Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Cable help?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fenhir Noble

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:16 pm
I'm learning to make cables, but I'm having a hard time making them look nice.
I see pics and videos and they look like rope (all nice and rounded), mine are flat and bumpy. I also saw a video on knittinghelp.com and she can effortlessly cross the strands and can knit off the cable needles with ease. When I do that, it's all tight and very hard to knit off the cable needle (when I knit the "first" stitches). When I do cross the strands, am I supposed to pull the yarn tight right befrore I knit the last (soon to be the first) stitches?

For the bumpyness, I think I have trouble with the transition to purl after I knit the cable. The right side of the cable looks alright, but the left side looks flat because the stitch is loose I think.

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:29 pm
Everything looks right here. I think what you're seeing is just an artifact of having such a thin swatch. Try putting some extra stitches on the outside (and maybe flank the cable with 3 purls instead of 2). Also a quick soak and dry will help to even up lose stitches - though I really am not seeing those.

Knitting from the cable needle generally does feel tight if it's a new technique or if you're cabling over lots of stitches. I've noticed that I can do up to 3 stitches held to the front or back without feeling strained - but any more than that and it gets tough! That 5-stitch cable is a rough one! The more stitches your cable has the deeper it will be - that's why it's "bumpy." If there are lots of stitches to my cable I will use a cable needle that is slightly smaller (in diameter) than the working needle to give a little extra room to stretch.

A great starter project for cable work is the Besotted Scarf from Hello Yarn - it teaches you cabling front and back and really mixes things up for a neat effect.

Finally, are you using an acrylic yarn? They don't have the same flexibility as animal fibers. I generally prefer the wooly stuff for textured work.

Honestly, this cable looks great, but if you're not happy with it keep working on it. Good luck!  

Tinuvial

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:34 pm
Seconded... I think your cables look really good, especially if they're a first try. If you feel it's difficult in getting them to cable because of the tightness, try being very conscious of your tension when you knit your cable area and try to keep it loose (similar to when your patter says "Cast on XX stitches loosely") and your fingers can learn to knit a few stitches with a bit more give to help you twist the next row.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:40 am
Momo wants it to be Halloween already,
Truthfully I think your cables are gorgeous. When I do cables I have the same tightness issue but I believe it has something to do with the actual swapping of the stitches, not your tension, just keep at it!
And you should too...

Chaotic_Mind

4,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items