Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Intentional grammar errors in books--thoughts?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

For the gold-hungry...
  Here's a poll for you.
View Results

Dreaming in the Theatre

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:17 pm
The best example would be The Great Gatsby off the top of my head. He sometimes uses run-on sentences and ignores all punctuation, but it gets the point of his sentence across--it gives a feeling of being rushed, of confusion and chaos. However, this may lead to some people believing that the sentence is correct--and then using no grammar in their own works.

Creative license is a biggie in books, yes, but what about the newer writers?

Opinions?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:59 am
As long as this is done within reason I feel that using incorrect grammar in books is okay. As long as they are a fictional novel/story/whatever and it is done to help with development of the plot or character. If people believe that an obvious run-on sentance is correct, then I am going to blame the school system they were in rather then the book they are reading.
If the book is anything non-fiction, then I don't think that grammatical errors are even the slightest bit okay. Nope, nope, nope.  

Kororso

ChibiStarlet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:07 pm
Even for "newbie" writers, I think it can be ok, as long as there's a point to it. But I remember hearing a saying that said something along the lines of, "You have to understand the rules before you can break them." That's not exactly it, but you get the idea. If I make a conscious decision to break a grammatical rule for effect, that's one thing. Ignorance is another. And that's just not cool. wink  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:00 am
Lets not forget 1984 and its sparatic use of "newspeak" words. Not actual grammatical errors but rather the use of words that didnt even exist.

Same goes for Many of Dr. Seuss' creations.  

xboxzombie

Starry Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:38 pm
I was so freakin angry when i saw a mis spelled wod in my favorite history text book. scream  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:29 am
Um....yeah, if I knew what a 'wod' was, I suppose I'd be upset too...  

NanaoThrowsPetals

Fuku Taichou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:20 pm
Aw, The Great Gatsby!!! I remember that book. Quite sad, if I remember correctly. Some authors do intentionally change the grammar in books so that it gives a certain feeling.

I can't really think of any books offhand, but I do recall having seen some weird errors regarding word usage and/or spelling error in some of the Harry Potter books! They're not too frequent, but there were more than one of them, so it was noticeable.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:14 am
I'm pretty sure Fitzgerald used the grammer in his book as a literature device.
I agree with ChibiStarlet, the "mistakes" are ok as long as they are there for a reason. If they really are just mistakes, then that's not good.
I'm pretty sure Fitzgerald intentionally wrote the book the way he did. If he didn't work long and hard, then The Great Gatsby would not be a classic, famous book.  

faeriebread

turtles rock

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:44 pm
A great example would be Mark Twain's "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" and "Huckleberry Finn."

Those are two of my all-time favorite classics.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:08 pm
I guess it's ok if it's dialogue, but otherwise it really bothers me!  

Kitsune Kit Kaguya

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff