Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Naruto Guild
Official SERIOUS Naruto Anime and Manga discussion Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... 114 115 116 117 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Captain Verd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:17 pm
Even if by now Shikamaru is addicted to smoking, he didn't keep doing it because he got hooked after that one. He kept doing it at first not because he needed more, but because Asuma did it and he looked up to him. It's not ritual or anything weird like that, it's simple copy and paste. When people have idols, they generally try to live up to what they think are the standards of that idol. They copy the things their idol does, says, and looks like because it makes them feel better. Shikamaru isn't above all this. He started smoking and using the blades because Asuma used them.

I understand you can make the smoking arguement that it's addictive, but using blades isn't, so it leaves me to question your arguement.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:34 pm
Captain Verd
Even if by now Shikamaru is addicted to smoking, he didn't keep doing it because he got hooked after that one. He kept doing it at first not because he needed more, but because Asuma did it and he looked up to him. It's not ritual or anything weird like that, it's simple copy and paste. When people have idols, they generally try to live up to what they think are the standards of that idol. They copy the things their idol does, says, and looks like because it makes them feel better. Shikamaru isn't above all this. He started smoking and using the blades because Asuma used them.

I understand you can make the smoking arguement that it's addictive, but using blades isn't, so it leaves me to question your arguement.
Have you ever smoked?

Ritual is not defined as a... well, task of worship. It is ritual for me to head straight to the bathroom every morning and play sudoku. I'm not making a point or worshipping a God. I believed Shikamaru may have been honoring Asuma again, but what makes me question your arguement is that he was smoking as we he was launching into a mission. The next day (or days later).

As far as the blades go, I can agree that is passing of a legacy. That is not what I am questioning. It's the smoking that I am questioning.

I know he isn't above such influences... he's a lot like his father. He considers him a smart man. But doesn't understand him. Anyone in his position would be intrigued.

@ Hohn:
1. It's hooking VERY quickly, ESPECIALLY in minors (because of our size, brain developement, etc). I err... I was naughty and tried it once, and I was in withdrawl for days after. Meaning I burned for it. Mostly mentally. But my arms kind of burned when I saw it. No doubt Shikamaru is a big boy now, but there is nothing saying he isn't addicted. I'd like to see Ino take it out of his mouth. Would he not care or react negatively?

Shikamaru is a very ritualistic person. xd I'm surprised no one noticed. "Mendokusee" is part of his ritual. Ever notice how predictable he can be?

But yeah... The chapter after, I can't say it's still honor. At the funeral, yes. He was reminiscing. But the day after he was still on it. For no reason.  

Syndactyly

Syndactyly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:40 pm
shadowninjaofthemist
Well, if you just say stuff like, "I THINK this is wants gonna happen" and dont bash anyone who disagress with you, then we are fine. But they way you go about telling people your ideas, and how you act like everyones elses ideas are so increadibley stupid, THAT is what pisses me off.

But when you say "well I think it might be the Kyuubi, thats just a hunch though" THAT is the way you can tell peoples ideas without seeming like and arrogant p***k when/if you are wrong.

But i digress. that is an interesting idea. The Kyuubi being the king. But, does Shikamaru know that the nine tails in sealed in Naruto? ( i honestly dont remember if anyone has told him or not) But the Kyuubi being the king is completly possible and would be unexpected.
Is this about what is RIGHT and WRONG or about your own very personal preferance and grudges? It is very, very evident that you got angry very, very suddenly and jumped the gun to attack so harshly for somewhat personal reasons. You would not be treating me like s**t for simply being arrogant if that was the case. Because that would be hypocritical. By attacking the "aggressor" (me), you are no better.

A lot of the ideas people come with ARE incredibly stupid. What is even better is that I will prove them wrong, and they will conviniently end that part of the arguement, assuming I won't notice. I notice everytime, and consider my word was still in affect, and that I was correct. Because if one cannot argue something, then there is no more to be said.

Shikamaru is suspicious. The only person to have really seen it is Neji, and even Neji doesn't know, unless it was told amongst his clan. Shikamaru's father may have told him for his self protection, but for Shikamaru to question why he's the keima also proves that... well, he can't necessarily put two and two together. Even if he knew, he might not have made that connection. He is definately far more on the logic side than the creative side. That is what makes the riddle hard for him.

I'm sure we could figure it out, but in fear of being wrong, people keep shut about it.

I would like it if the Kyuubi was the king. It fits. And no one has guessed it before me (that I've seen here or on Naruto Fan). xd But... I was wrong about Shikamaru. Who knows what else I'm wrong with... Damn, I hate him. He's such an enigma... Now I know what they mean when they say girls go for the dark and mysterious guys... except he's so matter-of-fact yet pokerfaced... damn him. gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:49 pm
Shikalee
Captain Verd

Have you ever smoked?

Ritual is not defined as a... well, task of worship. It is ritual for me to head straight to the bathroom every morning and play sudoku. I'm not making a point or worshipping a God. I believed Shikamaru may have been honoring Asuma again, but what makes me question your arguement is that he was smoking as we he was launching into a mission. The next day (or days later).

As far as the blades go, I can agree that is passing of a legacy. That is not what I am questioning. It's the smoking that I am questioning.

I know he isn't above such influences... he's a lot like his father. He considers him a smart man. But doesn't understand him. Anyone in his position would be intrigued.
Yes. I didn't like it, and never did it again.

The smoking isn't supposed to be literal. Even if he is addicted, it's meant to be a symbol, just like the chakra blades, of carrying on for Asuma. In case you didn't notice, Kishimoto has a very weird view on smoking. Asuma quits so he can concentrate? Yes, because withdrawl is going to help him keep his mind on the mission. eek  

Captain Verd

Syndactyly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:30 pm
Captain Verd
Shikalee
Captain Verd

Have you ever smoked?

Yes. I didn't like it, and never did it again.

The smoking isn't supposed to be literal. Even if he is addicted, it's meant to be a symbol, just like the chakra blades, of carrying on for Asuma. In case you didn't notice, Kishimoto has a very weird view on smoking. Asuma quits so he can concentrate? Yes, because withdrawl is going to help him keep his mind on the mission. eek
Neither did I. Though sometimes I am still tempted... >O>;;

I don't think it still is. Maybe I'm wrong. It is a story in a FAKE world, where anything can happen. I've just always considered Shikamaru more logical than that. Besides the fact it sort of became a part of him. An accessory. He is definately making a statement, but I'm not sure if it all screams Asuma.

No. Kishimoto is right. The affects of withdrawl don't take affect until probably hours after. For long time smokers maybe a full day, because the nicotine is still in the system. Smoking relaxes the mind. Everything blurrs into one sort of conglomerate ball of not caring. It's not literal; it doesn't make you high. But it's distracting and tends to make the smoker care less. To smoke say 3 cigs, and then to take the last out, the difference in mind focus is rather significant.

Besides, Asuma was lying to Shikamaru. He was stopping to build his strength and prevent his distruction. He knew he was a bounty head. It didn't help much, though.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:48 pm
You're vision on the Shikamaru smoking issue is blurry because you're a raging famgirl for him. When he starts doing something you don't like, you try to find a different solution than the one that displeases you, because it makes his character less likeable in your eyes.

It doesn't say when Asuma stopped smoking, except when he put his cig on Sandaime's grave. So we really can't argue this.

That said about Shikamaru fangirlism, I don't want to hear more of your weird theories about why he started smoking. It's pretty clear to me and everyone else why he's doing it, and if you want to make up something totally random, be my guest. Just don't tell me about it.  

Captain Verd

Syndactyly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:07 pm
Captain Verd
You're vision on the Shikamaru smoking issue is blurry because you're a raging famgirl for him. When he starts doing something you don't like, you try to find a different solution than the one that displeases you, because it makes his character less likeable in your eyes.

It doesn't say when Asuma stopped smoking, except when he put his cig on Sandaime's grave. So we really can't argue this.

That said about Shikamaru fangirlism, I don't want to hear more of your weird theories about why he started smoking. It's pretty clear to me and everyone else why he's doing it, and if you want to make up something totally random, be my guest. Just don't tell me about it.
I think raging fangirl is a pretty harsh and negative description. What makes me not quite that is that I've had feelings about him. For probably two years now. I admit I have things in common with fangirls, but I would not classify myself as one, simply because fangirls usually like a guy for a week, obsess over him rather sexually... don't get me wrong, I have my jokes. But I joke about all the characters in a crude manner. I find something ver humorous about making a kids show portrayed in a perverted manner. Fangirls are blind. I know this character thick and thin. I know there are things I want to believe.

No, no. Actually, my explaination is less to my liking. Painful truth. I would find it romantic, and probably sexy that he was "honoring" Asuma. That's a sincere thing to do; a romantic man would do that. But I just don't think that's the case. I'm very displeased that he's smoking no matter the reason, and I'd definately prefer your solution over mine. But to me, mine seems more realistic to his character.

No, no. Let me think... Chapter... 321. Shikamaru asks Asuma why he hasn't been smoking. I believe it's the second to the last page. Asuma never quit. But he cut down.

Please. Fangirlism is an exagirration. It's really just a little crush. Hell, I felt similar about Yamato. Then I realized I didn't know two shits about him. Point is, liking someone doesn't make you entirely blind to them, their actions, their mannerisms... that's ridiculous. I won't say it is true with this case, but in some cases, the one who likes the person knows them better than anyone. I know that's not true because Kishimoto knows him best, and he's not a real guy.

Basically you took what I said as a weapon and used it against me. If you really believed it, you would have come up with it before I had. But since you didn't, it wasn't what you based your beliefs for my alleged fallicity on. You just needed a reason to say I was wrong without providing evidence, and I think it's a lame excuse for a comeback to say everything I say is wrong simply because I have... well, different feelings for him than the other characters. Clearly, that's irrelevant to the facts both you and I present.

I think you all seek the obvious answer. smile Apparently, the obvious answer is not always correct with this author.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:17 pm
A fangirl is someone who obsesses over a character, and that's all.

The only reason I say it now is because I read your response out loud, and my sister reminded me that most fangirls come up with weird ideas to better fit their image of the character. That's all. Besides, there's no evidence either way. It's purely spectulation and the author's literary trends.  

Captain Verd

Syndactyly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:00 pm
Captain Verd
A fangirl is someone who obsesses over a character, and that's all.

The only reason I say it now is because I read your response out loud, and my sister reminded me that most fangirls come up with weird ideas to better fit their image of the character. That's all. Besides, there's no evidence either way. It's purely spectulation and the author's literary trends.
Fine. I hate to say this, but... Well, whatever. If you love someone, is it an obsession? I don't think so. confused

Most. Not all. And I still don't consider myself a fangirl, nor do I consider him an obsession... I'm far more obsessed with Naruto than him. I'm far more obsessed with monks than Naruto. I don't think that liking something, admiring something... someone... it's hard to say when it's based entirely on personality, not at all on human interaction. Because it's weird. But I asked people... most people could understand. Adults, I mean. They all say they've run into a time where they were attached to someone in a novel. It's not abnormal. Though, what I am going through is, I still wouldn't call it an obsession.

I know you love sticking me between a rock and a hard place. But it doesn't make you right. And it doesn't make me an obsessive, blind, mindless fool, who likes someone for strange materialistic reasons... all fangirls claim "their guy" is hot. Everyone knows I'm joking if I ever say that about him. I don't regard anyone like an object. It's disrespectful.

Like I asked first, is love obsessive? I love my family. I've loved a boy... for 6 years. He's gay, so I can't have him. But I love him. My protection of him was a tad obsessive; and I would save him countless times from bad situations. But my love for him was not obessive. Love falls under another catagory. It's just not the same as mindless fangirlism. I don't give a damn what you say, there's a difference between what I feel (and other people feel) and what you and I call a fangirl. There are people out there who love Naruto. The boy. And strive to meet someone like him one day. I know that is impossible for me, but I can't just eat feelings. No one can.

To read this aloud and ask your sister for assistance is pretty pathetic... This is just the internet, after all. It's also a little ridiculous, to fear me enough and to oppose me enough to require assistance. xd And I want to hear what you have to say. Not your team of fighters. confused

Literacy trends tend to make more sense, and be true far more often than assumptions. At least I base my claim off of fact. If you can find a moment when Shikamaru is compassionate, that'll be the day.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:25 pm
Assistance? Please. I read this out loud to her because she thinks you're insane and gets a huge giggle at alot of what you say.

That said, go look at Mrs. Sephiroth. She's obviously an obsessive, crazy fangirl, but she's in love with Sephiroth.  

Captain Verd

Mist-san

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:12 pm
Shikalee
Is this about what is RIGHT and WRONG or about your own very personal preferance and grudges? It is very, very evident that you got angry very, very suddenly and jumped the gun to attack so harshly for somewhat personal reasons. You would not be treating me like s**t for simply being arrogant if that was the case. Because that would be hypocritical. By attacking the "aggressor" (me), you are no better.

A lot of the ideas people come with ARE incredibly stupid. What is even better is that I will prove them wrong, and they will conviniently end that part of the arguement, assuming I won't notice. I notice everytime, and consider my word was still in affect, and that I was correct. Because if one cannot argue something, then there is no more to be said.

Shikamaru is suspicious. The only person to have really seen it is Neji, and even Neji doesn't know, unless it was told amongst his clan. Shikamaru's father may have told him for his self protection, but for Shikamaru to question why he's the keima also proves that... well, he can't necessarily put two and two together. Even if he knew, he might not have made that connection. He is definately far more on the logic side than the creative side. That is what makes the riddle hard for him.

I'm sure we could figure it out, but in fear of being wrong, people keep shut about it.

I would like it if the Kyuubi was the king. It fits. And no one has guessed it before me (that I've seen here or on Naruto Fan). xd But... I was wrong about Shikamaru. Who knows what else I'm wrong with... Damn, I hate him. He's such an enigma... Now I know what they mean when they say girls go for the dark and mysterious guys... except he's so matter-of-fact yet pokerfaced... damn him. gonk

Well, I "attack" you becuase I find you very arrogant and cocky, and I HATE cocky people. It's teenagers like you that make adults see that "all teenagers act like they know it all". I do know its not your fault that they think that, but you just help them prove their point. Its nothing personal, I just find it very annoying that you act like you know more that anyone else. And just because you dont agree with someones theory, dosent make it "incredibly stupid". I might think some of your ideas are hairbrained (like the Shikamaru isnt going to be a smoker, I had a hunch he was going to, but I had no proof against your theory, so I said nothing), but no proof, no talk. And like I have said before, if you word your theories differently, you wouldnt seem like such a cocky arrogant girl.

And you are right about no one else has said that the Kyuubi is the king (at least this is the first time that i've seen it). It would make sense to me if he was.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:05 pm
Captain Verd
Assistance? Please. I read this out loud to her because she thinks you're insane and gets a huge giggle at alot of what you say.

That said, go look at Mrs. Sephiroth. She's obviously an obsessive, crazy fangirl, but she's in love with Sephiroth.
I suppose if that is how she gains pleasure.

Sephiroth... Is a very typical character. I'm sure anyone experienced with Final Fantasy can name 10 guys whom are exactly like him... that are real.  

Syndactyly

Captain Verd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:17 pm
Your point?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:17 pm
shadowninjaofthemist
Shikalee

Well, I "attack" you becuase I find you very arrogant and cocky, and I HATE cocky people. It's teenagers like you that make adults see that "all teenagers act like they know it all". I do know its not your fault that they think that, but you just help them prove their point. Its nothing personal, I just find it very annoying that you act like you know more that anyone else. And just because you dont agree with someones theory, dosent make it "incredibly stupid". I might think some of your ideas are hairbrained (like the Shikamaru isnt going to be a smoker, I had a hunch he was going to, but I had no proof against your theory, so I said nothing), but no proof, no talk. And like I have said before, if you word your theories differently, you wouldnt seem like such a cocky arrogant girl.

And you are right about no one else has said that the Kyuubi is the king (at least this is the first time that i've seen it). It would make sense to me if he was.
How is this relevant to the guild, Naruto, or anything otherwise? I don't find it arrogant for me to stand here now, questioning your very easily arguable ridiculous behavior. It must have been pretty damn bad for Verd to call on it; she's a very tolerant girl.

First of all, how do you personally know my age? Second, how does my views on a comic book affect my overall character? xd I'm sorry if laughing at the lack of logic in this post is considered arrogant. I believe anyone with logic, which is quite a bit of people, would not see where you connected two and two together on that. You don't know my character, you don't know who I am, and it's rather arrogant of you to think such. It's also arrogant of you to believe that I, not you, or anyone else here, am part of the cause of teenage stereotype. They think teenagers are arrogant fools because most of them are. If you are a teen, you fall under that catagory as well. As does Verd. And I. And most teens. Because the teen mind is under strenuous developement. It won't be until another 5-10 years that teenagers' brains have reached the developement to comprehend certain concepts. This falls under concieving other's views. Obviously if you and I were not stubborn we could come to some sort of agreement. Obviously of we, you, or I were so great, we wouldn't be sitting around on an online community, in a guild deticated to a fictional world, jabbering about it, until we have gotten so off topic that it has reached an unecessary personal level; which, might I add, you brought upon us. Never did I censure you in such a manner. Not until you came on me with your heinous alligations.

In my real life, yes, outside of this interweb, I sound rather different. Because on the internet, I can be arrogant, I can be an a**, and I can be a complete jerk, and actually not hurt anyone. Everyone... well, most people, laugh it off. Quite quickly. Verd and I have argued and made up probably 3 times now. She gets over it. I get over it. Then something comes up again and she calls me names. It's just the flow of internet behavior. Time is not in affect here. You come back, reply, as though 13 hours hasn't passed. As though a week has not passed. Because it hasn't. Not here. Time stops in the forum.

Knowing more than anyone else? I do believe when it comes to Shikamaru, and maybe a few other characters, I am more knowledgeable in their actual behavior. People read a few chapters, watch a few episodes, and base off of assumptions. I've read character books. I've spent many nerdy hours reading about this. Nerdy, yes. So I read Star Wars, Naruto, and whatever, instead of whatever you kids read. Or maybe you don't read. I'm not into going out and being a social butterfly freaking around everyone. I am far more interested in entomology. And stories.

Hey, I took the "incredibly stupid" quote from your mouth. Don't put it in mine.

The same could be said for you. That you are cocky and arrogant... It could be said for all of us. Because we have opinions.

The Kyuubi feeling IS a hunch, and has no basis. I am certain I am wrong, though it would be interesting.  

Syndactyly

Syndactyly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:23 pm
Captain Verd
Your point?
None taken.

I digress. I don't care what names you call me. It doesn't make me know any less than you. So you aren't attached to him. Big deal? I obviously was right on some things. You said so yourself. So I am not blind. I was wrong on one thing. You haven't been here long, deary. That is the first prediction I have gotten wrong since Gaara's extraction. Wasn't expecting that one. I was actually expecting him to live. Not to die. I also did not expect him to return to life. Until Chiyo mentioned the skill.

I don't get your point. So you can call me names. Say I'm a mindless, drooling fangirl, and that feelings are not feelings. Their mindless. And that love is a lie, always, unless it's a guy I can take into my arms. I don't think love is about that. Though I can say I've loved real guys more. I don't see why this is even a debate. It's ridiculous that you have to nit-pick at my emotions for your own entertainment. I don't see how having an emotion deems me as stupid.

In my college philosophy class, we were taught that logic and emotion create reason. Reason is what we base everything we believe on. Emotion isn't so useless after all.

We also explained how emotion can falter logic. But not in call cases. So your assumption is rather ridiculous; to assume you know me, understand me. To box me into a group of people; it's like stereotyping, calling me a dirty ****** or something. You don't know that hunk of sexy chocolate man is dirty, or a slave. So you can't say that about him. And you can't say that I'm a mindless, drooling fangirl. I concealed my emotions for him for the first year. Ashamed. Fangirls don't feel shame. Fangirls don't go, "Wow, it's stupid that I could feel emotions for a fictional being." They don't do that. And I still do it every day.

Happy?  
Naruto Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... 114 115 116 117 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games