Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
"txt tlk" in other languages? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

shannonrwrwrw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:46 pm
French:

MDR. Mort De Rire

Died of Laughter.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:47 am
I've only seen a few German words in "txt tlk", but I only really remember one.

nix - nichts (nothing)  

Neon Communist

nessa7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:27 am
well I guess it's not acceptable, when people replace words with digits I guess that's okay but txt-talk in different languages would be very confusing.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:13 am
Well here in Italy usually some people say
"2 me" ("secondo me") which means "in my opinion"
"tvb" ("ti voglio bene") for "lol"
"cmq" ("comunque") instead of "anyway"
There are lots of short form and sometimes is hard to understand what people think, but I think is the same in every country.
The worst mistake in Italian is when you wrong verbs, we can't stand it, in our language it sounds hateful.  

giomuffin

etoosa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:39 pm
XxAngelxxOfxxDarknessxX
I've only seen a few German words in "txt tlk", but I only really remember one.

nix - nichts (nothing)

I've only seen this once or twice, but I've seen quite a few more German ones.

Also, I've seen lots of French ones thanks to a French friend of mine who moved to California (where I live).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:09 pm
In Chinese there's another set of characters: simplified, as opposed to traditional. That's the closest analogy for txt tlk that I can think of. However, the idea of simplified characters seems less lazy than txt tlk; Chinese characters can be complex, and time-consuming to write.  

inadequate_angel

xstarrynight61

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:29 am
In French PI = Pas interessante, not interested. Theres a bunch more that I just can't remember.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:50 pm
Shigures Editor

I read somewhere that sometimes Japanese people use numbers in place of words in text messaging (for example, "ni", the Japanese word for "two", is replaced by the number 2). Would that count?
Yeah, I've heard about that, as well. Kind of interesting, if you ask me. I've never heard it as a form of "txt tlk," though...  

Kairi_12

eJayPierre

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:27 pm
A lot of formerly "non-English" features in chat rooms and text speak have actually spread and are now in widespread use. Examples I can think of are the smilies that look like ^^; and the like - these, as far as I am aware, are Japanese in Origin, whereas our Western smilies are usually "sideways".

Also, using the word "hihihihihi" for laughing is something I didn't see for a long time and the first person I saw use it was Scandinavian in origin. I don't know if the "word" was Scandinavian itself, but I've seen it in more widespread use now.

I often wonder about this. When learning a new language, you're often a lot more strict about learning grammar and the "correct" words than when you're using your mother tongue, so it feels odd to think that there are people who use these languages "incorrectly" just like people use English "incorrectly".  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:50 pm
I've seen a little Spanish txt-tlk, but I don't think it's quite as rampant as in English. Though, in Spanish a lot of words are spelled exactly like they sound, so it's hard to shorten them further. I have seen "h" dropped a lot, though, and "que" shortened to "k," for example.

"k ora es"
"es la 1"
"t qre vnr aqui"
"clro"

This is probably the worst I've seen. Then again, I haven't seen a lot. Oh, but they leave off the tildes. So many lost tildes... so many accent marks that will never see the light of day...  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:53 pm
MyOwnBestCritic
I've seen a little Spanish txt-tlk, but I don't think it's quite as rampant as in English. Though, in Spanish a lot of words are spelled exactly like they sound, so it's hard to shorten them further. I have seen "h" dropped a lot, though, and "que" shortened to "k," for example.

"k ora es"
"es la 1"
"t qre vnr aqui"
"clro"

This is probably the worst I've seen. Then again, I haven't seen a lot. Oh, but they leave off the tildes. So many lost tildes... so many accent marks that will never see the light of day...
I could understand those. I was rather surprised...  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff