Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
...Fan?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Star is Vain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:30 pm
I was wondering if anyone knew how I might go about making a paper fan (or some other type of hand fan but I think you know what I mean)? Those fold-y types. I don't really care what the idea is, so long as it's got some sort of frame (whether it be things going through it or like those cheap ones, things on the side). It'd be cool if there was also some way to be able to make the same thing, but with cloth instead of paper...anyways this sounds weird and rushed, but I really don't know how to go about making this sort of thing, sadly.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:50 pm
I've seen fan frames for sale. It's the two end pieces and a stick for each "fold." They're for fabric fans, so it's sounds exactly what you're looking for. I have no idea what you'd look up, but check your local Michaels or Hobby Lobby in the cross-stitch section. You might find some there.  

Catcheen
Crew

The Star is Vain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:18 pm
Catcheen
I've seen fan frames for sale. It's the two end pieces and a stick for each "fold." They're for fabric fans, so it's sounds exactly what you're looking for. I have no idea what you'd look up, but check your local Michaels or Hobby Lobby in the cross-stitch section. You might find some there.

3nodding Thank you. I didn't actually think there'd actually be fan fram things; then again I haven't slept. XD I guess once I get one I'll just need to figure out how to go about getting the fabric on and getting it to stay on. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:55 pm
If you want to go the cheapie route, use popcicle sticks. You can cut them, paint them, glue them together, whatever you want, to make them look like how you want your frame to look. The get a square or rectangle of some paper, paint or draw on it, or use wrapping paper for the design, or whatever. Use your popcicle stick frame to make sure each fold is the right width, no wider than the width of the stick. Glue the edge of the paper to the edges of the fan, and rivet the bottoms of the sticks together. You could also poke holes in the bottoms and use ribbon to tie them together, etc. Just so long as the bottoms meet, tighly enough to hold the fan closed, and yet can move freely against each other, so the fan will open.

Instead of paper, you could use cloth, but I'd recomend using very thin cloth and ironing the snot out of it with lots of starch.  

Keiyla

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff