Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Confused about knitting bag instructions. Help is welcome

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

~Viva~Per~Amore~

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:19 pm
Okay, I'm a beginning knitter. I know how to cast on, garter stitch, and cast off.

I bought this instruction booklet to make a 'pocket purse' for sake of time, I will call it a bag. The instruction booklet has all sorts of different stitches explained in it, but the pictures make no sense.

Here are the instructions I am going to type it exactly as I can, sorry if ther are any spelling errors.

Introduction:
It is important to check your guage (see "Gauge below") before beginning to allow adequate yarn to complete this project, adjust your tension accordingly. To allow enough yarn for the handle cut two strands 66 inches long. Set these aside for later.

Gauge:
Cast on 24 stitches and work in stockinette stitch (knit one row, purl one row), should equal 4 inches across.

Pattern Stitch:
1)*Knit 3 stitches purl 1 stitch*, repeat from * to * across row.
2) Purl across the row.
3)*Purl one stitch, knit three stitches*, repeat from * to * across row.
4) Purl across row.

Knitting the Purse:
1. Cast on 1 stitch.
2. Knit into front, back and front of stitch. you will now have three stitches.
3. Purl across row.
4. Next row slip 1 stitch, make an incisible increase in next stitch and knit stitch, make an invisible increase in last stitch and knit last stitch. There are now five stitches.
5. Next row slip 2 stitches, holding yarn to front and purl across row.
6. Slip first 2 stitches, holding yarn to back, invisile increase in next stitch, knit across row to last 2 stitches, invisible increase in next stitch, knit 2 stitches.
7. Slip first 2 stitches, holding yarn to back , invisible increase in next stitch, knit across row to last 2 stitches invisible increase in next stitch, knit two stitches.

I'll stop there because that is where most of the confusion lies and because I don't want to type a whole more than I have to.

My Questions
How to slip stitch?
How do you invisible increase?
How do you knit in front, back and front of stitch?
Purling is also confusing if anyone cares to explain that.
What is the difference between holding the yarn to the front and just regular knitting?
Is there anyway I can just use what I know and knit a little bag? they only give you so much yarn, so I was wondering if there was some way to use the same amount and a different stitch and still have a bag teh same size?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:22 pm
I would say that the most important thing that you need to do now is learn how to purl.

And a slip stitch is when you slip the stitch from one needle to the other (usually purlwise) without knitting it. An invisible increase, I can only guess is one that does not involve yarning over.  

Mildred Pierce

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:30 pm
Try the videos on this site:

www.knittinghelp.com

You need to learn how to purl, and it's not that difficult.

I'd suggest grabbing some left over yarn, or just buying some cheap yarn and practice knitting a bit first. You could even practice the pattern stitch that will be used for the purse. It looks like a nice enough thing to do to practice purling and knitting.

The pattern stitch will be used later in the pattern I guess, after casting on and increasing...

Take our time to learn how to purl and then practice the pattern stitch. It doesn't look that complicated actually, but practicing will make you familiar with it. Do you have anyone who can help you with the purse? The beginning looks a bit fiddly for a beginner.

I've never knitted in front, back and then front again but I have increased by knitting first regularly, but without slipping the stitch off the needle, and then knitting in the back loop of that same stitch and slipping it off = 2 stitches where you used to have one. I'm sure there's a video at the site I suggested if you're confused. I would think knitting front-back-front is the same, but you don't slip the stitch of after knitting in the back loop, you keep it on the needle and knit in the front loop again. Sounds a bit awkward, but it should work.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games