Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Douglas Adams R.I.P.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Greatest writer ever?
  Eh, he could have been better.
  I'm going to stab whoever chooses the top option...
  Hell yes!
View Results

Jacked in the Box II

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:03 pm
Any of his fans out there?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:01 pm
I bet they're running amok in the event forum!  

das Huhn des Meeres

H1F1v3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:38 am
Me! Me! Me!!! Oh, I know the answer! 42! Marvin rules! Yay! Don't ask, but I just had my coffee. wink  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:50 am
I really liked the first couple of books in the "Hitchhiker's" series. His writing style is lovely. He's mentioned in Dawkins' "The God Delusion", which is a favourite of mine, as a friend of Dawkins himself before he died. His quotes in there made me admire him more than I had before.  

hank the chog fan

Silvermaiden

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:09 pm
When did he die??  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:03 pm
I adore Douglas Adams' work. A friend gave me the entire Hitchhiker's series, and I could not stop reading it. I was actually upset when it ended! Douglas Adams was a Science-Fiction genius, and deserves to be remembered as such.

If there's anyone here who hasn't read it yet, read The Salmon of Doubt. It is wonderful.  

Deanta in Eireann

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:28 pm
?

Who?

I don't think I've read any of his books...  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:15 am
Doppelgaanger
?

Who?

I don't think I've read any of his books...

Then you've probably heard of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? He wrote the original.  

Deanta in Eireann

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:38 pm
I didn't know he was dead! He was brilliant. "Adams died of a heart attack at the age of 49 on 11 May 2001, during the idle of his regular workout at a private gym in Montecito, California" cry  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:24 pm
I read the novelization of his computer game "Starship Titanic." It was written by Monty Python rofl member Terry Jones who played several voices on the game. I loved heart it, and I'm hoping to read his Hitchhikers' Guide series sometime.

PS: The original 1981 BBC series of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is much better cool than the 2005 movie. Well, that's my opinion anyway.  

Kuo51

Fionnabhair Aoife

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:22 pm
Kuo51
I read the novelization of his computer game "Starship Titanic." It was written by Monty Python rofl member Terry Jones who played several voices on the game. I loved heart it, and I'm hoping to read his Hitchhikers' Guide series sometime.

PS: The original 1981 BBC series of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is much better cool than the 2005 movie. Well, that's my opinion anyway.

Douglas Adams's writing is brilliant. 3nodding I've read all of the Hitchhiker books, including The Salmon of Doubt. I've also read Dirk Gently's Detective Agency and The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

And I came across Starship Titanic sometime earlier this year and enjoyed it immensely. XD It wasn't until I read the introduction that I realized it was written by one of the Monty Python gang. razz I was a bit chagrined...I'm a big Python fan as well. (But then, it also took me a long time to figure out that Nearly Headless Nick in the Harry Potter movies was John Cleese >.< and I remember watching something recently where my dad pointed out that one of the voices was him too. Pity I can't remember what it was.......but I digress razz )

And I agree with you completely: The BBC series is better than the movie. I was in fact bothered by the character changes I saw in the new movie...and I just liked the acting in the series better, it just fit the story more and fit the characters better as well. But that's just my opinion razz

Edit: And I actually went and looked it up, becase I knew it would bug me if I couldn't remember. XD The movie was Shrek 2, where John Cleese voices the part of King Harold.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:16 pm
emo I was very sad when I heard that Douglas Adams died.

He's actually one of my favourite writes and I adore his Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy series. domokun

By far one of my best inspirations to use very big words. 3nodding

R.I.P!!!  

Toxicated Cuppycakes

Tipsy Lunatic

6,800 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100

Hersheydudette

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:43 am
I read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. 3nodding
It was a pretty good book, but I'm not much of a sci-fi person.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games