Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Outer Rim
OGG Publisher's Office: Now handling requests and complaints Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 79 80 81 82 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does this belong in the Outer Rim?
  Yes
  No
View Results

stellarmagic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:08 am
Well... I'm adding a bomber to the Imperial Repetoir, I'll create stats for it later. But here's the schematic.

User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:44 am
Almost looks more like something the community woudl use.  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

AFK Masturbating

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:58 am
Nelowulf
Almost looks more like something the community woudl use.

Seconded.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:45 pm
Well... It is designed as a strange hybrid between the Freitek E-wing and the X-wing. I'm sure the community could get ahold of them, but since there isn't an open rebellion yet... They'll sell to the main military buyer. The Empire.

Hell, you could pull a repeat of the Incom defection at some point if you really want the thing. Which you will because I'll make a show of using them against Elladan Kenet.  

stellarmagic

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:21 pm
True, but would the Empire ruin its assets with Seinar to get an Incom ship? I mean monopsonies aren't exactly in competition with anything, they just buy what they find economically satisfying. The USAF is displaying that right now by trying to go to a two-fighter airforce. They want big contracts with lots of savings at the expense of technical superiority and dedicated fightercraft.

The big thing is how does Incom get away with selling to the empire a technologically superior fighter to the empire with Seinar and Kuat holding all the contracts? I mean, just because your fighter performs well does not mean that the buyer will go for it.

I really could see Incom getting the shaft end here, and forced to prove it in battle with a lesser buyer, say, the loyalists?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:26 pm
Because Incom has sold ships to the Empire before. The Empire can't ignore a superior ship especially in the bomber category, Sienar Fleet Systems is fiscally secure from its contracts with Empire, they buid the shuttles and predators. Sienar has nothing to worry about if Incom produces a bomber, besides the empire is huge. There's no way one corporation could satisify the needs of the Galactic Empire's starfighter forces.  

stellarmagic

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:52 pm
True, but how did they do it before?

Seinar had every contract on flying ships for the GALACTIC empire. The point still stands that why split a contract?

Just because there are vast amounts of resources doesn't mean it will be spent window shopping for the latest models. Easiest way to get things is in one big package, no matter how "superior" it is.

If the empire was so willing to find a "superior" fighter, then how come they didn't get the X-wing's successors when they rose to power, instead choosing the Predator? Surely, they would rather have the "superior" fighter descendant of the Xwing rather than just another crappy TIE.

The chances of Incom making a bomber that could rival the production output that Sienar has is impossible. You said so yourself that Sienar is much larger. So, right now they want quantity, not quality.

Its simple economics. We're not playing the protoss with the Dark Archon, to get carriers, ultralisks, and a series of goliath walkers to create the uber army. The Sith Government would go for the most fiscally sound model, which would be the Sienar bomber, since it can be produced side-by-side with their fighters, with the same company, belting out more than they can ask for. And, for a cheaper price tag, none-the-less.

When you're the one holding the purse, purchasing ten good units versus twenty normal ones may sound stupid. But with the resources of the empire, that twenty can quickly grow to be twenty thousand in weeks. This isn't a perfect world either. Some pilots are better than others. You don't put rookie pilots in a great ship because they'll just die. The rebellion was lucky since most pilots were pretty well trained anyhow.

Plus, you are making it out to be as if Incom depended on military sales to stay in buisness. They tend to do quite well on the pirate models.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:09 pm
what do you mean by Pirate models?  

Sol Walker
Crew

stellarmagic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:06 pm
Quote:
Seinar had every contract on flying ships for the GALACTIC empire.

Guess what... Wrong!

Sure Sienar Fleet Systems built the TIE series and its subsidiary Cygnus Shipworks built the the Gunboat and Missile Boat, but there were other ships in the Imperial Arsenal.

Kuat Drive Yards, Sorosuub, and Incom all had starfighters that were utilized by the Galactic Empire (A-9 Vigilance, Preybird Fighter, and the I-7 Howlrunner). The T-97 isn't a fighter, it fullfills the same combat role as the old ARC-170 and is meant as an assault bomber in addition to reconisance and close support roles that were carried out by the ARC.

As for which ship is superior... Guess what, the TIE Predator is the better fighter craft compared to the X-wing derived ships that incom produced in mass. It's something of a role reversal in that way, the Incom starfighter we've seen in Legacy is a flimsy and clumsy ship that is cheap, the Predator is easily superior. The same can not be said for Bombers where the T-97 is the superior beast.

It's like a K-wing made out with an X-wing and this thing popped out. It's as fast as an X-wing of the era, fairly well shielded and has three directly mounted weapons, a pair of laser cannons and a nose mounted autoblaster that is only barely visible. It isn't meant to engage in dogfights but can fly through a furball and survive, something K-wings seemed to have trouble doing.

It has fourteen hardpoints on the underside of its wing that can be equipped with a variety of different weapons systems, from Heavy Rockets and Plasma Bombs (K-wings carried these) to Cluster Missile dispensers.

So the Empire has got the best dogfighter and the best strike bomber known in the Galaxy. Are we surprised?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:39 pm
Quote:
Kuat Drive Yards, Sorosuub, and Incom all had starfighters that were utilized by the Galactic Empire (A-9 Vigilance, Preybird Fighter, and the I-7 Howlrunner). The T-97 isn't a fighter, it fullfills the same combat role as the old ARC-170 and is meant as an assault bomber in addition to reconisance and close support roles that were carried out by the ARC.

Isn't it interesting how the A-9, the Preybird, and the I-7 were also so crappy that the Empire only bought a few, and they ended up in the hands of pirates and others?

I know about the A-9, the Preybird, and I-7. I also know that compared to the TIE series, they couldn't compete. The A-9 was notorious for being very weak defensively, despite being faster than the TIE-In and stronger lasers. The Preybird didn't have enough demand because sullustians made it, and the I-7 only competed against older fighters, due to it being outdated before it was produced.

Don't take me for some random idiot you find of the street. I know a little bit more than you give me credit for. Just because I haven't read many books on the Star Wars universe does not mean I don't know anything about it. You want to call me wrong? Then show where any one of the three fighters you mentioned displaced the Sienar TIE series.

Sure, they competed for the starfighter market. Sure, they were bought by the empire. Excluding the Preybird, the other two were also aquired by the republic and did little to improve upon the success story of the TIE.

None of them were the equivalent of the X-wing's replacement of the Y. Heck, they didn't even make a scratch in the overall scheme.  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:46 pm
Oi vey...
should I break out the blaster pistols and space off a twenty pace patch of land for the two of you?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:59 pm
Perhaps it wasn't his intent, but it came off as a slap in the face, as if he was suggesting that the preybird, I-7, and A-9 replaced the entire fleet, and that my statement that Sienar held all the contracts of importance was like saying Luke was the prince of Alderaan.  

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:11 pm
He has a habit of saying things in a matter that tends to offend.
He doesnt really mean any of it.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:20 pm
Well the Preybird did completely replace the TIEs in the starfighter core for a couple of years. Not more then three but they did replace the TIEs for awhile.  

stellarmagic

Nelowulf
Vice Captain

Codger

6,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:08 pm
Not real ones.

Only a few of those got off production lines specifically made for the empire.

Only late in the GCW with the remnant did they even take the role of "supplementary fighter" for the TIE legions. And those weren't produced by Sorusuub anyhow, since the company went to the republic years earlier. The Remnant used them, which was embarassing to Sienar anyhow.

By the YV war, all preybirds bought were pretty much gone and disappeared.

Nowhere did they actually "completely replace" the TIEs. Don't push it.  
The Outer Rim

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 79 80 81 82 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff