Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Knitting library

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A poll is a poll
  and a roll is a roll.
  And if we don't get no polls
  Then we don't eat no rolls.
View Results

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:53 am
OK, I'm at the library so much my card is starting to melt. xd But it's a good way to see what books are worth buying, and what ones I only like a pattern or 2 from.

So I'm bored and looking for more knitting books to borrow, as I've perused my (rather large) local collection. I like funky, unusual, or complicated projects, and stash busters. Got any recommendations? mrgreen

Just to give you an example: I purchased the two Magical Knitting books after checking them out of the library. The Harry Potter and DomiKNITrix books are on my wish list. I can't find "Pretty in Punk" anywhere in the 4 counties that participate in interlibrary loans crying but I do have a corset pattern from it.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:08 pm
If I were a better knitter I think I'd like to own Knitting on the Edge by Nicky Epstein http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Edge-Essential-Collection-Decorative/dp/1931543402/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-2779709-4316708?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191452594&sr=1-1
I see she has a few more books of knitted edgings now too.
I'm fascinated by crocheted edgings so I think that knitted edgings would be fun too.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Rune and Raccoon

Questionable Cutesmasher

12,750 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:57 pm
I just bought the new Knit Knit book! Check out the site and see what ya think?!

www.knitknit.net  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:01 pm
Ya know I never thought of going to the library for books....

To the library!!  

Dark Yume

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:24 pm
Dark Yume
Ya know I never thought of going to the library for books....

To the library!!

make sure to see if they do inter-library loans! I can get any available book from any library in Central and Western MA, and I can even search and request online! Even if your local system isn't that convenient, you can usually give them the Title/Author or ISBN and they can request it for you. heart  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:03 am
AriRashkae

make sure to see if they do inter-library loans! I can get any available book from any library in Central and Western MA, and I can even search and request online! Even if your local system isn't that convenient, you can usually give them the Title/Author or ISBN and they can request it for you. heart

I love inter-library loans! At our old library we could get books from three counties and the community college through inter-library loans. Now that we've moved it's just one county that's connected, but it's still pretty neat.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

sparklingbutterfly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:19 am
libraries are the best you can see if they are really dumb books like this one i took out when i was younger for teens.....all that was in it was scarves and werid stuff that i wouldn't give to my worse enemy!  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:50 pm
I love going to the library!
I don't think my library has a lot of knitting books with awesome patterns though... sweatdrop  

Sugar Bandit

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:02 am
Clear Bubble
I love going to the library!
I don't think my library has a lot of knitting books with awesome patterns though... sweatdrop

Most libraries will share books with each other. Some local systems (like Central/Western MA) will let you search and request from your home. Others need you to ask the librarian to make the request. That's when it's helpful to get the ISBN/ISN number from Amazon.com. wink  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:33 am
I bought "Pretty in Punk," wish I hadn't. xp

Great intarsia charts, but that's about it.  

Pirate Dirge

Hygge Agenda

44,725 Points
  • My Feminist Agenda 500
  • Cozy Life 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

shalymar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:36 am
HERE IN ROMANIA WE HAVE A REVUE WITH WORK HAND AND I FOUND GREAT IDEAS , I JUST WORK AT THEM.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:26 pm
I've got just about everything by Elizabeth Zimermann that's in the system waiting at my local to pick up tomorrow.

The rest is in transit. wink

I haven't found KnitKnit or Knitting on the edge, but the system was cranky last week. sweatdrop I should try it now.

EDIT: no Knit Knit, but I did find KotE. Oddly enough, my local is supposed to have one, but it's listed as missing. And my old local had it in their New case, but it was due the end of June ... last year. xp  

AriRashkae

Rune and Raccoon

Questionable Cutesmasher

12,750 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:10 pm
Pirate Dirge
I bought "Pretty in Punk," wish I hadn't. xp

Great intarsia charts, but that's about it.

Yeah. I passed the book up. Anymore..knitting books need to be full of patterns that blow my mind and seem quite difficult to me (like Norah Gaughan's Knitting Nature).  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games