Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cihiru

Swashbuckling Bunny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:22 am
One Night's Patrol...: Jioni & Maji

AIM & Here

Thalion:
    The moon in the lands had been without the hazey cover of the mist for too long. Long gnarled fingers rose up to the clear night sky where once thick, lively branches full of green, lush leaves had whispered in the night wind, glittering like the sea from the dew that had collected. At one time there was a soft humming of the crickets and the chirping of birds as they settled in at sleep...all was silent. A single silken form moved quietly through the short grass of the boarder. A proud figure, heavily muscled on his shoulders and chest but otherwise growing thin. A thick proud mane still lay around his face and shoulders, decorated with woven vines, leaves, and- oddly enough -beads.

Cihiru:
    How long had they been traveling then? Really, the lioness had lost track some time ago... It was hard to say where their journey really began, anyway. Even if she were to pick a day and count from there, the nights and dawns seemed to blend together lately; she would have found it difficult to make sense of it. There was one thing she was sure of, though - Kucha had grown since they left. It was easier to see on him; his mane was fuller now. To her, that meant it must have been a while.

That was the sort of thing she found herself thinking of, as her mind wandered almost as aimlessly as her paws. She was like that sometimes, mind, but it was worse this night than most. Jioni was restless, even. The uncomfortable lash of her raven-tipped tail and and almost hidden unease in her expression was out of place on otherwise ladylike features, but surely she didn't notice.

She did take heed of her surroundings though. If anything, it was them she was paying particular interest... If only because she knew they were were close. Kucha might have been content to rest and put an end to their joruney another day, perhaps discouraged by the thinning foliage and seeming lack of inhabitants. She knew better, though. Or maybe she was just hoping for more - Something, anything to satisfy the incling that demanded she do anything but sleep.

Thalion:
    Maji made his way up to a boulder overlooking the freelands inbetween the boarder and the wild lands. Barbarians lived ou there... their wild ways, their lack of refinement and respect. So many of those monsters were in his home. They knew nothing of the storm king, of the blessed land that had once been beautiful. The trouble started when they came...

He shook his head slowly and looked back out, catching a glympse of movement through the grass...the first thought in his mind was more of them- or some of them returning from a hunt. His ears folded back as he watched, giving a growl loud enough to announce himself.

Cihiru:
    That was likely not what she had in mind at the thought of 'anything'. Her hopes were dashed immediately, chased away by an audible growl that made her recoil a step and fold her ears as if she was going to duck her head. She didn't though. No, the lioness held her head high enough to make visible her quiet pride, though she held where she was when she heard it, and kept any thoughts he might have had to herself - including a greeting. But neither did she attempt to hide.

Thalion:
    Maji's bright blue eyes narrowed in the moonlight. Dispite his apparent hunger he was a strong figure. A long flowing mane of silky silver, a body the color of a stormy sky just after the rain. "Name yourselves and your reason for coming here..." he said loud enough to be heard. However strong his voice was intended to sound...there was a feel of gentlness and sorrow in it.

Cihiru:
    She sighed at that point, more from relief than anything. This was more than blind agression, then. "You may call me Jioni." Pausing only briefly, the lioness ventured to search for the demanding individual. Her gaze fell easily on his pale form under the moonlight, and she gave him a soft smile oblivious to the almost demanding tone - a gift from her mother's patience. "I am just trying to go home."

Thalion:
    "Home?" He inquired quietly. "Just where might that be? And how did you come by knowlege of this place?" Histone wasn't aggressive but demanding at the same time. Soft but strong. It was odd. He didn't sound much like he was used to making such commands... if one could call them that.

Cihiru:
    "Yes..." She started, only slightly softer, and then peeled her eyes from him to survey the surrounding landscape. "Here." There was a certainty in her tone that surprised even her. It sounded more sure than she would have originally expected, but seemed right just the same, despite her initial impression. "I inherited it." Jioni blinked plainly as her eyes settled back on the lion. She could have given a more direct answer, and perhaps this wasn't the best time to be playing coy, but she didn't want to wave around her heritage to strangers any more than he seemed to want them traipsing across 'his' land - even if that was an assumption at this point.

Thalion:
    Maji lowered his head slightly so his head was at level with his shoulders, studying the lioness from where he stood.... she had markings like his kind. Colors as well. "...come closer. I promise not to hurt you." Perhaps...if some of the markings were famiar. He had all but memorised the faces painted onto the walls of his home. Faces and markings of members long gone.

Cihiru:
    "A promise, was it?" It would have been difficult to tell why she repeated him; her tone was little more than noncomittal. She obliged though, pulling herself into the shorter grasses that just brused over her paws as the moon lit the darkness. "I promise if you're looking for someone, it isn't me."

Thalion:
    He slowly prowled from the rock, making his way over her though he kept his distance to a safe one. "....Hmm..." He slowly moved around in a slow circle. The patterns... he'd seen -simular- ones on a pair of lions from the wall. "...your parents... tell me about them?"

Cihiru:
    For the first time, Jioni frowned lightly. The question was more difficult than he might have expected. How much was appropriate to share? What did he need to know? If this was in fact what she suspected, she needed to satisfy him, lest he chase her from the lands they'd sought so long. "Is it possible to summarize an individual's entire life? Let alone two?" She paused thoughtfully before carrying on. "They left their pride a rather long time ago, before my brother and I were born. Not to leave, mind you, but to learn, so they could return and others may benefit from their efforts. They never had that opportunity though. Our father - he used to say I look like Mother, but I'm afraid that's all I have to share."

Thalion:
    Maji listened quietly, his sharpened expression softening at the lioness’ tale. Despite his fuming anger the last few months, he still felt for the outsiders and their situations. Those that really belonged, truly belonged, were welcome. Perhaps there was a way for the lioness to prove her ties. There were countless lions marked on the walls of the caves behind the waterfalls… each of them pride members. In fact he had read of a pair of lions who had left the pride seeking a way to mark all the lands upon the walls, give the lions there some way to know just where each pride was. A better view of their world. “I am sorry for your loss then.” Maji said quietly, then dipped his head towards the waterfalls, “Do you remember them well? Would you recognize them if you saw them again?”

Cihiru:
    The lioness couldn't help but smile solemnly as his remark resurfaced their memories. "Of course. That's not the sort of thing one lets go of easily..." One might even say she remembered them like they'd never left. Jioni could just see them smiling proudly in her recollections, sharing the ways of the world and telling of its mysteries. Memory was funny that way, she supposed, making moments that took place ages ago feel like yesterday. "I had the fortune to know them." But it seemed an odd question; almost as irrelevant as it was prying. After all, how often did one need to recognize a figure of the past? What use could he have for that knowledge? That she couldn't understand.

Thalion:
    Maji nodded slowly and turned, pausing just beside her, "Follow me then if you will. I don't doubt your story but I cannot fully trust you without some proof."

The silvery lion began away once more, padding smoothly though the dry grass towards the jungle. The cliffs where the caves lay was clear on the other side of the valley along its boarders. It was a long walk and seemingly an even longer climb. His build was enough to betray a bit of his lifestyle. Powerful shoulders and legs dispite his somewhat lean figure. Thinner than he should have been even.

Cihiru:
    Follow? Jioni met his instruction with subtle suspicion, narrowing her pale eyes ever so slightly. "Nor can I." She wanted to trust him - really, she did. But here she was, a lone lioness standing in all but familiar lands, exchanging words with an equally unfamiliar male. Reason thought better of it. There were times she was suseptable to such irrationalities, but thankfully, this wasn't one of them. No, it was with an entirely level head she nodded and took after him, keeping on careful alert. Granted, there wasn't much too much she could do in the face of emergency, but she liked to believe she could take care of herself.

That might come even more of a blessing, from the looks of things. To say it wasn't what she had expected became even more and more apparent further in... There were even points her faith considered wavering, betraying her insistance that this was their home. It held firm though, granting a surreal sense of comfort despite her cautious glances at the waning fauna and hesitation toward... Well, toward the lion who had yet to grant her his name.

Thalion:
    Maji continued in silence for much of the walk, his eyes seemed clouded over in through, gazing ahead through the dry night air as they walked on. The forest seemed almost weak, the branches having become dry and britle. The leaves rustled and almost clicked against eachother rather than the once beautiful hissing whispers that they made in the wind.

Maji glanced back a few times over his shoulder, his face twisting in throught. Eventually he drew in a deep breath, "I...think I should perhaps inform you as to why I'm going to such lengths of caution. I suppose it's the least I can do for having you follow me."

He looked forward, his eyes lifting a bit upwards to watch the last of the colors drain from the darkening sky, "...when I woke up here I was all alone. There were no other lions, nothing... I had no mother, no father, no siblings. The land was beautiful then... it almost spoke to me. I could read the markings on the walls, I knew the history of my kind but I had no knowlege of myself, my family... anything. I just knew what I was... a son of the mist."

He leapt up onto a dry log that had once served as a bridge over a small creek... so long ago. He and three of his friends- Baba, Biton, and Gure, had knocked the old log over to get to the other side...

"My friends were things I now have to hunt. Zebra, wildebeast, gazelle...the monkeys here." He looked around, almost as if he expected to see life in the trees again, "Others came... lost ties to the pride. All of them told me such stories. We formed a pride and they pledged themselves to me as it stood... I was the only one who could write or prove my tie to the pride... I accepted them with open paws and taught them of the storm king, of the mists's walkers... everything I could."

His expression darkened, "...then the outsiders came...They came into these lands without announcing themselves. They make their homes here, overhunt the herds I used to lay with at night, drink the waters dry, ignore the blessing this land was...they angered the storm king and for that we are being punished."

He looked gravely over a shoulder, "Even a firekin defiles these lands with his spawn..."

Cihiru:
    While the lion pushed on, Jioni was busy battling with herself as she strode alongside him. There was a part of her that wasn't sure what to make of all this - the realistic, sensible part that was unwilling to accept these remnants of a jungle could possibly be the same majestic sight her parents told of... No matter how plain it was this was the right place. The records told her so; she'd been raised to read them, and there was no mistaking it.

But there was always room for error, right? Maybe she'd read them wrong. Maybe Kucha hadn't noticed either. They were, after all, awfully hopeful. Or more unlikely still, maybe they were recorded improperly in the first place.

There was the other part though; the part that refused to accept doubt on her own behalf. How could she be balking at a time like that? It felt like home. The sort of thing one would have been hard-pressed to pinpoint, and was harder still to explain. It could have been her only chance - their only chance - to settle in their one true home, nevermind its circumstance. In good concience, she couldn't have thrown that away for a shadow of doubt. If it proved otherwise... Well, she'd tackle that if she came to it.

When he said he'd explain though, the story provided was all but what she'd expected. That seemed a regular occurance tonight. But more surprising than the personalness of it all, was the way it explained everything, dashing her fears in one swoop. That was a bit earnest and well-thought for a lie, she reasoned, and her hope eagerly accepted it - though not without reprecussion.

"I am sorry," was all she could manage at first, her ears folding and her expression plainly empathetic, if not regretful.

"We'll leave, if you want... I have no desire to further burden lands you obviously care so much about." Jioni paused a moment, as if to gather her thoughts as she looked on.

Thalion:
    "Those who belong are of no burden to these lands." He said softly, moving smoothly along the side of a riverbank, it was lower now. Much lower. The small dam he had built to store fish for himself as a cub was already whole lengths away from the actual water. His paws moved silently along the river rocks as he approached the thinning waterfall over the cliffs of the mistweaver valley. "Those that know the storm king and praise his blessings upon us, drinking rich of his wisdom and making use of the gifts he gave to his children are more than welcome...thosethat defile these lands I wish them the wrath of the most vengeful storm."

He turned to look up at the cliffs, "Which you are intitled to will lay heavily on a small test I'll ask of you."

Cihiru:
    It would have been with a heavy heart she relenquished their journey, so it came as a relief when he showed it might not come to that. The comment wasn't exactly an open invitation either though. She might have even ventured to say it sounded outright strange. Those who belong - who praise the storm king - a small test? Jioni couldn't have begun to imagine what it was he had in mind, despite the mentions prior. How was she to show a total stranger her place was here; to show him she had no intention but to honor his storm king - her storm king (and how comforting it was to hear from someone else, though that was another story entirely)? She wasn't - Or so she might have thought, had she been less determined and less confidant. "I understand. So be it." The lioness even managed to muster a gentle smile, hopefully conveying her genuine intentions.

Thalion:
    Maji nodded then smoothly began up the side of the cliff, his expert footing and smooth leaps almost seemed routene to the larger lion. "Follow my path up... it's a bit tricky if you're not used to it."

The perfect defense, however. Even the invadors weren't yet honed to the stones that led up into the 'royal' den where Maji hid the true pride and the cubs as they grew, nearly all of which were grown by now. His own...they'd be adults by now if they survived. He paused to glance out towards the boarders again, almost as if he expected to see her coming back...

He frowned and shook out his mane, pressing on. It would be a horribly long climb, seeming longer for someone who hadn't grown used to the strain it could be. Perhaps the silver lion was choosing the most difficult to detour her in case she failed the test, perhaps it was just a path. It was hard to tell, his expression for the most part remained deadpan.

Eventually he pulled himeslf into the mouth of a cavern hidden behind the waterfall, pausing to shake himself off before padding further into the cavern. It was growing dark outside but even from the outside a few feet from the cave, the lioness would be able to see stones glowing from the walls and ground. Soft blue stones illuminating the caves, almost placed perfectally so when one's light began to fade, anothers began to grow.

Inbetween the glowing rocks were marks on the stones, paintings...of words, of animals, of markings and maps. All of them smudged with paws and claw marks. Some fresher than others, some even nearly worn clean away.

Cihiru:
    She hardly needed told to follow; the jutting rocks and uneven, unsupported surfaces were instruction enough. Having grown on the skirts of the desert and open plains, mountain climing was anything but an art she'd mastered, and Jioni knew that well enough.

In fact, she seemed hesitant to keep her eyes on him long, for fear she might lose her footing and make herself look a fool - fairly literally adding insult to injury. Glancing to her path every now and then, she kept careful check on her balance instead, placing each paw only after she felt secure.

Undoubtedly, it slowed her, but she managed well enough. At least, she didn't feel cumbersome. The lioness was too preoccupied to worry over whether or not this was the most direct path, or what was waiting at the end though. Simply getting there seemed more pressing.

Which was probably why the sight that met her as she finally climbed into the cavern caught her so offguard. She took a moment to collect herself, blinking awe-struck as her coat dripped onto the stone beneath her paws.

Once she did gather her wits (only seconds later, running in infamously slow motion), Jioni shook the water from her pelt and looked to the lion between glances toward the walls. "This is what it looks like?..."

She'd heard of it before, here and there, nestled between explanations as her parents shared their mission and what was waiting for them back home. Never could she have imagined it would look like this though. "It's funny how our expectations are limited by our imaginations." Thoughtfully, she took several steps further in, glancing over the records on the wall.

Thalion:
    Maji continued walking through the hallway though his pace slowed a bit, nodding to both the lioness' question and commentary of the caves. "The mistweavers are intelegent, civalized lions...nothing like those mindless barbarians that have come into these lands. We keep track of our pride, our family lines, right down to the storm king himself though much of those markings I've yet to find. Even know."

He made a turn down another corridor, the light glanced off his silvery back slightly, mostly from the dampness, "We record the ingrediants to make healing fluids, how to dress wounds, how to create more ink for the walls, to cook, to hunt... we keep track of the land." He nodded to the markings- these he had made. From a cub- they were much lower down -the land was drawn as green. A bit sloppy but it was enough to explain the situation. The land was green for a while, growing higher on the wall as the lion must have grown until finally it seemed dryer... there were figures along the boarders. One red, black, a few smaller dots, one pink and white.

Again Maji turned down and led the lioness into a massive room. A spiraled path led them from the location they were, up, or down. Along the walls along the spirialing path were painted dozens of figures. "Alright...this is your test." he looked over to her, "Where are your parents?"

Cihiru:
    She followed his lead almost eagerly, keeping her eyes fixed to the scrawlings on the walls. They were not unlike what she'd seen before, but the sheer volume was so close to overwhelming, it seemed as though she might miss something if she turned away too long. Her interest didn't result in total distraction though.

"Mindless barbarians?" Jioni turned toward him at the words, her ears dipping back slightly. "That's not all you've come to think of wanderers as, surely." Lacking the desire to hold her bewildered expression, it fell into something that hinted of seriousness, though her tone was curiously questioning. After all, she considered herself little more than a rogue. She did doubt he would condemn her, should she pass his little 'test', but she wondered if he would others like her. Even if they were turned away from the pride, which she wholly understood, cursing them in entirety with little more than a second glance struck her poorly.

That was the least of her concerns though. As she soon learned, small test was an understatement. This room was anything but small, with countless paintings spanning either direction. "A fair question," she murmered, scanning along the nearest point.

They really did keep records of everyone. It wasn't that she doubted in the first place, but actually seeing it cemented something she found difficult to visualize in concept... Probably because spotting just two individuals was porportionately complicated, especially when she had little idea of where to look.

With her concience hounding her not to keep him waiting, the lioness finally settled on one several minutes later. It was the easier to spot of the two; a pale blue-grey male, with a white mane and markings not at all unlike her own. "This is the closest I'll ever come to being able to say 'meet [father'sname]', I suppose. There's little resemblance though." She studied the figure a moment before moving on, letting it unbury memories she'd forgotten. Like the time she thought it a good idea to pick a fight with a snake (it looked at her funny!), and he comforted her and assured her she was the bravest little lioness he'd ever met, even after she came running all the way home and buried herself in his paws.

When she turned from it to look for the second, there was a warm smile on her previously determined expression. "And this..." had proven much easier to find than the former, as it wasn't far from the first. A little further down - because she was younger, perhaps - but only a handful of individuals apart. "Is [mother'sname]." She was a darker grey; darker than Jioni even, with black accents. If he remembered, it wouldn't have been difficult to tell where the comment about looking like mother came from though.

Thalion:
    "It's...a loose term." He said quietly, looking down to his paws. He never used to say or even think such things as a cub. "Not all of them are that way, mind... I just cannot find it within myself to think much else of lions who steal young cubs from neighboring prides, reducing them to mindless warriors or slaves or breed their own cubs in a land with little food and water. They can't possibly live a good life." He shook his head, "It makes me sad to think there are such dark hearts in this land... when I was younger I wanted to think that everyone had redeeming qualities to them."

He lifted his head when she seemed to have made his decision. The names he would know rather than the forms and that was the important part- growing up he had little other interests that could detour him from reading the pride's history. Two lions -had- left. Map-makers, they wanted to bring the knowlege of the lands outside to the pride and add them to the walls. Knowlege was something to be treasured far above sheer brute force.

He came up behind the lioness, looking to the figures that she had pointed out. He was silent for a moment, looking over the lifeless markings as if they could answer back. Finally he drew in a long breath and glanced over to the lioness, smiling softly, "Welcome home, lady."

Cihiru:
    "It's unfortunate there are individuals who would not only do that, but live by it. I wouldn't expect you to think anything else of them." Relief washed over her as he withdrew the statement though, even partway. It was enough to assure her he still had faith in the integrity of outsiders, and so long as he didn't openly scorn all of them, it was enough to appease her for now. "It was everyone else I was concerned for. After all, though it seems true not everyone has virtue in his heart - the opposite isn't either. At least, I don't believe so. I'm glad to hear you don't either, even now."

Had he voiced his thoughts, Jioni would have been able to confirm them. Their parents were indeed map makers of sorts; their profession drew them all over the lands to record them and their inhabitants. It was the very thing to bring a premature end to their lives, with the way traveled so far from home, and were thrust into precarious circumstances without any support but eachother. The lioness earnestly believed they might have survived to see more if they'd never left, but at least she and her brother preserved most of their knowledge. They could attempt to pass it on, and that did console her; she was no stranger to the value of enlightenment.

His steps closing in behind her pulled her from her musings though, and she bent her neck to look over her shoulder. There was a brief time where she studied him quietly, trying to gauge his reaction, with her own vieled apprehension tinting an otherwise neutral expression. That too was short lived though - the words that broke the silence sparked a bright smile. "Sincerely? And what of my brother?" she asked almost tentately, afraid to decieve herself. Jioni didn't try to hide her joy though; her ears were pricked forward too, and her tail gave a happy sway.

And at last, it truly sank in. "I cannot thank you enough. I do wonder though - may I ask who it is I have the honor of being welcomed by? I never caught your name." It was probably an odd time to ask, but even moreso was thanking someone from the bottom of her heart when she didn't even know his name.

Thalion:
    Maji's expression had softened dramatically from the stern, suspicious expression he had earlier. There was always an almost distant look to the two later, but now his face seemed almost welcoming, gentle, and perhaps a bit weary. His smile was faint but it was a real one at least. "Yes, and your brother if he truely is yours." He nodded his head slowly, turning himself slowly. He opened his mouth to speak but paused as she asked him a second question.

"How very rude of me." He dipped his head in apology. How had he forgotten? Of course, had she proved to have been an enemy it would have been most unwise to hand out his name. "My name is Maji. Nothing spectacular. Quite simple." He chuckled. Simple...but appropreate. "Come, let me show you to where you may rest and drink. It must have been a long journey here."

Cihiru:
    "It's hard to believe we are finally home. Kucha won't believe me..." How could he, with how the lands had changed? They had even spent so long looking, he might have felt they were never destined to find it anyway. But he would come around, she was assured. Surely he too would feel at home.

"Cautious, not rude." Jioni was still smiling brightly. "I am very honored to meet you, Maji." He may not have realized how much she truly meant it. If they had not made the encounter, would she and Kucha have wandered through, second-guessing themselves and saying this couldn't possibly be it?

The lioness was just glad it hadn't come to that. "I would appreciate it. And honestly, I lost track a long time ago. It seems like we have always been traveling." Not for wanderlust though; hopefully it wouldn't take them long to settle in, and grow accustomed to a stationary lifestyle. "Thank you again."

Thalion:
    "I never used to have reason for caution." Maji explained as he walked, "And I do hope that you and your brother can find peace and rest here at last though I will have to be honest with you..." He looked over slowly, "A scout of ours -rather that of an ally pride- has informed us that there is a pride seeking to wage war on us. We're making all preperations possible. I can advise you to take caution around the boarders...this enemy had planted his spies among us. We've only recently been able to rid our lands of the abomination of a lioness..." He shook his head.

He'd known that Ithi was trouble the day she came in. He had been young still, mane only having grown along his neck and shoulders back then but he'd never been stupid. She'd always whined, always cried about how she wasn't good enough. It was the first time Maji had ever lost his temper towards someone. When she'd born cubs with the markings and colors of the enemy he knew it wasn't as simple as having been raped... it was never that simple. He'd suspected... and those suspicions were confirmed when Moses had vanished.

"My dear cousin has lost one of his cubs to the enemy...they seek to take these lands. We're waiting on the return of a messanger to the pridelands, seeking an allyance against this threat."

Cihiru:
    "Times are bound to change, I suppose, with or without our approval. But I believe they are bound to turn for the better, too." She tried to hold her positive expression, but it dissolved under the weight of the grave news that followed, giving way to concern. "Though sometimes not as soon as we hope."

That was not the way she might have dreamed ending her welcome. Not at all. "I am very sorry for your loss," she added, and lowered her head as she tried to comprehend why. Why would they take them, and why would they want to? Glad as she was to finally be here, it wasn't exactly a prime location to make a home - especially not for a pride large enough to wage war.

He mentioned allies though - even if what was left of the mistweavers was small, it was possible their assistence could change everything. "Are you hopeful for ally support?" But on the other hand, it could have just as easily been in vain. After all, she knew nothing of current pridal affairs.

Thalion:
    "We are...", Maji nodded slowly, "This pride is small but for the moment we must keep it that way. I regret sending the outsiders away but they've shown no respect to us. They avoid the pride here bt expect to live off what we've long protected. I believe that the storm king is angry that his gift to us is being abused. If we could have allys then they could come to our aid while we focus on rebuilding our lives here. Afterwards we may be able to return the favor."

He pulled himself out of the record chamber and back down into the hallway, flicking his tail as an indication for her to follow him. "We've befriended the Anansi... a mysterious but trustworthy group. They've managed to retrieve very valuable information."

Cihiru:
    "How small?" The lioness nodded her understanding though. Desperate times did call for desperate measures, and these seemed little else. "Do what you must; this is no time for regrets." It was unfortunate things had come to that - she could certainly understand what inspired the 'mindless barbarian' sentiment. But what little information he provided still sounded like good news. "One could hope they would never need it returned," she added wistfully.

With one last look over her shoulder, at the illustrated history behind them, Jioni trailed after him, out into the halls. "The Anansi?" Now, she liked to think herself a well-versed individual, educated even in matters she wasn't particularly interested in. To have to admit she was unfamiliar with this one was a bit of a dark realization, if only because she was embarrassed not to know of such a seemingly admirable group. "I am glad to hear it." She could only pray they stayed that way.

Thalion:
    Maji made another turn in the caves, glancing to the markings shortly as he walked, "Very small..the true members anyway. There's myself and my sworn sister, her mate and his family. Then my young cousin Ramses, his mate, and their children. My ...half sister has also returned to us and brought along with her a few that she'd met in ther travels. Other than that the beasts of this land have long been my friends." He cleared his throat a bit. Most thought that was something indecent of a ruler.

"The Anansi recently came to us through our very own tunnels... they live in the underground and say that they know of all prides because their tunnels travel under their very paws. A dangerous sort, they worship the god of trickery but I'm glad to have them tricking for us rather than against... already we've learned valuable information."

Cihiru:
    That was hardly even a remnant of the pride she might have expected. "Well, it shouldn't take long to make acquaintances." It served to ground her perspective, giving her a more realistic grasp on just how important it was to have allies, and more importantly, to atone for the misfortune that had befallen the land and its dependents. Fleetingly, she did wonder though - Was the ill-use and disrespect wholly responsible for claiming so many lives?

"I cannot say I've ever had the opportunity to know one." The lioness gave Maji a bit of a sideways, curious glance; in part for the statement, and the rest for the uncomfortable way he finished it. She didn't exactly know he was the ruler of sorts, though it did strike her a bit odd to socialize with a life one would inevitably have to end. And if he meant elephants and the like - which seemed reasonable enough - why the hint of discomfort?

His comment regarding the Anansi coaxed a shadow of doubt into her expression though, surfacing in the way her ears tipped back ever-so-slightly, for 'trustworthy' and 'trickery' struck her at somewhat conflicting angles. "You trust them in earnest?"

Thalion:
    Maji nodded slowly at her first statement. "You have returned, afterall. The Storm King's will is already coming into play. My sister has returned, the outsiders are beginning to flee from our lands, perhaps we are on our way to redemption at long last."

He half expected the polite return reguarding his past friendships. It would be a far too dull story to elaborate back on how when he awoke in these very caves that he was the only lion in the entire valley, that he ate fish back when there was enough to feed a lion, rather than red meat. That he used to sleep with the gazelles... and that three of the creatures were still his friends and under his protection. He quietly wondered how his old friends were doing...

"You find the most trustworthy hearts in the body of a trixter sometimes, and the greatest trixters in the body of those you once thought to be most trustworthy."

Cihiru:
    "We have," she returned, surprisngly brightly, obviously grateful for the turn in conversation. It would have seemed her mood wouldn't stay downtrodden long. "It is at least certain progress toward mending, I should think." Jioni was in no place to judge the Storm King's will, nor would she have claimed to be, but it did seem a step in the right direction, if nothing else. She made a small, but decisive nod for emphasis.

Then stopped - actually paused in her trail with Maji - and gave his words careful consideration. Her tail gave a few idle flicks, and the look on her face was obviously thoughtful. A few moments later, when she was through weighing them, the lioness resumed her stride and pulled alongside him. "No, it's not the mischevious spirit that makes me wary. It is the decietfulness that seems so willing to associate with what I've come to think of as 'trickery'. But," she turned her head to meet his gaze, "if you trust them, so do I. I do not mean to doubt your judgement."

Thalion:
    Maji stopped and turned as the lioness paused in her step, his ears rotating forward slowly. It wasn't difficult to note the slight discomfort and confusion in her expression. He gave a soft smile and nodded forward, "Perhaps I should explain better." He offered, "I'm told I speak of riddles sometimes. Not always the best way to welcome someone new though I would rather dwell on something that might rest your mind rather than grow suspicious as we've become in days of late."

Maji stepped into a massive room, round and tall once more. There was a pond in the center of it, fed from a small underwater stream. The water was horribly clear, upon looking down one could see all the way down to where the river flowed, illuminated by the mysterious stones in the rock. It gave the pool a glowing appearence. The room was lined with moss, it was damp and dark enough for it to grow freely, and even bud small little white flowers. The walls were decorated with paintings, some were akward... down at cub's level and developed into more readable figures as it grew higher on the wall. Along the side of the room it looked like a stack of wood and stone. Upon closer look it was a primitive table. Stones stacked up to support a strip of tree bark, still curved akwardly but the bark had been cleaned with claws. On top sat more curved bits of wood and leaf holding powder, some kind of liquid, and even some berries. Very few- but still some.

Maji looked around slowly, fondly. "...This is where I first awoke."

Cihiru:
    "There is nothing to explain." She shook her head gently. "I am sure there will come a day when I may meet the Anansi and see their deeds for myself, and until then, your word is more than enough to rest my mind." Earnest, almost childlike trust left no room for suspicion in her heart, lest the Anansi themselves would somehow come to scorn her... But she seriously doubted it would ever come to that. She wasn't able to dwell on it long anyway. As the halls gave way to another room, the lioness was once again drawn in by the scenery it offered, and dropped the contemplation from her mind.

"It is beautiful," Jioni commented honestly, her gaze tracing across the area. The way moss clung to the stone and bore small blossoms, and the crystal water fed into the cinter almost made it seem as though this room was shielded against the hardship that plagued the jungles outside. Fleetingly, she wondered if there were others like it.

The records on the wall tugged at her curiosity too, but the way they progressed discouraged her from examining too closely, as she had the writings before. They felt too... personal, almost; something she didn't want to poke her nose into unless explicityly invited. He must have spent a great deal of time here, and she could guess they were his recordings over the years.

"... I am sorry you were alone though." Genuine sadness tinged her otherwise content features; that was a tribulation she wouldn't pretend to fathom. If nothing else, Jioni had always had her family, and he hadn't even had that. A quick glance to Maji showed he was not upset, and went a long way toward smoothing her empathetic, albeit faint melancholy - but she couldn't help imangining how hard it must have been to wake one day and find her world empty.

Thalion:

Maji circled the pond slowly, looking up around the markings of the room. Most were his, others had been there long before he'd awaken- one had been the name he had taken for himself. His mother's only message to him. He often wondered how she was, what kind of a lioness she was and other futile things of the sort. Even then he had none of his memories of her or his father, none of the pride. It was all a blank, replaced with the memories of the pride's history. Only words, never faces. "There is no reason to be sorry." He looked over and smiled a bit, "I must always count myself fortunate to have survived whatever took them. The Storm King granted this pride a second chance and allowed me the knowlege of those fallen to pass to the others that returned to him."

He came to the water and sat himself down, giving a weary sigh. He was still a young lion but the fammine on the land was taking a toll on his strength, "And I had my friends... the gazelle and the like. If not for them I suppose it would have been miserable. The Storm King always provides for his children if they believe."

Cihiru:
    He was right, of course. In a backward, bittersweet sort of way... But he was blessed to be alive, and she supposed it was enough he was grateful. In light of that, she vowed not to worry it further. After all, he knew his place and his mission - and seemed content with it. Who was she to meddle in his affairs? And why hadn't that occured to her sooner?...

Inwardly, she gave a grim smile, bemused at her own antics. "Only the Storm King himself knows what actually happened, then?" If memory served, he implied it once or twice prior, but... Well, she was as eager to steer conversation away from her embarrassment as she was to confirm the source of the loss was indeed still a mystery. It was a sad thing to think of, but even worse was to imagine it was some sort of reconciliation for mistakes they were unaware of. What was to stop it from reoccuring?

"And Maji, I am sorry to keep you." The way he seated himself and sighed jarred some sort of realization in the depths of her distracted mind. It was getting later by the moment, and surely he would need rest at some point. As for herself; she still had to return to Kucha and convince him of her news, and make it back here if time and energy allowed.

Thalion:
    "Oh think nothing of it." He shook his head. "I do not feel kept in any way. It has just been a long season. I've been required to join the hunting parties rather than aiding in the return of the meal... I... am not fond of taking life from the creatures here but it is nessicary. The storm king wouldn't have it any other way. Lions cannot suvive on grass and he has taken from us the fish." Maji slowly laid himself down and gave a deep sigh, both paws curling up into his thick mane.

"I have shown you the way here. The others rest in caves of their own choosing, you are free to do so if you wish...and your brother when you find him."

Cihiru:
    "That is true," she started simply... softly, unsure how to adequately respond. She had been thinking it often tonight; she was aware of it, but... Well, it was unfortunate. She couldn't reason it any other way, and she was deeply empathetic. Not sorry for him, mind - She knew better than to pity others, but she saw no harm in wishing him brighter days.

"Good night, then. And thank you again." With that, and a smile hiding none of her gratefulness, the lioness gave him a farewell nod. She then turned and took back through the hallways, on her way back to her brother.

Thalion:
    "And to you, lady." He dipped his head slowly, "You know where you can find me if you need anything. I would like to meet your brother. Perhaps in the morning once we've all had some rest."

He watched her pad her way out, frowning a bit, moreso from thought than anything. There was a lot to attend to in the morning...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:25 am
We're Home: Reservation in hopes I may some day be less lazy.  

Cihiru

Swashbuckling Bunny

Cihiru

Swashbuckling Bunny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:27 am
Kisuli and the Newcomers: Jioni, Kucha, Kisuli & Tinari
Here

Thalion
    Suli yawned as he stepped himself out onto the balcony of his own cave, stretching his claws out in front of him as he stretched himself out. His tounge rolled out as he stood himself up and glanced about, still half lost in the daze of the morning's sleep. It was nearing mid-noon and the heat of the day was starting to set in. He licked at his chops a bit, nose wrinkling up at the sticky dryness in his mouth.

He'd been asked to see to the newcomers as soon as he could, first thing in the morning Maji had said, but to the young lion first thing sometimes meant much later on in the day than it would for any other lions. He wasn't exactally lazy, just overly fond of dazing off in the shade.

Kisu brushed out the fluff growing along his chest, smirking proudly at the growth his mane had undergone in the last few months. Tinari would be impressed next he went to visit the elephant.

Giving a confident chuckle he turned and started down the side of the cliffs, picking his way carefully down the rocks. He said she'd likely be in the jungle or just around the edges of the caves. The lion paused at the edge of one of the larger rocks and gave a bit of a roar, announcing himself to the others in the area. If anything else, she'd hear him. Perhaps she'd been told to watch for him too.

Cihiru
    After all was said and done, their first night in Mistweaver territory had rounded out more or less like any other. Granted, it might have taken a little longer than they might have liked or expected, but... Well, it was said and done, and they were both still in one piece. And home, no less. Though convincing Kucha had been a little trickier than Jioni might have hoped. Safe to say, the male was much more reluctant than she.

A late finish had also led to a late beginning, for the lioness at least, who had spent a much greater portion of the previous night awake than her brother. She dozed easily through the early morning hours, shielded against the intrusive rays by the foliage dividing them. No, she'd not made it back to the caves the night before. Turned out she wasn't quite feeling up to it.

Or maybe Kucha wasn't. Neither could quite remember; it was a detail of little importance. One thing was sure though. The sun was just starting to filter through the leaves, speckling the ground below - likely an hour or two past sunrise. And Kucha was dreadfully bored.

He'd wandered a fair bit since he'd woken at dawn, driven mostly by a curiosity to hunt down just what it was exactly that had lured Jioni so. She was unreasonably fond of the area already, attached by some sense of beloning or homeland or something or other. Whatever it was, he was piggishly determined to puzzle it out, even if it took all day.

... But that was a fair while ago, and his drive was wavering by then, snuffed in part by the complete lack of anything he'd managed to find. Drying foliage and just trickling streams didn't do much to feed it. In fact, the further in he trekked, the less interested he became. So the lion did the only thing he could think of, and went to wake his sister (make her point it out to him).

It didn't pan out the way he would have imagined though. The lioness met him part way, creeping through what few shadows there were, so that when they met, she nearly startled him with her "Good morning, Kucha."

"You're a bit late for that," he retorted, giving his tail an idle flick as he pulled alongstride her.

"Come, I want to show you something," was her response, offered with that gentle smile and a slight nod as she turned back toward the cliffs.

"Good, I had wanted to ask you to show me something." The lion was as sarcastic as he was playful. Kucha did adore his sister, but there were times he couldn't help but wonder just what it was she was doing with her good sense and level head.

Thalion
    Kisulisuli rotated his ears forward slowly, listening for any kind of response. His lips quirked a bit, lazy eyes rolling back a bit as the lion made his way down the cliff's face towards the jungle. The evening still left the spicy smell of dry grass on the wind, turned into an almost natural perfume in the swirling mists spraying from the waterfalls. They'd grown thinner in recent months, not enough to fully expose the hidden caves, but enough to show the sorry state that the valley had been facing as a result of the 'storm king's wrath' as many called it.

Dusty paws met with the dry grass, crunching it as he made his way lazily through the grass, now and then yawning off the day's sleep. Bugs flew up around him from the dry leaves in sprays- fireflies and the like, not yet dark enough to really enjoy the flicks of light they produced.

Suli turned himself towards the lake where he assumed the newcomers would meet him- or if anything else they'd have slept close to keep near some source of water. The elephant herd often lazed about towards the end of the day. Tinari, Suli's better friend, was an adolecent bull by now, proudly sporting a pair of handsome tusks. He had warned Suli that soon it would be the season for must- pretty much the elephant's mating season - and he was best to avoid that area.

Suli shook out his dusty mane as he approached the lake, glancing around shortly. Sure enough the elephants could be seen spraying themselves free of the dust they'd collected during the day, rolling around in deep mud trenches they'd carved out for themselves or socializing.

"Well well." A misty blue elephant lifted his head from the water, trodding himself over towards the incoming lion, "Look who finally has a mane."

Kisuli smirked, puffing his chest out a bit more, "And yourself- those tusks are looking pretty decent."

Tinari chuckled, curling his trunk around one of them, "Yup. Just got done rubbing them." Meaning there was one more tree minus much of its bark. "What brings you around this early in the evening? Last I checked you don't like to get up till the sun's gone."

"True." Kisu yawned a bit, "But my uncle has me out showing some new-comers around."

"Outsiders?" The elephant quirked a sharp brow.

"Naw." Kisu waved a paw as he seated himself, "Old members... parents took off a while ago but-" He made a motion accross his throat.

"Ah."

"You've not seen them around? The lioness is a dark blue with some black splotches."

"Not that I can remember." He rubbed his chin with the end of his trunk thoughtfully. "I saw that cheetah again."

"The one that thinks he's a lion."
    "That one." Tinari smirked.

Cihiru
    "Is that so?" she questioned, meeting his gaze with a sidelong glance as they moved along, pressing through undergrowth and over drying leaves with amiable strides.

"It is." Kucha gave a surprisingly serious nod, almost grave in contrast to his sister's contented smile.

She could have guessed as much. "Because you don't trust me," she teased, flashing a toothy grin.

"Good to see you haven't lost your touch with ill-stating my intentions in a fashion I can hardly argue with." To an outsider, it might have been difficult to tell he was not displeased, but Jioni knew better. Frustration was not his way - especially not with her.

"You worry too much. You know me better than that, Kucha. You know I would never lead us astray."

The lion shook his head, his full mane swaying. "Intentionally. We went through that already. And you know it's not because I don't trust you."

"It is because you don't understand what could possibly transpire in a single evening to make me want to call this place home." She nodded in understanding, and acceptance of his silent reply. Nothing more needed saying - the conversation was already remarkably similar to one they'd had already. The only difference was today, she'd show him.

Kisuli's roar may have been lost to them, drowned out by the distance as it failed to carry through the jungle's foliage, but his conversation following later was not. Bits drifted to them, clearer yet the further the two carried on. By the time they could actually make sense of it, it was enough to give them both pause.

"She sounds familiar," Kucha commented softly, glancing toward his sister.

... But she was already heading toward them, her paws carring her at a brisk trot. "Excuse me," she offered at last, almost shyly, as the figures pulled into view.

Thalion
    Tinari lifted his large head up, both leathery ears fanning out as the lions approached them. He had no reason to be overly careful- with half the herd behind him enjoying the water and mud, a lion would think twice before attempting anything. Even then- a single elephant was still a match for a handful of them, even if he was a bit young. He pointed over with his trunk, gaining Kisulisuli's attention, "Those your friends?"

"Huh?" Suli tipped his head a bit, eyeing the pair of lions. Two- oh yes, her brother. Maji'd mentioned him. "Ooh yeah." The lion grinned a bit as he rolled himself back to his belly and pushed himself to his paws, "Jioni I think?"

Cihiru
    An elephant, Kucha noted as he brought up the rear. Despite the sloshing of the herd in the background, it was not quite what he had expected the other would be keeping as company, to say the least. He gave a nod anyway though, and perked his ears as Jioni pulled herself forward to make greetings.

"Yes?" was all she offered at first, mirroring her brother's nod. "That is my name. And this is Kucha," she added, motioning toward him with her head as he gave her a look only she would know was questioning. "Was there something you needed?"

Thalion
    "Naw." Kisuli glanced between the two, his eyes had kind of a critical edge behind the apparent lax that he almost carried himself with these days. The new comers were a bit thin and obviously well-traveled. Both had markings that were simular to many of the other natives, they had the colors though yellow and gold were a bit unfamilar. Then again, the true members of the pride had died off long ago, leaving behind only a few fragments or lower-bred members that had wondered in or had been bred between outsiders and natives.

He seemed content with his short study of the two and extended a paw out, "I'm Kisulisuli, Uncle Maji couldn't make it down this morning. He had something to attend to with another bunch of lions that came in earlier. Something real important."

Tinari nodded his large head, "Yes, they've been discussing it for some time. I overheard some of the others," He motioned over his shoulder with his large trunk, "Speaking about how simular the new comer female looked to Maji. I'm excited to hear more about it but for now all we have are speculations. Not much good wasting time on humoring those though."

"True enough." Suli chuckled, "Anyway, Uncle Maji wanted me to show you around this place a bit. Make you feel at home."

Cihiru
    The ivory one met the lion's inspection with an inward smile. Caution was good. He could relate, and welcomed it with the sort of understanding that came with being reluctant himself. The notion went a surprisingly long way toward smoothing his own suspicion - something Jioni would have been grateful for, had she known.

Uncle Maji though? That explained a few things... Like how he knew her name, and why he'd apparently been talking of her. "Pleased to meet you, Kisulisuli." A stark contrast from the simple 'Maji'. And a bit of a mouthful, too. It was a nice name though; she wouldn't dare complain.

His gesture was strange, too. Kucha met the extended paw with an ever-so-slightly arched brow, and held his place while Jioni pushed hers forward a few moments later. His seemed awkward and expectant sitting out there all on its lonesome. Hopefully that was what she was supposed to do, and it didn't look as odd to him as it had to them.

"It is nothing bad, I hope?" she questioned trailingly, at mention of 'something important'. Their tone didn't make it sound urgent, but one could never be sure...

And her brother followed the query several moments later, as Kisuli explained his purpose. "A kind notion. Thank you both," he commented, as earnestly as he could manage through his suspicion. It couldn't hurt, at any rate, and that was true enough.

Thalion
    "I've never known him to have anything 'bad' come of things he says are important. Not when concerning the locals anyway." Tinari chuckled a bit, "Even as a cub he'd say building a rock dam in the river for fish was 'important', or playing with the monkeys. Lion politics still escape me a bit so you'll have to forgive me."

Kisuli met Jioni's paw simply by touching the back of his paw to hers, a strange gesture that his uncle had come up with for greeting those they deemed as allys. Some kind of 'secret gesture' he supposed. "Yeah, it's nothing bad I don't think. He looked a bit...pale I guess but none of us have eaten very well you know. And the water tastes like mud in some places."

He stood himself up, shaking out his dusty mane, "Alright, well uh..." He motioned a paw over towards the lake. "This is the lake. It was much bigger when I was little. It's still probibly the deepest water in the valley and until it rains probibly your best bet at getting a mouthful of clean water."

Cihiru
    "That is a relief," the lioness sighed, giving a faint smile and a slight nod. What a tragedy it would be to have only just arrived, and have ill news already... The state of affairs here was concern enough without it. "I think politics tend to escape everyone - to some degree or another."

"You're sure it's alright for us to stay here?" It was Kucha who spoke this time, his ears perked forward in rapt attention. "You sound as though you - and the lands - have more than enough to deal with already." He caught Jioni's eye then, and for perhaps the first time since they'd discussed staying, exchanged an understanding glance. Neither wanted to be additional burden.

The pair pushed themselves to their limbs, and briefly followed his motion out over what was left of the pool. 'Until the rains...' They could only wonder how long that would be. The lands were obviously in dire need, and soon would be its inhabitants. "At least it's close," Kucha added absently - part honest, and part sarcastic. Traveling the greater portion of a day to reach water wasn't all that unheard of.

Thalion
    Kisuli wrinkled his nose up a bit, "Yeah you're allowed to stay here. Uncle Maji said you both belong here anyway, somethin' about your folks running off to do some work for the pride and you two being the ones to come back. Don't worry about it, you're not here to eat up our herds or pop out fifteen cubs to make things worse." He chuckled a bit, "Those have been our larger problems. There was even a firekin trying to lodge here." There was a sharpness to his tone with the mention of that pride. They'd not met the red brute personally but there was little reason to. Firekin were firekin- it was partly their fault for the fall of the old pride.

"The lions around here believe a god will make it rain again." Tinari explained, "There's a few rumors on just how that will happen but again." He waved his trunk dismissively, "I'll believe it when I see it."

"Bah, ignore him." Suli loped his way around the edge of the lake, "If you need to ever find your way back to the caves just follow a river upstream. The rivers are fed by the waterfalls that run over the face of our cliffs." He nodded forward, "Even if they dry up you can find us by following the waterbeds."

Cihiru
    Jioni tilted her head ever-so-slightly, quirking at the elaboration. She hadn't mentioned their parents' purpose, certainly. That much she was sure of. "Running off makes it sound a little glamorous, I think. If not for their efforts, not even we would be returning." She straightened herself then and gave her tail a faint twitch. "We were not born here, you know. In spite of it, Maji is under no obligation to accept us." Her belief was cemented though. If she had been even a hint of uncertain before, she was convinced then - this was the place they had heard about.

Kucha too was contented, if not a little anxious to meet this Maji. Important figures were always a curiosity, especially if he knew as much of their lineage as he seemed to. "No, I don't expect you'll have to worry about that. Not from me, at least." An ornery grin curled his maw as he glanced at Jioni, albeit a faint one. She met it with a disapproving, comparatively stern expression. "Was, though? The firekin left - or have you removed him? And I assume there are others outside the pride trying to take residence here?" He hadn't meant to overwhelm with questions, but if they were to stay here, he expected to be aware of the state of things.

"He will," Jioni assured quietly as she followed, despite Suli's dismissal. "Hopefully it will never come to that." The thought of dry riverbeds was anything but a pleasant one.

Thalion
    "He left." Suli shrugged a bit, "Our scout saw them leaving the boarders not too long ago with his mate and all their little ones. Good riddance I say. The last time the firekin stepped paw into this territory they kidnapped our princess- or so Maji says. There's a lot of stories on the walls of the caves around here. I'm learning how to read, some of the markings are still kind of difficult for me to remember."
    "Another thing I can't understand about your kind." Tinari noted, trogging himself out of the mud onto the riverbank. It seemed he was interseted in joining the little 'tour group' himself. "The whole buisness of throwing berry juice and mud on the walls to keep your history. That's why my kind has the storytellers." He curled his trun up under his chin a bit, stomping heavily after the trio of lions, "Of course I've heard your species doesn't live nearly as long as we do."

"Ah we live plenty long." Suli snapped, wrinkling his nose up, "And besides, there's nothing wrong with the way we do things." He glanced over to the pair of strangers, "You get used to comments like that. Uncle Maji's got a few non-lion buddies hanging around. There's a cheetah that's dead convinced that he's a lion- digging on my cousin." He chuckled a bit, jumping himself over a fallen log. Fresh by the looks of it. "My old man said it's hard to adjust to this pride again. He remembers the old king too you know."

"Some of the elephants mention him but we were never on real friendly terms with your kind. We protect our rivers, you all pray to them." He chuckled a bit, "If there is such thing as gods and goddesses I think they have better things to do than to listen to our problems. That's what we've always believed anyway."

"Yeah and you guys still munch on ruffage." Suli made a bit of a gagging sound.

Cihiru
    He left? Surely it wasn't as simple as that - families didn't uproot themselves and relocate just for a fleeting whim, especially not if they had 'little ones'. That thought was a little unnerving. Something had to have spurred it; the question was... what? A feeling of unwelcome he could tolerate, but if it was because the lands were more inhospitable than they looked, he would have had to reconsider.

"You take his word for it? There are no others who can read, or who remember the firekin or princess?" Though he had been mostly won over already, it was Kucha's nature to play the devil's advocate. Someone had to, because Jioni was far too trusting.

Besides, he wanted to hear there were others... More than this Maji who could read. To think such a large part of their culture may have been lost was saddening.

"Records are more permanent than storytellers," Jioni explained, overlooking the elephant's suggestion of their short lifespans. "They don't change, either. You could reread them as many times as you like, and the story will never change. Words have a way of evolving as we retell them though. The stories you hear now may... or may not be the same as when they originated."

It was an interesting thought though; something she'd never really considered before. It wasn't that she'd never heard stories, or told some of her own, but she thought important events were better written down. Leaving their accounts to her memory was... Well, it was unreliable. She couldn't put much faith in a storyteller's memory either, especially not if they added exaggerated flair, as storytellers often did.

"It is no trouble," the lioness added dismissively. "He did mention befriending other species." It still crossed her as a little strange though. Particularly the 'cheetah who thinks he's a lion' bit; he must have been quite the character.

Thalion
    Suli shrugged a bit, "I don't have any reason not to believe what he says. No one that's come here from the outside claiming to be of the pride knows how to read or write from what I gather. I met only one outsider myself- he was just kind of a trembling little coward. Wanted to stay here." Suli took a short glance around the place. Dry, dead, it was nothing like the place he knew in his cubhood- and even then it was the start of a dry age for them, "I dunno why... this place has nothing to offer. We're hardly managing ourselves."

Tinari nodded gravely, "God or not, unless the rain comes along soon my kind will even have to move on. No water, no leaves- we'll starve or dry up." His trunk wrinkled up a bit inbetween his eyes, "But I can agree with fuzzy- why so many started to come is beyond me."

Kisu shook his head a bit, "We'll never know. They're gone and that's that. Don't know how we managed to get them all to pick up and go but they did. Perhaps the storm king, perhaps not." He smirked a bit at Jioni's explanation of records, "See I've been trying to tell him that forever. He still likes storytellers."

"Permanant or not it's part of our culture. We can't exactally make doodles on cave walls." He waved his trunk around a bit, "I don't think I'll ever understand that bit about you folk."

"Yeah and you eat leaves." Kisu chuckled a bit. They were nearing the cliffs by then. The waterfalls were still present though they'd dimmed from a roaring torrent of pure water into a trickle. All the caves that had once been hidden by the falls were now out in the open, exposed for everyone to see. "Alright you see that one?" Kisu pointed up to one of the higher cave mouths- it was just behind one of the larger 'trickles', "That's where the main chamber is. All the more important records are written up there. Maji spends a lot of time there. He sleeps in one of the rooms so if you need him that's the best place to try. Also has most of the pride's history written there. It's just a good place to know about overall."

Cihiru
    "Fair enough," Kucha relented, a hint discouraged by the truth of it. No one could read or write? None at all? It was a travesty.

Jioni wasn't content to leave it at that though. "Well, for whatever it's worth, we can."

Her brother shrugged idly, tossing her a 'you didn't need to say that' stare (which she ignored). "I suppose that's one of those things you will likely never know... And I'm sure your kind aren't the only ones," he added, addressing Tinari.

"I am sure you could," Jioni purred with a confident smile. His prehensile trunk actually looked quite suitable for the task, but that was beside the point. "But even still, no one is asking you to change, or even understand it. I had only hoped you would accept it as an adequate method, rather than a frivolous one. Though it seems mutual - in that case, I hardly blame you," she added, almost teasingly.

As the cliffs and caves pulled into plainer view, the lioness glanced to her brother, who had been pacing silently alongside her. "That is what I had wanted to show you." She let her gaze travel over the cliff front, and the falls which spilled over its face.

"Is that so?" he replied distantly, somewhat intrigued and curious, but only partially invested. "Are all the caves connected to that one?" This was spoken more clearly, as it was directed to the others.

Thalion
    Tinari only shrugged, "I'm sure I could learn but it might not be practical to. Afterall, only elephants would be able to see to the level that I'd write and I can't really get into your caves to read what you've written- or bend down to your level to read comfortably. It's really not been nessicary in our culture, stories are just as good really."

"We can just agree to disagree on this one." Suli piped in, then glanced ahead to the caves, "Well kind of... it's kind of like a maze if you've not gotten used to all the paths. It was kind of a way to keep us safe. Strangers wouldn't know how to navigate, they could get lost in there easily. I think that all the rooms eventually link up to eachother but I've not explored all of them just yet."

"It's kind of strange to use a maze to protect yourself." Tinari noted. He understood that the lions were different from the elephants. His kind could stand out in the middle of a field and so long as they were with the herd, they were pretty much invincible. He'd heard tell of lions living out in the open as well but it was kind of strange considering these were the only lions he'd grown to know.

Cihiru
    Tinari was fairly singular-minded, wasn't he? Kucha flicked an ear in idle observation, his tufted tail swaying absently. His sister had always been the conversational, friendly one though; he denied remark in favor of silent musing.

It was Jioni who spoke instead, and not in response to the elephant. "You're unsure?" Well, that was interesting. The caverns must have been more vast than she first imagined. The lioness made a note to explore as frequently as she could afford it, for her curiosity knew few boundaries.

Much to Kucha's exasperation, at times. He passed her a knowing glance, at which she grinned pleasantly. He remained impassive; she had always been that way. Really, he hardly could have blamed her for wanting to learn more. Remembering stories paled in comparison to the vibrance of discovering reality, even if what he felt in the sensation couldn't compare to her joy. "Lions are strange creatures," Kucha added dismissively, though he was in part poking fun at his sister.

Jioni ignored him. She was busy staring up at the cliff face, imagining the tunnels which undoubtedly sprawled past the mouths she could see, and the paintings which were sure to adorn at least some of their walls. There was much to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:04 am
Lazy Dreaming: Kucha & Kizuka
Here

Kisoni
    Finally. Kizuka looked out at the forest, for once staring eye-level at the branches and leaves rather than the base of the trunk and finally felt as if she were really home. Living on the border had been nice, but it wasn't entirely the same. Now that she had her family settled nearer the rest of the group, though Momo had elected to stay on the forest floor, she could relax a bit more than she had been. Here there was still some yellow-green left, rather than the deteriorated state of the borderlands, thanks to the slow pulse of water still flowing over the side of the cliffs.

As a child she'd known how to block out that sound from everything else, push the roar back until it became nothing more than a sweet whisper compared to the call of a bird or the snap of a branch. That ability had faded in time, but Kizuka thought she could relearn it easily, especially now as the waterfall was far from being in full-force.

She rose enough from her cliff-side perch to stretch, not even blinking at the slight moss stains in the white portion of her fur. There wasn't much moss left and what there was had a tendency to break and rub off more easily than a paw could slide on ice; though the knowledge that the lichen should have been a thick carpet up here bothered her, it was only a temporary darkness on the happy that had flooded Kizuka's system for the first time in a long time. She was back with her pride. She had her mate and her daughter and her friends with her. There was water, if there was nothing else.... and there wasn't much anyone could do to make her snappish or upset right now.

Though she'd thought to go and walk the area, or make a patrol on the borders again, the lioness found herself slipping right back down onto the rocks and giving a great yawn. Her reserves were long since burned out and despite the joy of her heart, her body was know aching for rest and sleep and food to replenish itself. Ushaufu was insisting on providing the last of these needs, and she had to admit that he was more capable than she was to do it. With that in mind, as well the consideration of his insistence that she regain the health she'd lost (his worry of losing her was written all over his face), Kizuka let herself stay where she was. The waterfall nearby still kicked up some stray droplets that splattered in her fur and added to the content smile upon her maw.

Cihiru

Swashbuckling Bunny

Cihiru

Swashbuckling Bunny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:17 am
Welcome Back: Jioni, Kucha, Kisuli & Maji
Here

Thalion
    Kisulisuli stepped up to the first level of the Mistweaver caves, waiting just long enough for the lioness and her brother to catch up before continuing on. The caves were once damp and cool from the spray of waterfalls that hid the entrance to nearly all of them. Now they were almost muggy and warm towards the mouths. Damp enough, there was still some water trickling in small, almost insignificant streams down the side of the face. It made it a bit less comfortable to lounge about close to the entrances.

The deeper they walked, the cooler and more dry it became, and thus a bit more pleasant. The caves were lit through stones placed just near small cracks in the cave, just enough light to display the aisles and aisles of history written on the walls. Jioni had already seen much of them during her first tour through the caves.

"Maji likes to hide out pretty deep, but he doesn't normally leave 'his' room. He's in there praying day and night...you can already smell those weird grass things he burns." He wrinkled up his nose a bit, snorting out a small sneeze which sent a bit more of his loose mane everywhere. He was kind of in sad shape. His mane had thinned along with his body, he was shedding quite a bit, and it seemed his skin was pretty dry from the situation. Now and then he'd stop to itch at his ear or a shoulder.

There was a smell that grew stronger as they moved through the caves. A strangely sweet smell, though smoke was lingering on the tail end of the pleasant aroma.

In the 'prayer room', Maji sat in front of a small burning bowl of the herbs, very very dry by now. His head was lifted up and eyes closed. Now and then his mouth would move in a quiet prayer, or a paw would pass over the whisping smoke. He might or might not have noticed the small group that was approaching him. If he did he made no movement to acknowledge them.

[OOC] Journals [OOC]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff