Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Yay for Crochet!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which do you like better?
  Knit
  Crochet
  I like them both!
View Results

AuroraGoryAlice

4,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:13 pm
I've been knitting for a little over a year now, and for some reason crochet always eluded me. I've attempted to learn, but just dropped it for my knitting. This weekend I finally sat down and made myself learn it. It's so much quicker! Sure it takes more yarn, but SO QUICK! Plus I really like that only 1 stitch is "active" at a time. I feel there is less pressure on me so I relax more. I finished a dishcloth in a couple days then I started a dress for my baby girl, and I did the whole back bodice panel in like 2-3 days without devoting a TON of time to it (my breaks at work plus a couple hours at home). Whooo!

And I always preferred the look of knitting to crochet, but now that I'm doing it myself, I think it looks downright cute. Which is exactly what you want for doing baby stuff.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:11 pm
I crochet much faster than I can knit, but then I'm just a beginning knitter. I love the fact that only one stitch is active at a time so there's not much chance of dropping a stitch.
I like the look of knitting for some things, but others look better crocheted, it's all in your perceptions.
Welcome to the joys of crochet, just don't forget the knitting.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

hyper_azn_girl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:41 am
i learned how to crochet when i was really young and i learned how to do the basics, and never really advanced from that, but i really liked it
then i learned how to knit in january and i discovered craftster while trying to look up knitting projects
as of now, i like crocheting better than knitting, but I keep changing my mind.
I'm pretty fast in both ( i learned how to knit continental and I've been doing the basic stitches in crocheting for forever!)  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:06 am
I CROCHET AND I'M STUMPED AT HOW TO PUT TOGETHER GRANNY SQUARES WITHOUT HAVING A RIAISED RIDGE BETWEEN THE SQUARES .IF THEIR IS ANYONE OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP ME ....PLEASE  

a work of art

RocknRollDragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:37 am
I've been crocheting for almost a year now...and I don't really care to learn how to knit. I'd rather learn how to do the really crazy stuff with crochet (like making those impossible to figure out sweaters) than be some-what good at crochet and knit. It's also easier for me to just stick to one anyway. But I have no doubt that they're both just as fun and relaxing to do 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:22 pm
I started crocheting when I was 5, I started knitting when I was 23.

Now I love crochet because it was the first needlecraft I ever leaned (That and I'm really good at it - much better than knitting) but it does have some limitations. I don;t like making many wearables out of crochet unless it's very thin yarn and a lace pattern. I love however making afghans out of crochet because I can go a mile a minute.

I do alot of knitting now. I think because it still hold the "new" appeal to me, and there are still so many thingsto learn. It's been ages since I found something in a crochet pattern that has made me go "huh... I have never done that befoe."  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

taligator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:54 pm
I prefer to crochet over knit as well. I'm just slow with knitting, despite practice.

It's also cumbersome handling those needles sometimes! *G*

My favorite type of crochet is the Tunisian crochet, you get the look of knit with the simplicity of crochet. Sadly it takes MORE yarn than even regular crochet but it's a very durable piece of work.

Taligator
... for Gaia Online  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:37 am
Hmmm- while I like both knitting and crochet, I think I prefer knitting, if for a kind of dumb reason.
I've never worked out how to hold yarn for crochet in a way that will both keep the tension evern, and not have my left index finger cocked for hours on end.  

Blue-eyes-green

Alizera

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:42 pm
I've been crocheting forever and really enjoyed doing it. Recently I'm slowly trying to teach myself how to knit. I like the look of knitted wearables over than crocheted wearables. I've learned how to do the basic knit and purl stitches...but I just don't have time to sit myself down and learn more.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:17 pm
hyper_azn_girl
i learned how to crochet when i was really young and i learned how to do the basics, and never really advanced from that, but i really liked it
then i learned how to knit in january and i discovered craftster while trying to look up knitting projects
I'm pretty fast in both ( i learned how to knit continental and I've been doing the basic stitches in crocheting for forever!)

When I started knitting, I was learning in continental because that's what the mean lady at the craft store swore was the only way I SHOULD learn it (she was a little old fashioned), but then I found that english was wayyy easier for me, so I switched. I wish I would have stuck it out with continental. It does look much faster.

And yay for craftster! xd  

AuroraGoryAlice

4,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:36 am
It sounds like many of us were exposed to at least one yarn craft at a young age.

I learned to crochet at about 8. Didn't do a whole lot with it for a long time, fell back in love with it a year ago and now am learning to knit.

I love crocheting- its so much faster than knitting. But there some things one can do in knitting that I love the look of that can't be replicated in crochet. Hence, the learning to knit.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:02 am
AuroraGoryAlice
hyper_azn_girl

When I started knitting, I was learning in continental because that's what the mean lady at the craft store swore was the only way I SHOULD learn it (she was a little old fashioned), but then I found that english was wayyy easier for me, so I switched. I wish I would have stuck it out with continental. It does look much faster.

And yay for craftster! xd
haha!
that's exactly why i learned! i took classes at the craft store and she said that i should learn to knit continental. I'm glad i did in the end.
knitting was pretty easy for me to learn. I had been casting on FOREVER and i kept trying and trying and trying to teach myself to knit. I finally took the knitting class. Turns out i was sticking my needle in wrong xD  

hyper_azn_girl

selenitrope

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:33 am
I started out with cross-stitching, actually. Taught to me by my babysitter. Then later, my mom tried to teach my sister crocheting but none of it stuck really, and she showed me how to make slip-knots. So for the longest time, I'd just walk around holding a ball of yarn making slip-knot chains and then ripping them out.

Keep in mind, please, that I was about seven at the time. sweatdrop

Anyways, I later taught myself crochet out of the book because I couldn't find anyone to teach me.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:42 pm
I like crochet and knitting both but I prefer knitting for the look of the stitches.

I only crochet when I want to make something new, quick - like a new hat for the oncoming Autumn! (wish I had a pic to show). Crochet is good as a canvas for embroidery as well!

But I drool over the insane knitted cable works of Norah Gaughan and knitting once again takes over me. mmmm...must knit!

ps. and knitted socks are much better than crocheted ones......... pirate  

Rune and Raccoon

Questionable Cutesmasher

12,750 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers