Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Fiber from Corn?!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold Tiem Nao?
  PLZ!
View Results

SaelensFrozenFlame

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:29 am
I kid you not...went to the Iowa State Fair yesterday, and stopped by the threads and fabrics area...a LOT of interesting projects, but the thing that caught my eye was a type of fiber known as Ingeo...which comes from corn.

http://www.fieldsoffiber.com has all the info about this fiber, along with a shop that you can buy products from. (the yarn, sadly, is pretty fricken expensive...$10.50 for one skein unless one gets the larger skein, which is $14)  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:45 pm
Neat, but expensive.

I think I'll just use the cheap yarn for now until I become a milionare off crafting.  

~Viva~Per~Amore~

Tinuvial

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:29 pm
I heard a rumor that Southwest Trading Company was going to start carrying a line of inego yarn.

There are so many exciting fibers to choose from these days

Soysilk, Bamboo, Inego, Ceramic. . . even Kevlar. Before you know it we'll be knitting with glass that feels like cashmere!  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:18 pm
It's surprisingly soft  

Catcheen
Crew

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:36 pm
Man, you can get fiber from just about anything these days. It's pretty crazy. surprised  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:36 pm
I've heard that cotton is hard on the environment. I don't remember if the actual farming practices are bad for the land, but I do remember that the bleaching process is nasty. If science can replace cotton with something less harmful and similar in price, I'm all for it.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:09 am
Cotton requires a lot of pesticides, and is sucks nutrients right out of the land--you need a lot of acrage to grow it, because the field needs to rest for at least 2 years I think. I don't remember if that is the right time, but I know it's a lot longer than with other crops or livestock which only need 1-2 seasons to recover.

Hey, I did learn something in our middle school Civil War Unit. And I actually used it. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:03 pm
Thanks for the clarification, I knew I'd heard cotton was hard on the environment.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:29 pm
Is the corn fiber soft?

And I'm all for cotton still, as I'm allergic to wool and cotton is a good subsitute.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:43 pm
Same here. I know it's bad for the environment, but I'm also allergic to wool (thought blends and really fine merino don't bother me as much), but cotton and acrylic are super soft and more affordable than fibers like baby alpaca and other fancier "green" yarns, as well as more readily available.  

knitting_needle_ninja

augusteir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:00 pm
alot of yarn companys are making corn yarn, its amazing it feels like silk but is just well corn  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games