Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Parents and Wicca Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you have this problem?
  Yes
  No
  I used to..
View Results

hyacinth hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:49 pm
I was about 15 or 16 when I first told my parents. My dad ignored it and my mom flipped out. Since then, my mom has finally accepted it. This is due in large part to the fact that they attended my very openly Wiccan wedding and figured out just what it is all about. Once they were able to see that there were several older, successful, and 'normal' people in my religion and that it is not dark and evil after all, they came around pretty quickly. My mom even calls me on the Equinoxes and Solstices!  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:35 pm
I didn't tell my parents as much as they just gradually found out as I dropped signs and stuff. I didn't directly say anything but there were several hints I left (accidentally and on purpose) so that they would know.
At first, everyone seemed fine with it and brushed it off but as I became more open about my beliefs and actually talked about them, it seemed to drive a wedge between me and my family. After a long conversation with my father, he told me he was willing to accept whatever I believe so long as it's not dangerous and that I believe in something. I never expected that kind of reaction from him but I was happy. My little sister was the same way.
My mother and brother, however, are the ones I have problems with. With my mom, it's always small, catty remarks that tell me that she really opposes what I believe and doesn't even take me seriously. We generally have a good relationship but my different beliefs have put up a wall between us and she really doesn't want to try and help me knock it down. Same with my brother. He's always sitting and challenging what I believe and demanding solid proof. It's highly annoying and I have found that it's really been driving us apart. However, I think they're really just worried because they don't know a lot about Wicca/Paganism and what I believe. (They're partially to balme for this because they refuse to listen but whatever. stare Not my problem.) As for my other two sisters, it's clear that one of them doesn't care and the other referred to it as "witchcraft bullsh**" and left it at that.
However, I consider myself lucky. It could be way worse and I'm grateful that I don't have it as difficult as some others do...For those of you with the many difficulties, I'm truly sorry you have to deal with the pain, annoyance, frustration, etc.  

TheHangedQueen

Sparkly Reveler

9,350 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:03 pm
xXQueen_AzraelXx
I didn't tell my parents as much as they just gradually found out as I dropped signs and stuff. I didn't directly say anything but there were several hints I left (accidentally and on purpose) so that they would know.
At first, everyone seemed fine with it and brushed it off but as I became more open about my beliefs and actually talked about them, it seemed to drive a wedge between me and my family. After a long conversation with my father, he told me he was willing to accept whatever I believe so long as it's not dangerous and that I believe in something. I never expected that kind of reaction from him but I was happy. My little sister was the same way.
My mother and brother, however, are the ones I have problems with. With my mom, it's always small, catty remarks that tell me that she really opposes what I believe and doesn't even take me seriously. We generally have a good relationship but my different beliefs have put up a wall between us and she really doesn't want to try and help me knock it down. Same with my brother. He's always sitting and challenging what I believe and demanding solid proof. It's highly annoying and I have found that it's really been driving us apart. However, I think they're really just worried because they don't know a lot about Wicca/Paganism and what I believe. (They're partially to balme for this because they refuse to listen but whatever. stare Not my problem.) As for my other two sisters, it's clear that one of them doesn't care and the other referred to it as "witchcraft bullsh**" and left it at that.
However, I consider myself lucky. It could be way worse and I'm grateful that I don't have it as difficult as some others do...For those of you with the many difficulties, I'm truly sorry you have to deal with the pain, annoyance, frustration, etc.
Blessed be )O(

FYI: 'Blessed be' is a ritual phrase within Wicca that's used in a specific context. It shouldn't be used as a greeting or a parting, or casually. It's sacred language, and using it outside ritual or incorrectly can be offensive to Wiccans.

You might not have known that, hense why I posted.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:13 pm
I've yet to tell my folks and probably won't. My dad is very stubborn and thinks that everything he does is right. He's an engineer with a Lutheran upbringing though we never go to church. My mother's side of the family is very religious (also Lutheran) and she would probably kill me if I even mentioned it. My school friends all know as does my Boyfriend and they don't care, I even got a couple of handmade yule cards from my friends at school which I stashed in my band locker so my folks wouldn't find them. I invited my boyfriend over for Christmas Eve and now his folks feel compelled to have me go to their church for the Christmas service. They are Presbyterian and are VERY religious. I'll probably go so I don't piss them off since they even said I didn't have to listen, just be respectful.

I should come out of the broom closet at some point though considering I want a Wiccan wedding and I'd have a hard time explaining to my folks the day of...that'd be a nightmare. Any advice?  

Topaz4293

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:38 am
Well, my mum's misinformed. She thinks it's all voodoo heeby jeeby Evil crap. And that I'll have "Demonic Nightmares".

