Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Words that mean more than their definition...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tezur

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:24 pm
How hard could it be to truly define certain words? I'm guessing by tons. A literal meaning of some adjectives does not really trump a common meaning most of the time. Maybe I'm not explaining clearly. Here's an example:

How do you like your eggs?

It could be eggs like you cook with, or something sexual. This is just a basic reference, and it's really hard to point out. What I'm asking is, have you ever heard a sentence that has multiple meanings?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:41 pm
Sure. It's called a double entendre, and they're everywhere. Shakespeare's full of them, just look at Much Ado About Nothing.  

Amphion

Yutaka Miko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:32 am
Indeed I have! I've read an article that is sticked on our school's notice board. It pointed out that English is the craziest language ever!

I'm not sure if you guys have ever heard of this but, it is an example to the question you asked (I don't remember the EXACT wordings, so I'll just put it in my own wordings):

Lady: "Will ever you give me a ring?"
Man: "Of course, darling!"
-Later that night... The man called to the lady's house-
Man: "Well, you asked me if I'd ever give you a ring, so I thought I would ring you up!"

Story: It is obvious that the man misunderstood the term "ring" that the lady used. The lady meant to ask if the man will ever give her a ring as in a ring that you wear on the finger. The man thought she meant if he would ever ring her up as in calling her on the phone.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:47 pm
Rawr.
It's hard to live with the English language and never run into sentences or words that imply other things. One word I've often found is 'gay', it used to mean 'happy' but nowadays it means 'homosexual' so everyone laughs when they hear it...like in the song 'I'm So Pretty'. 'I'm so pretty, and witty, and gay!' sweatdrop

sirioneowyn

xboxzombie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:37 am
sirioneowyn
Rawr.
It's hard to live with the English language and never run into sentences or words that imply other things. One word I've often found is 'gay', it used to mean 'happy' but nowadays it means 'homosexual' so everyone laughs when they hear it...like in the song 'I'm So Pretty'. 'I'm so pretty, and witty, and gay!' sweatdrop

Muck like the term 'f**' is the french word for cigerette.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:05 pm
xboxzombie
Muck like the term 'f**' is the french word for cigerette.

As is it the abbreviation in German for bassoon. In German, f*****t means "bundle of sticks", and evidently that's what they thought the bassoon looks like...  

Amphion

Kali Eyad

Ruthless Ladykiller

9,650 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:51 pm
Earlier today my friend and I were talking about the tunnels that little kids play in, like the McDonald's Play Place and local places like Tumbledrum and the City Museum. When we got to ball pits, we both said we definitely wouldn't go in them, and didn't even as kids. At which point my friend said:

"Balls are more of a boy thing, anyway."

Maybe a little more crude and blatant, but it was something she said without the second meaning even occuring to her until I chuckled.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games