Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Boning

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

sakurachan61123

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:43 am
funny topic name huh? lol.

anyways. I need to put boning in one of my costumes to make the top sit right and I have NOOOO idea how to put the stuff in there. Can anyone help me out here? Please explain with lots of detail. My mind thinks on visuals . . .

~Hunter~  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:24 am
I've done a couple things with boning.... it requires that you put some kind of a sleeve in so you can slip the boning in between a couple layers of fabric.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Maimy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:56 am
Only used boning once or twice myself... and the last time was 3 years ago :S A couple of links that might help:

http://www.isew.co.uk/designer_techniques/boning-c-00203.htm
http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00165.asp  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:08 pm
does the casing thing I slip it into come with it? Or do I have to make it?  

sakurachan61123

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:10 pm
Sometimes it's a pocket you can attach to the garment. Sometimes you just sew two close lines to make a pocket between the fabric and the lining.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:57 pm
thanks guys~ I'll post the costume with the boning when I get the chance.  

sakurachan61123

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:55 pm
A great tip when using the plastic boning is to the buy the stuff that comes with the fabric cover on it. cut the lengths you need it to be, then remove the fabric coating from the plastic. This leaves you with ugly white-ish plastic and (normally), thin strips on black cloth the right size. Sew the fabric strips to the inside or lining of the piece where needed.

Make sure to not sew to far in, or the strip wont be wide enough to accomidate the plastic again.

Sew both sides and the bottom, but be sure to leave the top undone for now. When the strips are in place, slide the boning into the new chanels you've made for it. Now, put a quick whipstitch acorss the top to hold it in the chanel and ta-da! A boned piece.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games