Also, she laughed at my Yule altar. I wanted to show it her because I was proud of it. She insulted me yesterday. And she said "Right" and left the room. Not even a: I like it! or Well done!

No praise or anything. I'm starting to think my mum's a very negative person.

I'd really like to use magick to help her, but she doesn't "believe it will work".

My dad, on the other hand, he's cool with it.

My grandma asked me to study other religions. Well, I'm not going to. I've only just got started on Wicca, and I'm not going to stop just so I can look into other stuff. I'm the kind of person who gets something, and sticks to it. If you get my drift...  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:54 pm
Azareas Aquarinus
She thinks it's all voodoo heeby jeeby Evil crap.
So what if it was all Vodou. stare

Quote:
My grandma asked me to study other religions. Well, I'm not going to.
I don't know if I would be so proud of not wanting to learn. confused
When I was studying with the Kingstone Coven, my HP asked me to study other religions- why is that bad?

Quote:
I've only just got started on Wicca, and I'm not going to stop just so I can look into other stuff. I'm the kind of person who gets something, and sticks to it. If you get my drift...
But what if there is something that is better for you than Wicca?  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

TheHangedQueen

Sparkly Reveler

9,350 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:17 pm
Morgandria
xXQueen_AzraelXx
Blessed be )O(

FYI: 'Blessed be' is a ritual phrase within Wicca that's used in a specific context. It shouldn't be used as a greeting or a parting, or casually. It's sacred language, and using it outside ritual or incorrectly can be offensive to Wiccans.

You might not have known that, hense why I posted.

Sorry.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:33 pm
xXQueen_AzraelXx

Sorry.

It's no worry. smile Just trying to be informative.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

SADERR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:45 pm
My parents could care less, to be honest.

My mom is an "athiest" as far as the whole diety-part goes, but she's got a very fond nterest in tarot, numerology, and is a very spitirual woman. So, needless to say she is perfectly fine and accepting of it.

My stepdad finds religion interesting, but is, in his words:
"Well, I'm an athiest, but I feel I should say agnostic or something. Don't wanna piss the big guy off, on that slim chance".

As for my dad and stepmom, they don't really know anything of my religious beliefs. My dad is an athiest, and my stepmom is one of those "I guess I believe in god but I don't go to church or pray or give thanks or anything at all" people.

So yeah, it's pretty much a free reign with me. They could care less, and I'm pretty open to whatever.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:22 am
Esiris
Azareas Aquarinus

Quote:
When I was studying with the Kingstone Coven, my HP asked me to study other religions- why is that bad?

Quote:
I've only just got started on Wicca, and I'm not going to stop just so I can look into other stuff. I'm the kind of person who gets something, and sticks to it. If you get my drift...
I think studying another religion can be very helpful.  

pompoennetje

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:23 am
Jonathonn

So yeah, it's pretty much a free reign with me. They could care less, and I'm pretty open to whatever.
This counts for me as well.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 am
Esiris
Azareas Aquarinus

Quote:

Quote:

But it isn't. There's more to Witchcraft thank making people's bones break or whatever.

I'm not saying I won't, just not straight away. I'd like to study more of Wicca/Neo-Paganism and get more in-depth.

That may be. But I feel Wicca is the thing for me. It "drew" me in.  

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:06 am
I want to sit and talk about it with my mum. Who the first witches were (or Pagans). But she's rather childish. She doesn't tend to listen or pay attention. She'd probably forget what I'd tell her anyway...  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:07 am
Azareas Aquarinus
But it isn't. There's more to Witchcraft thank making people's bones break or whatever.

You're working from a position of ignorance regarding Vodou. Vodou is a religion, one Esiris practises.
Quote:

I'm not saying I won't, just not straight away. I'd like to study more of Wicca/Neo-Paganism and get more in-depth.

The way you say "Wicca/Neo-Paganism" implies they are the same thing. To study Neo-Paganism is to study a range of religions.

Quote:

You're very young and you've barely started looking. You have years before you can start practising Wicca anyway; why are you fixated on it so young?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

TheStarlessSkye

8,225 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:35 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Azareas Aquarinus

You're working from a position of ignorance regarding Vodou. Vodou is a religion, one Esiris practises.
Quote:

The way you say "Wicca/Neo-Paganism" implies they are the same thing. To study Neo-Paganism is to study a range of religions.

Quote:

You're very young and you've barely started looking. You have years before you can start practising Wicca anyway; why are you fixated on it so young?

My apologies. I didn't know she did.

Eclectics "borrow", so I'll study a range and see what feels right for myself.

I may be young, but I know when my heart connects to something. As in my heart says: Yes, here it is, in a way.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games