Welcome to Gaia! ::

Galactic Empire: The Official Star Wars Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Star Wars guild since it's creation nearly 8 years ago. Join the Empire, be part of the legacy. 

Tags: Star Wars, Official, Jedi, Sith, Empire 

Reply The Second Imperium
AskYoda.com ((Trivia and General ?'s)) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 65 66 67 68 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:56 am
Remember how well droid ships worked in episode 1? one fighter flies in the hangar and blows the whole thing up. also I guess the idea of automated fighters and the like suffered signifigant drawbacks after the clone wars. manned equipment won out in popularity.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:00 am
Yeah, but look at the Ssi-Ruuvi. Theirs worked fine... of course, they were piloted by souls, but let's just put in some Energizers instead. sweatdrop  

jedi_master_tenku

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:12 am
jedi_master_tenku
Yeah, but look at the Ssi-Ruuvi. Theirs worked fine... of course, they were piloted by souls, but let's just put in some Energizers instead. sweatdrop
hmm. energizers. they do keep going and going. but we have to factor in popular opinion of droid craft at the time. the rebels were suposed to be good guys. the sepratists, while rebels themselves were lead by a sith. the Alliance would have wanted to distance themselves as far as possible from that rebellion in order to keep up their good guy image.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:18 am
True... But what about slaved ships or something then? With a remote control, their would be no loss of Rebel life, though it might get a bit expensive.  

jedi_master_tenku

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:22 am
jedi_master_tenku
True... But what about slaved ships or something then? With a remote control, their would be no loss of Rebel life, though it might get a bit expensive.
its damn expensive. and its tricky as hell to operate. a slaved computer can preform basic mauevers, but are horible at adapting to situations. the slave 1's Slaved computer can mimic standard rebel allaiance fighter maneuvers, but thats pry a high end model.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:25 am
There must be a way around this, other than sending in a bunch of kamikaze runners...  

jedi_master_tenku

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:34 am
jedi_master_tenku
There must be a way around this, other than sending in a bunch of kamikaze runners...
I'd suggest ace pilots, or heavy capital ships. however, capital ships are rarely in the alliance budget, and aces are hard to come by, they have a habit of dying from other aces shooting them down. hmm in the U.S. airforce, an ace is a pilot who has made five kills. do you suppose the same holds true for the pilots of star wars?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:37 am
Hmm... I don't know. I wonder if it says anywhere?
Plus, you wouldn't want ace pilots dying in suicide runs... They'd have to eject right before hand or something... But that's not a whole lot safer. sweatdrop  

jedi_master_tenku

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:39 am
jedi_master_tenku
Hmm... I don't know. I wonder if it says anywhere?
Plus, you wouldn't want ace pilots dying in suicide runs... They'd have to eject right before hand or something... But that's not a whole lot safer. sweatdrop
then convetional battleship combat is the way to go. however, the empire seemed to always be waiting for this kind of combat. the SSD is a super heavy cruiser, the Death Stars are mobile weapon platforms, both designed to take out heavy cruisers.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:04 am
Well, what about this:
The A-wing made it past the defenses, and we know they still never consider one-man fighters much threat, right? Well, if you specially train an elite group of pilots specifically for going in and hitting one target, you could make it so that they swooped in past the defenses and, having been loaded up with tons of proton torpedoes and other big, explosive things, let loose their whole set in one barrage and then high-tailed it outta there back to a safe spot at the back of the fleet.  

jedi_master_tenku

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:13 am
jedi_master_tenku
Well, what about this:
The A-wing made it past the defenses, and we know they still never consider one-man fighters much threat, right? Well, if you specially train an elite group of pilots specifically for going in and hitting one target, you could make it so that they swooped in past the defenses and, having been loaded up with tons of proton torpedoes and other big, explosive things, let loose their whole set in one barrage and then high-tailed it outta there back to a safe spot at the back of the fleet.
believe it or not thats standard rebel anti-Cap ship tequnique. the rebles were also fond of making attack runs on the bridge sections of the stardestroyers. they started by skimming the dorsal hull and then launched a pair of torps right at the command tower. many SD captains were deathly afraid of these kind of attacks due to their effective ness on the Death Star, though they didn't do much damage to a combat ship. it was known as "trench run disease".  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:14 am
CaleDarksun
jedi_master_tenku
I'd suggest ace pilots, or heavy capital ships. however, capital ships are rarely in the alliance budget, and aces are hard to come by, they have a habit of dying from other aces shooting them down. hmm in the U.S. airforce, an ace is a pilot who has made five kills. do you suppose the same holds true for the pilots of star wars?

In Rogue Squadron book one the same holds true for the rogues. Five kills in a mission makes you an Ace. Gavin was givin trouble for not being an ace in that book but he eventually made five kills in one mission at the end of the book.  

Flamer42

Sol Walker
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:02 am
Flamer42
CaleDarksun
jedi_master_tenku

In Rogue Squadron book one the same holds true for the rogues. Five kills in a mission makes you an Ace. Gavin was givin trouble for not being an ace in that book but he eventually made five kills in one mission at the end of the book.
with the numbers used and their inherent flimsyness, downing five ties would only require a couple well placed shots. downing five interceptors is another matter entirely. vaping five squints is rogue squad material. but not the rank and file Tie.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:59 am
They did not specify what types of tie all five were but I know there were both squints and eyeballs in that count.  

Flamer42

Lady Zombie Robot

Swashbuckling Pirate

9,500 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:50 pm
Has any one ever heard of this jedi dude... Rodann? He sounds pretty cool, but I've only seen him on one site so far, not that I've looked with search engines yet or anything...  
The Second Imperium

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 65 66 67 68 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff