Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Newest Project [update]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Knitting Kninjas
  YES!!!
View Results

teaneko

Original Gaian

30,575 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:54 pm
Update: Done as of the 22nd

User Image

Here I go, this is the first of two hand warmers. Wish me luck!

User Image

User Image  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:30 pm
I've started crocheting "rattle eggs" for my ferrets again. I crochet over bead-filled plastic Easter eggs. They're great toys for ferrets and cats. I still have a small stash of beads and eggs and if I can crochet enough I'll send some to the shelter where we adopted 3 of our 4 ferrets.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

teaneko

Original Gaian

30,575 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:51 pm
O_O Oh my god, that sounds wonderful! What a great idea! I must tell others if you don't mind, not claiming the idea of my own of course.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:54 pm
Oh- Update on my hand warmers:

I'm done with one of the hand warmers thumb hole and have about an inch left. Then it's off to do the second one! I'm so excited!!! Grey is my favorite color, and it kinda matches my Sammy's fur.

teaneko

Original Gaian

30,575 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cool Cat 500

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:36 am
teaneko
O_O Oh my god, that sounds wonderful! What a great idea! I must tell others if you don't mind, not claiming the idea of my own of course.

The original idea isn't mine either. I'd heard about them and looked them up on line. I didn't like the ones I saw and I thought I could do better. The shelter mom at the shelter we adopted ferrets from said she liked mine better than the others she'd seen. She said that mine looked safer for the animals.
I use a thick cotton thread(speed cro-sheen) and single crochet rather tightly around the eggs so they can't come apart and spill their contents. I didn't want to use acrylic yarn because the acrylic can't be digested. I've thrown eggs from my last batch in the washing machine and they come out fine. I'm worried about the plastic egg melting in the heat of the dryer so I air dry them.
No worries about using my ideas for these eggs. I think that all animals should have safe toys to play with and if you can diy them cheaply, that's even better. Donate a few to a local animal shelter and I'll consider my time explaining things well spent.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:02 am
Those handwarmers look really fantastic.
I've been looking for a pattern....Could I possibly have yours? xD

Oh, and is that yarn Lion Brand?
There's one kind of LB yarn that I really like, and my favourite of it is the gray.
I think it's Wool-Ease or something.
Ohwell. It doesn't feel bad, and it's really warm.
I want some soooo bad right now. xD  

Rawr 112

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:48 am
Cute handwarmers.

I've been sewing myself up a nice winter skirt. It's made from one big piece, of fabric, with little insets to give it "swoosh" at the bottom. I have one seam left, the closure, and the top hem to do. I should finish it by Friday.

I also started knitting at hat for my dad for Christmas. I hate working brim-up, so I experimented, starting in the center like I do for crochet, and so far it has worked wonderfully. I"m almost ready to start the ribbing for the brim. My only complaint is that the very center is a little lacy from the increases, so he may not want to wear it (he only wears hats when it's really, really cold out, and lace kind of defeats the purpose. sweatdrop ).  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:17 am
I love your hand warmers. I'm going to be inspired by you and try one for myself. Thanx  

Little Skana

Flip-Flopper

44,900 Points
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Treat Hunter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Task Accomplished 100

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:47 am
I don't usually necro threads, but this is where I posted about my egg toys and I finally have a picture of them to post.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21807573@N06/2113413675/
I also put them up on Ravelry if you care to look, user name ForestGreen.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games