yes I do
  No I don't
  Does being on Gaia all the time count?
  gold...
View Results

Garret Issacs
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:14 am
So I can only help but assume some of you might have a job or have had one at some point in the past and I got thinking. what kind of things did you do in your job and what tools did you use?

Well in my job though I don't have pictures of everything I can tell you I use a LOT of tools. I am planning on going into the millwright field, for those of you who don't know what one is a millwright is a trades person who's job is to maintain heavy and light machinery and fix it when it's broken. essentially we are a jack of all trades, Millwrights can do just about anything when it comes to the trade field of the industry area. Now yes it can be a bit dirty at times it is well worth it.

if I can make it through my pre-apprenticeship and my apprenticeship I will be making loads of money, and though I'm not in this for the money it is a nice upside. Currently I'm in my 10th week of my pre-apprenticeship and though I'm not getting paid yet it is considered a real job. it counts towards my hours and collage learning. (our modules are collage level material.)

My plan is to get through both parts of my apprenticeship and get into this field and depending on how my future goes relationship wise I'll either just save my money or I'll share my life with someone that aside there's a lot to this trade, like the tools.

This first picture is just of my tool box, now to point out at the time I was missing a full combination wrench set (Big Pink Rollout case) in it you can see almost all the hand tools I have to work with.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

In this second shot shows the first half of my tools. from the top left to the bottom right.

Two pairs of safety glasses, one full black rimmed and one clear open rimmed.

one Tape measure that reads in: inches, centimeters, 16ths and 8ths of an inch.

the three blue cased tools from left to right are: Thread indicator imperial, thread indicator metric and a spacer.

a pair of pliers and needle nose pliers and one switch open box cutter.

an adjustable wrench two other pliers in variation form (can't remember their name exactly at the moment.

A pair of wire cutters and two allen key sets in both imperial and metric and finally a small set piping cutter. (thing works wonders)

So far I've had a chance to use just about every tool in that list and dam are they well worth what I paid for them. in the second picture shows what is left in the top shelf that wouldn't fit into that first picture.

once again from top left to bottom right.

top left being my awesome pen, that thing marks just about ANYTHING even cold rolled metal. next to it you'll see a small pointy metal piece with a few percise indents in it. that is used to check the points on certain things or to check certain angles (I don't remember it's actual name because I have yet to use this one).

the little case next to it has whats called a edge finder. you place it into a milling machine and use it to find a specific area on a work piece for drilling. next to that you'll see two other pencil like things, these are a p***k punch and a center punch used for making small holes in the workpiece.

the two above it the one that looks like a dial and the one above it.
The Dial indicator is used to tell how level something is and is frequently used to set up a milling machine where's the other one is to check how accurate your degrees are.

the large pencil like thing on the far left is called a scriber, it's used to mark metal and things like it, very sharp indeed. the next four things are all the same thing just used in diffrent ways, they are to find out if your measurements are correct. and of course the last two things here are the rules (or rulers as everyone knows them).

now for the last picture, this is what I keep in the bottom of my toolbox. there's a bit there but this is an easy list so keeping in the tradition of top left to bottom right here we go:

alright the first case in the top left you see has whats called a square set, these all have their individual uses and so far have proven themselves to be very handy. the small thing next to it which you can't see too well is a magnetic base with a small device on it for use with certain other tools like the dial gage.

there are two hammers, the yellow and black one is called a peen hammer and the other one is a soft faced deadblow hammer. just below them is an edge set, it's used to make sure your edges are true to the dimensions required.

the two cases next to it are as follows: the small blue on is called a vernier micormeter, these things are very accurate to one thou of a mm. the other bigger one is a vernier calipere also very accurate to one thou of a mm.

You can clearly see my work gloves there as well and next to that is my square, the thing that looks like a small metal L. The socket set below it is a metric and the one next to it is imperial.

and that wrench set is my own personal one, the one I got is about five times better (and bigger) as an example my 38ths is the lenght of my hand where's my 1 14 is the length of my forearm and hand.

So thats my job and tools in a nutshell so what do you do and use? and feel free to ask questions about my job I have a lot of information.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:50 am
Umm...i am a cashier the only thing i need it http://www.kepos.co.uk/images/samsung/ER380LG.jpg is the cash register lol  

22Tsuji22

Lady Bern

Aekea Pirate

11,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:01 am
I'm a pastry chef. I work with a basic kitchenaid mixer, to a huge floor mixer, a large variety of knives, pans, plates, cakes, desserts, cookies, fruits, and breads.

The biggest downside to my job is my location in the kitchen (near the seafood and poultry sink- it's horrible because some people who use it don't clean it that well and it reeks!) the fact that I have no vent system around me so I'm surrounded by flies.

And it's sweets so I have to have the foresight to make a load extra because the people I work with likes to '"try" what I bake.

I'm starting to hate my job because they are cutting our hours and the executive chef is an a*****e. Everyone else is nice.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:26 am
Wows! That is cool! ...i want bakery stuff now...hmm if i leave early i can stop by the bakery on the way home....lol i just found chocolate! lol i think i might be good ^^ its really good too!  

22Tsuji22

Gunr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:06 pm
I am only a lowly cashier, but I do get to use lots of tools, such as a cash register, inkstamps, pen, scissors, boxcutting knife, power screwdriver, laser scanner, tape, paperclips, stapler, Verifone system, cart, shopping basket, highlighter, white-out, paper towels, magnet thing for opening magnetically locked boxes, spiderwraps, signholders, and, my favorite, paper shuriken.  
Team Aekea Welcome

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games