Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Are ALL goths depressed? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 16 17 18 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GEMOBOY1

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:35 am
WELL I EASILY GET DEPRESSED BUT THATS JUST ME SO NO NOT ALL GOYHS ARE DEPRESSED.  
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:00 am
Death Thistle
No, people be who they want to be.. and another thing, why does every one think all emos are depressed? Just because some one looks a certain way and does certain things, doesnt mean they are all EXACTLY the same. Each person is an indivdual, and people should respect that.

People think all Emos are depressed because that's what their label suggests, and most people are too lazy to even think about anything for themselves. They just assume "Emo=emotional=DEPRESSED!" and that's about the extent of their thoughts on it. The Emos changed their style [after like 2 months of existence], and now they're "Scene". They dress the exact same way, listen to the exact same music, act the exact same way, etc. The only difference is the color of their clothes. That's it, really. I'm sort of relieved that Emos came about though. Now instead of the Goths getting all the rap for being the depressed ones, it's the Emos. I don't like how people confuse the two, and it's like the Emos have sort of stole from our identity, but it doesn't matter anyways. It's just the mainstream's way of trying to imitate us, again, and failing, again. I still get called an Emo every now and then just because I have bangs stare My hair is basically exactly like my avy's, only prolly shorter in the back and it doesn't flip outwards on the ends. That's Emo how? confused  

DioRte

Bloody Loon

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:17 am
Well, I think that very little amounts of goth people are depressed, except if they have brain issues...

I get random bouts of depression, which I really try to get rid of, so frankly, the question is worded poorly. I think you should be saying "Do all goths try and be depressed?" and the answer to that is a most resounding no. Some goths are depressed, but depression is actually a clinical condition, and goths do not try to eminate that. Emos do... And we ALL hate emos... Ignorant poseurs tend to try and be depressed, in order to be "goth" to be "cool".

But yeah, I try and take on a happy, positive nature, as do most goths, but I still look upon the disgusting world that we have today, and write depressingly realistic poetry about it.  
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:10 pm
Kaishi Kyouki
Well, I think that very little amounts of goth people are depressed, except if they have brain issues...

I get random bouts of depression, which I really try to get rid of, so frankly, the question is worded poorly. I think you should be saying "Do all goths try and be depressed?" and the answer to that is a most resounding no. Some goths are depressed, but depression is actually a clinical condition, and goths do not try to eminate that. Emos do... And we ALL hate emos... Ignorant poseurs tend to try and be depressed, in order to be "goth" to be "cool".

But yeah, I try and take on a happy, positive nature, as do most goths, but I still look upon the disgusting world that we have today, and write depressingly realistic poetry about it.

I don't hate emos neutral
Hating someone simply for a subculture is stupid. And even if most "emos" are of a mallcore trend, they are not of a collective mind. I've met a few mallcores who regularly drape themselves in Hot Topic garbage, but they still are - on a personal level - decent people.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Lila Malvae

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:26 pm
I only get depressed when shitty things happen and I can't do anything about it. But from my understanding, most people act similarly in such circumstances. As long as I keep stress out of my life, I don't have any problems. And normally, I find that other people cause the stressful and thus depressing stimulii, and by cutting that factor out of my life, I am less stressed and less depressed.  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:47 am
It's hard to tell, because depressed people tend to be in denial. xP It's a lot like the "repressed homosexual" theory.

Personally, I think that there's a bigger percentage of depressed people in the goth community than in the average population; people with depression tend to feel "dark" and have morbid thoughts, it's only natural that they'd be drawn to the culture.

However... it'd be pretty ignorant to say that all goths are depressed, as they're not really inclusive, and really, there are a lot more healthy, happy goths out there than people give them credit for. x]  

Myollnir

xslipknotmaniacx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:53 am
depends if something happened in their life or if they're inlove  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:15 pm
Goths: Don't always wear black, Don't worship satan, Are NOT evil, Do not want to kill people, Do not hate everybody, Are not always depressed, Can be happy too, Are usually nice people, Are normal, just like you..  

VampyreofGraves

osirisgoauldgoddess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:16 pm
I had phases of depression and happiness. Overall I`m a happy person.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:45 pm
CypressMoons
Goths: Don't always wear black, Don't worship satan, Are NOT evil, Do not want to kill people, Do not hate everybody, Are not always depressed, Can be happy too, Are usually nice people, Are normal, just like you..

Something about that VF list makes me want to puke... I'm not sure why, but something about it just irks me (which is largely my feeling about VF in general).  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

jaenus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:06 pm
-Resurrected Writer-
CypressMoons

Something about that VF list makes me want to puke... I'm not sure why, but something about it just irks me (which is largely my feeling about VF in general).

I just want to differ from the normal part. Goths are not normal, they are unique.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:10 pm
jaenus
-Resurrected Writer-
CypressMoons

I just want to differ from the normal part. Goths are not normal, they are unique.

"Everyone is special."
"Which is the same as saying the no one is."

~The Incredibles

A prep amongst goths is a rebel surrounded by the mainstream, a rarity amongst the mundane.

"Unique" is a situational condition.  

GilAskan
Crew

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:21 pm
Jesus. This post is from LAST YEAR people! Why the hell was THIS one resurrected out of all the old posts?
What a redundant question to want to answer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:56 am
spooky_sez
Jesus. This post is from LAST YEAR people! Why the hell was THIS one resurrected out of all the old posts?
What a redundant question to want to answer.

I've never understood why certain threads get resurrected and others don't. I would guess (in this case) it's because the question is a very clear one and it's asked in the title.  

GilAskan
Crew

lyssiah

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:45 am
Veruniel
Chaos A.D.
dumb question..no they're not, we're gothic not emo....

I think there's a certain misunderstanding about what depression is, here.

Being Emo does not automatically mean you're depressed. Even if you show every negative Emo stereotype there is (whinging, writing bad poetry, claiming that you're totally miserable), it's not necessarily a sign of depression.

Most depressed people do not advertise the fact. They are ashamed of their condition and go to great lengths to hide it. If they 'cut' or otherwise damage themselves, they will put the scars in places that can be easily hidden. If they feel miserable, they will not talk about it except to their closest friends; the last thing they want is to cause a scene, because they don't feel they deserve any sympathy.

While not all goths are depressed, some most definitely are. You'll find the same percent of depressed people in practially every subculture. It's a physical disability and doesn't affect personal taste that much. Hell, I've known some seriously depressed scenesters and preppies in my time.

Personally? I am a depressed goth. I'm not ashamed to admit it, because long years of treatment have taught me that this problem is not willfull attention seeking and is not morally reprehensible. But you couldn't tell I have it if you met me. It's possible to be an optimistic person even if you have depression, because when the desease is not attacking you, you're as lucid and 'normal' as anyone else.

So true.
I have been depressed the majority of my life, but I never showed it. All my friends thought that I was happy go lucky and cute. Now when I am actually opening up to them and sharing my life they are totally flabbergasted at all the things that have happened and that I hid it so well.
This could be one of the first times in my life that I feel like I have kicked depression.
I don't dress goth because I am depressed, sometimes I just feel like doing black from head to toe for no reason and I do.

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 16 17 18 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff