Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sims Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all things Sims created by Maxis/EA. 

Tags: simulation, god games, story telling, custom, Sims 

Reply Tutorials
House Building Tips

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sugarmuffincrumblecakes

Dapper Consumer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:01 pm
Most of you are saying that you build nice houses, it's just that they turn out ugly, well here are a couple things to keep in mind.

1. Do the decorating of it after you're finished. don't worry what it looks like from the outside because you can always use a tall tree to cover a part up or make the house narrow so it looks thin.

2. mostly a decent house would have a kitchen and three bedrooms. Have a kitchen and a seating area on the first floor, don't worry about cramming everything in on one floor, and then build up the second floor with the bedrooms, maybe across from eachother. It makes things organized and easier.

3. For finishing touches, corner off a couple of corners, angle off a couple of windows, and add trees. (trees are your friend if you have afunky house going on)

4. Inner decorating: make sure it's comfortable. Do'nt make something wild if your sim is a down to earth sim. Mostly I use normal earth tones, with small splashes of bold colours like red and yellow. If you want to make a room pop, then get a low tone of carpet, and a bold colour of wall.

5. I personally like a nice path leading up to your front door. If you're into the forest tyep of house, make sure to add in a dirt path, and maybe add some bushes and flowuers around it, and if you're ina nice Ney York style apartment, It's plain and simple to add a cement walk way. Add some low ground lights and call it your personal catwalk. If you're more into the exotic houses, maybe a decorative stone path that matches the outside colour of your house, but adds colour to your guarden as well.

6.Think about your sim families. How many places do you need to sit if you have one of those family movie nights, or if you're into entertaining? Have a big table isn't always the most roomiest, but getting a smaller table, putting a center piece (like colourful flowers) and having a coffe table infront of the couch makes it casual and fun to eat around. That way sims socialize more.

7.When makeing a kitchen, you don't want it to be full of crap that's going to get into your way. Invest in a garbage disposal for your counter, make sure not to put a sink next to a fridge or a fridge next to a stove, make things spaced out. Windows are good friends in this time.

8.When making a backyard, think about the sim family or the possible family that might be moving in. You might want to make a small pool (large pools tend to overdue the house) with a slide or a diving board, and a romantic pond by the side of the jacoozie to set things going for mom and dad. A stone path around the pool makes the pool a bit more poolish, and lights in the pool definatly light it up for the late night swimming lessons.

9. Curtains only block out the sun, but putting a fancy curtain over a meaningful big piece of artwork or a small little girl's bed could definatly turn some eyes. Also, if you really like a piece of artwork on your walls, then light up the wall by framing it with wall lights.

10. Speaking of lighting, simple ceiling lighting will save time and space. They do much lighting for rooms, and they're barly noticable.

Those are just a couple of tips that I've learned while building houses, you're more then welcome to share your tips or things that you find out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:25 pm
that sounds cool and it seems helpful too, too bad i dont have it for the PC yet. i played it at a friends house for the pc version. i only have it on the gamecube blaugh  

xXDemented_OreoXx

Kitties_at_the_disco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:06 pm
I love making the houses! Mine turn out great (most of the time). Thats cool that you came up with tips for it, a lot of people have trouble making them.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:11 pm
prettyhandsomeawkward;;

*saves*
Those are really good tips.
<3

-----

twisted retro maggot

maggoty tacos
Crew

Friendly Regular

7,650 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200