Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
need help selecting a sewing machine

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kanhoro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:31 pm

which do most pple prefer when it comes to heavy duty sewing?
here is a list of things i will do with it, to narrow the search down.

-a little bit of custom embrodery( ill do it manually stitch by stitch if possible doesnt matter), i can do with a thing that can do those squiggly running stitch for quilting that way i can just move the needles for satin stuff
-will need stretch stitch and zigzag BC:
--i will need to sew fur fabric ( not real fur) maybe leather but rarly
and lycra, going to make furry things and fursuits... and such for profiit
and fun. rofl
-stitch types ill need:
--zigzag
--stretch
--normal
--some kind of reinforcement but not necceary
-something nice that can sew through layers like a 2 or so of denium, lycra, and fur or such.

i am leaning towards the new singer futura thing that can connect to the computer...but thats too expensive... but here is the other one i am really leaning towards for. what do you think? Simplicity Sewing Machine Liberty SA1600
what do you guys think? sorry if a waste.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:36 am
It's so hard to help someone choose a sewing machine if you aren't right there with them. My best advice is to go to a sewing and vacuum shop, tell them what you want to do with a sewing machine and then tell them what you have to spend. A good shop will steer you toward a machine that fits your needs and budget.
I will tell you that if you're planning to do any hemming on denim you'll need a machine that can handle more than 2 layers of the stuff. Leather and real fur take a special needle and a more powerful machine than if you were just going to use broadcloth. I'm not sure the machine you showed us will have enough power for what you want to do. The small, portable machines tend not to have a lot of power.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Dolly_Dear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:54 am
I suggest going to Target, they have a huge selection to choose from, especially if your gonna do embroidery, the sewing machines that do that are really expensive.

if your lucky you can find one for $200 or under, i really want one cuz you can hook them up to your computer and upload your own designs.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games