Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Incorrect Usage of FANBOYS

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lily-Anne-Marie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:03 pm
This particular grammar error gets on my nerves. Especially because one of my closest friends uses the word "for" in place of "because" all the time in her papers. It might be grammatically correct, but to the ears, however, it sounds incredibly wrong.

So please, tell me if this sentence is wrong. I have it underlined.

It all started in the school year of 2005 when Roderick enrolled at a charter school in Payson,where he went there for a few weeks, however; there he went under the name of Casey Roderick. As quoted by Dective George Ratliff in Amanda Myers, author of Sex offender, 29, enrolled in seventh grade says, "that he withdrew after attending nine of the 21 days he was enrollled there when the school persisted in trying to obtain the paperwork."Then on January 9 he enrolled in YCFA Achieve Academy, however; it is not sure if he went to school there for the school; for the school would not comment on it.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:08 pm
When you use conjunctive adverbs, the semi-colon appears before the comma.
Ex.
; however,
-JanGab  

jangab

Lily-Anne-Marie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:40 pm
That is not what I am asking...I am asking if that is the correct conjunctive adverb being used there.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:25 am
I don't have a formal rule to cite, but what strikes me as wrong about the underlined part is that it's separated from the rest of the sentence by a semicolon. It seems to me that a comma would work better in that context, but other than that, the word "for" should be perfectly fine.  

Vakruz

Familiar Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Sausage Fest 200

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:52 am
The words Vakruz speaks are true.

I'm not sure it matters what conjunctive adverb you use there, for or because.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:04 pm
Vakruz
I don't have a formal rule to cite, but what strikes me as wrong about the underlined part is that it's separated from the rest of the sentence by a semicolon. It seems to me that a comma would work better in that context, but other than that, the word "for" should be perfectly fine.

I agree that a comma would be much better suited in continuing the flow of the sentence. "For", I believe, is used properly in this sentence.  

Amaya84

Kali Eyad

Ruthless Ladykiller

9,650 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:22 pm
I agree with the others who have commented on this, "for" is perfectly fine in this instance. Although with all the other errors and how hard that excerpt is to follow, I can't believe the use of "for" in place of "because" is what has you worried.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:34 am
I am not so much a grammar natzi as some of the people here. Not that it is a bad thing, I am just saying I do not get onto people as much about it unless I am having a really bad day. But thanks for answering my question.  

Lily-Anne-Marie

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff