Welcome to Gaia! ::

Super-Happy-Fun-Time Guild

Back to Guilds

A fun place to make both friends and gold. 

Tags: giveaway, game, gold, contest, free 

Reply Contests, Giveaways, and General Chat
About The Filtered Word O' DOOM

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Agree with the filter?
  Hellz no!
  Sure
  Meh, don't care.
View Results

- S i r - D e m i -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:00 pm
I'm not here to rant or rave about how stupid it is. I'm just saying this much; its a only a word, I can't believe people are getting upset over this. Everybody is entitled to an opinion, this is true, but I firmly believe the admins are doing this in regards to the younger crowd on Gaia, which by the way makes up a very large portion of the site.

I just want to have a rational talk about it. Like I said, everybody is entitled to an opinion.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:07 am
I can understand and agree with the intentions behind it, but I don't agree that it was the right thing to do, for several reasons.

For one, it was way easy to get around that particular filter. There are a number of alternate terms that one could use. That alone decreased the effectiveness of the filter.

Second, pretending it's not there doesn't make it go away. The ***** aren't going to advertise themselves as such; if anything, they pretend to be in the age group of their victims - one of their peers. They aren't going to put "child raping" as one of their interest tags or advertise for a ***** where they can coordinate attacks or something. 0.o So filtering the word would do nothing to throw a monkey wrench into the proceedings, as far as that goes.

Third, Gaia's always been hailed as a haven of free speech. In one of my college classes, we talked about what was, legally, free speech - it covers pretty much everything except for hate speech, obscenities, slander, and libel. The same thing has always been true for Gaia - we can cuss as much as we want and say pretty much what we want to, as long as we're not flaming, harassing, or being sexually explicit.

(*wonders for a moment whether graphically violent speech, like a description in a war RP, would be picked up by the mods*)

Anyway, by putting in the filter, they limited that free speech. Yeah, it was only one word, and it didn't bother me because I don't use that word often (and like I said, there are many ways around it), but the implications of the filter kind of wowed me (and not in a good way) because it opened a door for more kinds of admin oppression, from forced blanket filtering like I hear Neopets has, to taking away our rights to criticize the admins or something. I know it's their site and they can do what they want with it, but still, the implications were there. If they were willing to start taking away our freedom of speech for something that was pointless (as I saw the filter), even just a tiny bit, who knows when it would stop?

Paranoia? Probably. But it got my hackles up sweatdrop I didn't go off on the admins for this filter, but if it were to continue in the future, then I definitely would. I cherish my freedom to go verbally flying off the handle once in a while wink

Like someone or another said, "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll fight to the death to defend your right to say it." (that's probably misquoted a bit, but y'all get the idea ^.^)

Lastly, it would seem that the admins came to the same or similar conclusions, as the filter seems to be off. 3nodding  

Sheer_Immortal

Versatile Vampire

24,125 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350

Goddess of Pentacles

3,600 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:43 am
heart I know for a fact there are alot of youngsters here and what are they doing? They are playing, dressing up, and playing some more. I am for the filtering to protect these kids. heart heart heart

But those that want to do harm will always find a way.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:30 am
Sheer_Immortal
I can understand and agree with the intentions behind it, but I don't agree that it was the right thing to do, for several reasons.

For one, it was way easy to get around that particular filter. There are a number of alternate terms that one could use. That alone decreased the effectiveness of the filter.

Second, pretending it's not there doesn't make it go away. The ***** aren't going to advertise themselves as such; if anything, they pretend to be in the age group of their victims - one of their peers. They aren't going to put "child raping" as one of their interest tags or advertise for a ***** where they can coordinate attacks or something. 0.o So filtering the word would do nothing to throw a monkey wrench into the proceedings, as far as that goes.

Third, Gaia's always been hailed as a haven of free speech. In one of my college classes, we talked about what was, legally, free speech - it covers pretty much everything except for hate speech, obscenities, slander, and libel. The same thing has always been true for Gaia - we can cuss as much as we want and say pretty much what we want to, as long as we're not flaming, harassing, or being sexually explicit.

(*wonders for a moment whether graphically violent speech, like a description in a war RP, would be picked up by the mods*)

Anyway, by putting in the filter, they limited that free speech. Yeah, it was only one word, and it didn't bother me because I don't use that word often (and like I said, there are many ways around it), but the implications of the filter kind of wowed me (and not in a good way) because it opened a door for more kinds of admin oppression, from forced blanket filtering like I hear Neopets has, to taking away our rights to criticize the admins or something. I know it's their site and they can do what they want with it, but still, the implications were there. If they were willing to start taking away our freedom of speech for something that was pointless (as I saw the filter), even just a tiny bit, who knows when it would stop?

Paranoia? Probably. But it got my hackles up sweatdrop I didn't go off on the admins for this filter, but if it were to continue in the future, then I definitely would. I cherish my freedom to go verbally flying off the handle once in a while wink

Like someone or another said, "I may not agree with what you say, but I'll fight to the death to defend your right to say it." (that's probably misquoted a bit, but y'all get the idea ^.^)

Lastly, it would seem that the admins came to the same or similar conclusions, as the filter seems to be off. 3nodding

wow... I completely agree with every one of your points. I dont think your paranoid at all.. .in fact I find it completely truthfull. I myself like to rant aand rave once in a while and a filter would stop that. as I said to my teacher one day "Writing is the midol to my craps. it doesnt get rid of the problem, but it sure as hell subsides the pain" What I mean by that is when I write I am able to relieve my aches and pains in my own life and heart to be able to express myself more freely and take in the world around me without too much angered and heated judgement. If i have no one to rant and rave to I may end up in a pissy mood for the rest of my day. Though, knowing me, Id write it down then read it for my writing class. Since its all Jr. And seniors we are allowed to have questionable language in our writing even though we are in school XDD  

Vampiress Alexandria

Contests, Giveaways, and General Chat

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff