Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
New trend for "txt tlk" >_<

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Stormy Snuggles

3,450 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:49 pm
Of all places I saw this sadly in general discussion. Not as bad if it was in the ED forum but still... I see the "ILU" around alot lately though I never seen it before. I'm thinking I might be late to this but it's sure new to me.

I didn't know what it mean for a minute. Then I realize it mean I love you. Like it is so damn hard to write that. rolleyes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:19 am
"ILU" has been around for a while, I think. At least, I remember hearing it a lot from random people who have sent me instant messages in the past. I questioned one person, to which he responded "It means I like you!" I didn't really want to hear terms of endearment through "txt", let alone from someone I barely knew. D:

I think it's just now becoming more popular since the "txting" generation is spreading like the plague.  

Keren

Fuku Taichou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:17 pm
"ILU" seems so shallow. If you can't even say the words to someone, then that's a sign that you're not ready to say it!!! (I'm saying "you" in a general sense, and not referring to anyone in this thread.)

I know sometimes people don't really want to tell everyone about their feelings for another person, so they'll have little "inside" things, like "4.13" in their profiles or something, referring to a special date or meaning... So in a sense, "ILU" can mean the same thing. I certainly wouldn't want someone to write that to me or say it to me if they truly meant it.

I'm okay generally with the older "txt talk." I don't mind "gg" or "ttyl" but I do mind, "2" instead of "to."

Keren's right, "ILU" or "ILY" has been around for a while, but it's become more popular recently. I hadn't really seen it around too much until a few months ago. Aside from it annoying me because it's the lazy way out, it also bugs me because everyone just says they love everyone. It seems to shallow!! This is something that has bothered me since high school, when girls would write "Love always" to strangers. I remember this man donated to our class once, and we gave him a thank you card. Lots of girls wrote "Love" or "Love always." I don't think people realized that signing your name that way actually used to mean something.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:46 pm
Well what can we do about it. I rather see that spread around then "I hate you" or IHU in that case or something. Keep the love going by all means but they could have taken another approach. sweatdrop  

Stormy Snuggles

3,450 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Team Edward 100

Keren

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:35 am
True enough. heart

Although, Fuku does have a point about it seeming shallow. Love has become a vague range of meanings. It used to bother me a lot when females would sign letters with "Love Always" and then break up with the boy a day/week/month later. I guess it just gives a false sense of what love truly is underneath the word.

It doesn't really bother me anymore. I've come to the point of ignoring it and letting people talk how they want to talk with each other. When they direct it at me is something else entirely. D:  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:17 pm
I actually haven't heard "ILU" in a long time. I only see I heart U. Maybe where I live, people are weird.  

kuro xx mae

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff