Welcome to Gaia! ::

Absolute Furry the Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's Oldest Furry Guild 

Tags: Furry, Furries, Anthro, Anthropomorphic, Roleplay 

Reply Adult Furries Guild
AFG Sallies Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 964 965 966 967 968 969 ... 1043 1044 1045 1046 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Atlaas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:52 am
Or they don't agree with her beliefs. I know I don't.

Anyway.
I really am starting to hate mono.
I really want to get back to work, and I'm trying so hard, but I feel sick everyday.
I hate doing this to my boss. I'm the only person she can depend on, and now I can never work.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:18 am
Atlaas

That's no excuse for them to be dicks to her.  

Sunegami

Playful Nerd

22,040 Points
  • Pizza Party Attendee 500
  • 1000 High Score 100
  • OTP 200

Zella L.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:40 am
Sunegami

Seems like you can't. But honestly, if people are going to be that annoyed by your efforts (I suspect it's because they feel bad that they don't make the same efforts, so they try to tear you down), why would you want to be friends with them, anyway?

Heh, well I can't leave a group because of one problem. And I don't know if there's anyone else in the entirety of this wealthy suburb who know the words "budget" and "restraint." I guess my best bet is to lie and say I don't have any money.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:51 pm
Sunegami
Atlaas

That's no excuse for them to be dicks to her.
I think it honestly depends on the situation.
I don't know her personally, or what her relationship with her friends is, but I know a lot of people with those kinds of lifestyles who kind of shove it in peoples faces, and kind of deserve what they get.

Atlaas

Af Mas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:09 pm
Someone is always going to be pissed because they don't agree with you. Basically, it just seems you're making things difficult for them when they shouldn't HAVE to be.

My roommate is a vegetarian too, and it's really hard to go on outings with her because the places I like to eat tend not to have good vegetarian options, and it tries my patience when I have to settle for a place I'm not all that happy with just so she can eat, or having to eat elsewhere because she just doesn't like the kind of food they serve (so Mexican and Chinese are out). The flipside is a very hungry and upset roommate. I can deal with other options, at the very least.

I dunno. To me it just seems like there are times where it's okay to put your morals aside if there's just no avoiding it. It sucks, but if there's just no other option what can you do?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:14 pm
I feel like everyone assumes vegetarians are inherently pushy, and everyone who tries to do something sustainable, are just trying to make others feel bad. Like Sunegami said, maybe people feel bad at not making the same effort, like when someone says "I bet that a*****e in the hybrid thinks he's better than us!"

I try not even to mention my vegetarianism, but then there is often someone who asks why when they figure it out. I usually say something like "Well, there's the cruelty to animals thing, and the environmental impact, and health reasons, even though they're arguable," and I try to steer the conversation away. Even this upsets people sometimes, who say "Well, geez, just let me eat what I want!" as if explaining my reasons is magically forcing others to stop eating cow. You know, I also don't eat mint, because it feels like your mouth is burning. Does that mean I'm forcing that opinion on anyone?
I personally have never refused a restaurant because of lack of vegetarian options; almost all of them have a few options. The only problem is me even asking if there's chicken stock in the soup, or if I can switch the pork out for tofu in a dish. Other than that, I'll settle for anything that's not spicy.
Affy, do you use yelp.com? It's always a good tool to scope out local restaurants with good reviews and within a budget, and you can even search for vegetarian-specific places. I always prefer to agree beforehand where to eat.  

Zella L.

Atlaas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:33 pm
I did say I wasn't sure about you. Not all vegetarians may be pushing, but I actually have never met any that aren't at least a little.
I work with one women who honestly makes my job hell because she does nothing but push her views on people, and does only what suits her beliefs.

It's fine and dandy if that's what she's into, but if I have to run around cleaning up after her, because she refused to put meat in sandwiches, or refused to take certain things out for baking because they had meat in them, or refused to turn on the wrapping machine because it "emits toxic chemicals", so it took her three hours to wrap s**t, I get really pissed off.

I'm not the type of person that likes to tiptoe around my life. I only get one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:22 pm
Atlaas
It's fine and dandy if that's what she's into, but if I have to run around cleaning up after her, because she refused to put meat in sandwiches, or refused to take certain things out for baking because they had meat in them, or refused to turn on the wrapping machine because it "emits toxic chemicals", so it took her three hours to wrap s**t, I get really pissed off.

Few things I couldn't help but mention...
1. If she's not doing her job then talk to the boss to get her fired. If she's clearly costing the company money or causing a safety hazard, then she's gotta go. If she's leaving meat out or ruining meat or something, then she's both wasting (and thus causing the need to buy more and thus kill more animals) and creating a safety hazard. Uncooked meat left lying around can easily spread germs and many of those can be deadly. Even cooked meat can do this, though I think the idea that she's actually killing more animals by wasting products would get her to stop.

2. That toxic emissions thing could be a hazard to everyone and while it would slow down work you should also be concerned about it. Not tiptoing around it could lead to very harmful effects on the body, the least pleasant of which may be cancer. OF course, if you wear masks and have good ventilation, then the effects can be minimized or prevented. Some materials that are toxic can combine with others outside and become inert. Some may even become inert over a short period of time (hours, days, weeks, etc...). So it's a double edged sword. you probably know more about what it is than I do though.

Zella L.
I feel like everyone assumes vegetarians are inherently pushy, and everyone who tries to do something sustainable, are just trying to make others feel bad. Like Sunegami said, maybe people feel bad at not making the same effort, like when someone says "I bet that a*****e in the hybrid thinks he's better than us!"

http://xkcd.com/677/
Heyyy.... ninja

Also, Zella, You just keep doing what you feel is right for you. If anyone else doesn't like it or complains, just tell them that you're not telling them what they can or can't eat. (Upfront to them that is.) If they don't like your personal decisions, then that's too bad because I'm sure there's plenty of things you do that they'd not like to do and they don't complain about those things. I mean, you may like doing one thing and they don't, it's not a crime. They should get over the fact that you're not a clone of them.

Also, that trip to the cheesecake factory in San Fran? I never went, but I could tell you it's probably a waste of money. Honestly, it's not that good. I've had some from Sacramento (I think it was in Sac anyway...) and the place was crowded and the food wasn't that spectacular. Maybe it's different there, but I've had better deserts from grocery stores. (Granted, it was from Nugget which isn't exactly cheap...but still, closer and cheaper than that!) [Also, I assume you know about Nugget markets? sweatdrop ]

Anyway, just saying I support you and I'd certainly not mind any vegetarian places. ...as long as the dishes aren't wiggly tofu turkey or weird veggie burgers. These cooks need to stop trying to imitate meat and instead celebrate these things as they are. gonk Tofu is good, but not when it wiggles in a giant...blob that eats Tokyo! ...I think I went off topic here, but the important thing is that I support ya' and you're not alone! (Even though I eat meat...so maybe not support in the best way. sad I try not to eat much though! ...I'll go back into my corner now that I haven't helped anyone or done anything useful.)  

Garek Maxwell

Zella L.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:04 pm
Atlaas--
Yeah, I think that girl is being irresponsible, and needs to find a different job. I still make meat sandwiches for my friends even if they get their own meat, and that's not even my job. I'd elbow your coworker a little and say "Hay man, do your job or quit."

Gerek--
LOL, I read that episode xD Atheists get the same rap: http://sth.devonhumanists.org.uk/images/militant.jpg

Ugh, I know, and there's a Cheesecake in Walnut Creek, 10 minutes away from here too. One of these people wants to be a travel journalist, yet she refuses to explore different local restaurants? :/ Ah, and no, haven't heard of the Nugget Market I don't think. xP That's an SF Bay Area thing?

And yes Gerek, thanks for being an ally! biggrin For me, anyway, vegetarianism isn't about not having meat in my diet at all, it's more important that less be consumed, so someone just trying a meatless option once in a while is great too! =)  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:15 pm
Garek Maxwell
Atlaas

Few things I couldn't help but mention...
1. If she's not doing her job then talk to the boss to get her fired. If she's clearly costing the company money or causing a safety hazard, then she's gotta go. If she's leaving meat out or ruining meat or something, then she's both wasting (and thus causing the need to buy more and thus kill more animals) and creating a safety hazard. Uncooked meat left lying around can easily spread germs and many of those can be deadly. Even cooked meat can do this, though I think the idea that she's actually killing more animals by wasting products would get her to stop.

2. That toxic emissions thing could be a hazard to everyone and while it would slow down work you should also be concerned about it. Not tiptoing around it could lead to very harmful effects on the body, the least pleasant of which may be cancer. OF course, if you wear masks and have good ventilation, then the effects can be minimized or prevented. Some materials that are toxic can combine with others outside and become inert. Some may even become inert over a short period of time (hours, days, weeks, etc...). So it's a double edged sword. you probably know more about what it is than I do though.

1: The boss knows she's useless as ******** all complained about her multiple times. She does much more than just what I listed.
She's not leaving out meat or anything, it stays in the coolers, it's just like, screwing our customers a little.
We have a few work crews around here and stuff that come in for lunch, and they get really pissed off when we only have like, vegetarian sandwiches.

2: It's not emitting anything, she's just being a whiny b***h. It's a standard, everyday, regular old wrapping machine. It might emit a little bit, but it's just melting a little plastic, it's not like it's burning the living s**t out of it.
The point is nobody is going to die, or get anything from it.

We can't really fire anybody, because there's nobody around to hire. It's a small town, they've kind of taken what they can get. Most of the people that work there can't work more than a couple days a week, because they can't make more than some amount of money a month because they're all cheating disability.
And with this chick, since we can't fire her, we've gotten the good old, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" from the boss. :I

Atlaas

Af Mas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:32 pm
Zella L.

I try not even to mention my vegetarianism, but then there is often someone who asks why when they figure it out. I usually say something like "Well, there's the cruelty to animals thing, and the environmental impact, and health reasons, even though they're arguable," and I try to steer the conversation away. Even this upsets people sometimes, who say "Well, geez, just let me eat what I want!" as if explaining my reasons is magically forcing others to stop eating cow. You know, I also don't eat mint, because it feels like your mouth is burning. Does that mean I'm forcing that opinion on anyone?
I personally have never refused a restaurant because of lack of vegetarian options; almost all of them have a few options. The only problem is me even asking if there's chicken stock in the soup, or if I can switch the pork out for tofu in a dish. Other than that, I'll settle for anything that's not spicy.
Affy, do you use yelp.com? It's always a good tool to scope out local restaurants with good reviews and within a budget, and you can even search for vegetarian-specific places. I always prefer to agree beforehand where to eat.

My roommate isn't pushy about it at all, but it does make things rather difficult and my friends find it frustrating if she wants to come along. She usually stays behind though. She's also very picky. She doesn't like salads, I don't blame her, and is fond of particular foods. So that's what makes things particularly annoying. But generally she doesn't come along because she doesn't wanna spend the money or eat bad. Eating out is just a very social and fun thing for me, so that's why it bugs me.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:21 pm
Zella L.
Ugh, I know, and there's a Cheesecake in Walnut Creek, 10 minutes away from here too. One of these people wants to be a travel journalist, yet she refuses to explore different local restaurants? :/ Ah, and no, haven't heard of the Nugget Market I don't think. xP That's an SF Bay Area thing?

(Not quoted in this response, but) Aww, thanks! And glad to of some sort of support in a way. :3

Also, You should tell your friend(s) that if you go to the local one then everyone could save more money and thus go more often! wink

And Nugget Market is a pretty new grocery store chain. I thought it was more spread out than the website says, but they're...different from the normal grocery store. It's hard to explain, but the one I go to is rather nice.
http://www.nuggetmarket.com/
They tend to be a bit on the pricey side though, so it's not a place I go to often. They do have a lot of unique things there and plenty of health food items too.

Atlaas
And with this chick, since we can't fire her, we've gotten the good old, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" from the boss. :I

Sounds like a reallly bad situation...
Well, I sure do hope the situation changes somehow for the better. Maybe some teen can take her place?! biggrin
I don't know what I could say to help, I just hope things get better. sad  

Garek Maxwell

Rainey_angel81

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:39 pm
Zella L.
Atlaas--
Yeah, I think that girl is being irresponsible, and needs to find a different job. I still make meat sandwiches for my friends even if they get their own meat, and that's not even my job. I'd elbow your coworker a little and say "Hay man, do your job or quit."

Gerek--
LOL, I read that episode xD Atheists get the same rap: http://sth.devonhumanists.org.uk/images/militant.jpg

And yes Gerek, thanks for being an ally! biggrin For me, anyway, vegetarianism isn't about not having meat in my diet at all, it's more important that less be consumed, so someone just trying a meatless option once in a while is great too! =)

Should try the vegan raw place in Berkeley. It's really good. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:42 pm
We sell liquor, we can't hire teens. xD
Well 19, but that's only one year left.
And.. 3 of us are 19, so we've got too many kids mucking up the store.
Nevermind, two. I forgot one just turned 20.

I wouldn't mind some dashingly handsome man in his mid-20s though.
Wouldn't mind that at all. ninja

Atlaas

Zella L.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:04 pm
Rainey--I bet there's a lot of vegan raw places in Berkley, hehe, but are you talking about Cafe Gratitude perchance?
PS. fuuuuurrcon!! I'ma send you facebook message once I figure out my plans for transportation and lodging =D  
Adult Furries Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 964 965 966 967 968 969 ... 1043 1044 1045 1046 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games