Astronomy

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Popetator
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:45 pm
Discuss pluto, life on other planets, and other universal things. Including black holes! They are amazing. What do you think happens to matter that goes in a black hole? Is there life out there? Do you agree that pluto shouldn't be a planet?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:02 pm
As long as it's in the earth's orbit and is that size, Pluto should be a planet. Black holes are quite interesting in the fact that when something goes into a black hole, it's turned into energy... and i believe there's life out there somewhere.  

katt725
Crew

Teleninn
Crew

Dapper Deckhand

6,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:07 pm
Pluto shouldn't be a planet, and isn't now for a good reason. It's part of an asteroid belt, and there are actually chunks of rock out there that are bigger than it is. It has no proper orbit and very few characteristics that place it in the same category as the other planets. I believe it is actually the cause of a new subcategory of planets now that so far includes two or three other asteriod objects of similar size.

Black holes are very cool, but super scary in a way. They tear things apart to an extreme, nothing can exist in them, even light is taken apart.

As to life on other planets; I think there is a definite possiblity that there was once life on Mars, and there is no way that there is no life except humans in a place as big as the universe. Considering the fact that most of us can barely imagine the immense size of the solar system, let alone the universe, makes it nearly impossible to think we are the only "living" planet in it.

There are so many stars out there in the sky we see at night. There are known to be planets circling at least half of them, probably more. For me, I think it would feel very lonely here, if I were to think that Earth is a unique circumstance; that nowhere in the universe other than here, life managed to evolve.

Something else that is super cool about the universe is the nebulas and other star patterns that can be observed. They are so beautiful. And fantastic. I can't wait to be able to study them in more detail.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:52 am
For Pluto: I'm mnot going to take a side in thius arguement, as I have no unbiased opinion. However, I do want to make a clarification. Pluto and its moon, Charon, are not in an asteroid belt. The Kuniper Belt, which it is located in, contains asteriods, comets, planetoids, and other heavenly bodies.

For black holes: I once read about how scientists think that as all matter enters a black hole, it is streched super long and super thin in a spaghetti effect.

One more question to ponder: Do feel the universe will one day end in the Big Freeze (where all galaxies expand forever until they become too cold to exist), the Big Crunch (where the galaxies expand until so far, then are brought back together and collide), or something else entirely?  

Jennivieve

Peaceful Nerd

hipstertedbundy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:16 am
The Universe has to move on. Pain and loss. They define us as much as happiness or love.

Pluto: Pluto was discovered in the town I live in! I'm so special! Should be a planet. Size doesn't matter. Still orbits the sun, right?
Blackholes: Scientists say blackholes are the key to time travel!
Life on other planets: Definetly yes! Why can't you stupid humans look?! scream

Whether it's a world or a relationship, everything has it's time and everything has to end. -The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:31 am
My sis LOVES astromey! She is MAD about the star signs. I'm Genimi and she's Tarus. She's called Crayons with Coconuts. She has a Gaia account too.  

Pink Marshmallow 132

Magnetic Sex Symbol

10,200 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Megathread 100
#29- The Science Subforum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items