were due to loose stitches. I'll try knitting more loosely and see if it helps. Thanks for the advice!  

Crimson_Rose86

AccentualWolf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:01 pm
I need some help figuring this out. I found a pattern for a hat that uses slip stitch design and the directions for this pattern is to have stitches multiple of 2 + 1. The hat directions call to add on 69 (or 73) stiches and to knit three rows in 1x1 rib. I know that the 1x1 is the number on stiches in multiples of 2 only. So, since the slip stitch pattern requires an odd number of stitches and the pattern for the begining of the hat require even number of stich how do I do that over an odd number of stitches?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:26 pm
AccentualWolf
I need some help figuring this out. I found a pattern for a hat that uses slip stitch design and the directions for this pattern is to have stitches multiple of 2 + 1. The hat directions call to add on 69 (or 73) stiches and to knit three rows in 1x1 rib. I know that the 1x1 is the number on stiches in multiples of 2 only. So, since the slip stitch pattern requires an odd number of stitches and the pattern for the begining of the hat require even number of stich how do I do that over an odd number of stitches?

I'm going to assume you're doing this in the round... Go ahead and do your 1x1 rib and just start and end with a knit. You'll have one spot that's got two knit stitches right next to each other. Chances are, no one will ever notice. I've deffinately fudged a rib pattern like that and it turns out just dandy. Another option is to do the rib pattern and just increase or decrease one stitch to get an odd number.

If I'm totally missing the mark here, could you post an excerpt from the part of the pattern you're talking about? Maybe a picture of the hat would help too.  

Catcheen
Crew

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:23 pm
Could somebody explain "slip slip knit" or maybe direct me to a video? I can't seem to get the hang of it, and i really want to try this lace pattern my sister bought.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:54 pm
Mikono
Could somebody explain "slip slip knit" or maybe direct me to a video? I can't seem to get the hang of it, and i really want to try this lace pattern my sister bought.

May your wish be granted. http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/decrease.php  

Catcheen
Crew

AccentualWolf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:24 pm
I finally got myself a psp. Yeah! Now I'm trying to figure out how I wan to make my cozy for it. Should I make it big and pick up stitches in the middle to make two seperate areas in it one for the system and one for extra stuff or should I make it really snug for the system and make an outside pocket for extra stuff. What do you think???  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:51 pm
AccentualWolf
I finally got myself a psp. Yeah! Now I'm trying to figure out how I wan to make my cozy for it. Should I make it big and pick up stitches in the middle to make two seperate areas in it one for the system and one for extra stuff or should I make it really snug for the system and make an outside pocket for extra stuff. What do you think???

I, personally, would go with the latter. Just my opinion though. *grin*

Whatever you do, don't use acrylic! Or line it. I've read about quite a few people making iPod cozies with it and the darn things get all scratched up. Wool doesn't seem to have this issue. I'd really hate to see your poor new PSP get scratched.  

Catcheen
Crew

Sammirah

Shirtless Prophet

10,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:49 pm
Maybe this has been asked before, BUT.

It seems like I can only do a sucessful rib stitch every other time I try. There are tricks, aren't there? I would really like to knit my boyfriend a scarf and was thinking of doing something in rib. Can you recommend a good plan of attack? I was also thinking of doing stripes, but like really thick ones, using only two colours. That could work, right?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:14 pm
I was knitting last night (using circle needles), but I didn't exactly get a circle-knit-thing.
User Image
That's a *rather bad xD;;* drawing of what I did.
Did I do something wrong? sweatdrop I just knit, and when it's done, switch it so I can knit....=/
Edit: Meaning it didn't exactly go into this shape: User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. from that Purlwise site you recommended in your 3rd post..or maybe it's because it's purling...*frazzed out right now* x__x;

`Add!e

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:50 pm
Sammirah
Maybe this has been asked before, BUT.

It seems like I can only do a sucessful rib stitch every other time I try. There are tricks, aren't there? I would really like to knit my boyfriend a scarf and was thinking of doing something in rib. Can you recommend a good plan of attack? I was also thinking of doing stripes, but like really thick ones, using only two colours. That could work, right?

No real tricks; you just knit what you see. If you see knit stitches (which were stitches you purled on the previous row) you knit. Same with the purls. I like to calculate how many I cast on so I can always start with a knit stitch. Like if I'm doing a two-by-two rib, I'd cast on a multiple of four, knit two, purl two to the end, turn, repeat.

Stripes are easy. Just change colors at the end of a row and remember to weave your ends in so they don't show.

Hope this helps! *grin*  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:55 pm
.Eluminigh.
I was knitting last night (using circle needles), but I didn't exactly get a circle-knit-thing.

That's a *rather bad xD;;* drawing of what I did.
Did I do something wrong? sweatdrop I just knit, and when it's done, switch it so I can knit....=/
Edit: Meaning it didn't exactly go into this shape: User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. from that Purlwise site you recommended in your 3rd post..or maybe it's because it's purling...*frazzed out right now* x__x;

If I'm interpretting your sketch correctly, it's looking like you're still turning at the end of the row. No need to turn with circulat knitting.

That first stitch you cast on? You're gunna want that over on your left needle and you knit into that to start the "join" and then continue knitting into each next stitch all the way around again and again.

www.knittinghelp.com has a circular knitting tutorial video under "advanced techniques" if you'd like some visual help.

Let me know if I'm totally off base here!  

Catcheen
Crew

Gothic Alice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:31 am
Okay.. so I'm pretty new to knitting.. picked it up on my birthday out of boredom (November 06) I got a couple questions for ya.

1.) Okay.. so I have a block of black knitted material finished... how do I intigrate another color of yarn in to the project?

2.) How do I knit in a circle? The only thing I've done so far that has had to do with circles was.. Knit a large square or rectangle and then sew two ends of m choice together... isn't there another way?

3.) If I were to make something along the lines of arm warmers.. how would I create the needed thumb hole?

my skills: well are almost none.. I have an instructional DVD that shows how to do a continental and an english stitch and how to purl in both fashions, how to decrease and how to increase, basic cast-on and basic cast-off.

Thanks in advance sweatdrop

Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces