Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

chee wolf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:32 pm
Do you know any ones?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:38 pm
I'd suggest ecclectic paganism. General nature worship, follow the sabbats and esbats, and read up on other religions, and take out what you like. That way, if you find something that really clicks, you can take that path  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:47 pm
I'm not sure, although the Hellenic tradition contains sub-"cults" for specific deities, such as Hecate, so one might be devouted to Gaia. That is, if you connect through the Greek pantheon... and if I have my information correct.

Wicca is usually considered like that; however, it originally looks for balance between matters, just not one thing.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:09 am
thank you all. where would i find a good site or book about these subjects?  

chee wolf

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:49 am
chee_wolf
thank you all. where would i find a good site or book about these subjects?
For general, older faiths, I'd suggest Encyclopedia Mythica. For Wicca, I recommend reading both Why Wiccans Suck and Wicca: For the Rest of Us (and The Ranting Witches if you really get into it). Phoenixfire Lune Soleil has a website, as well, that may also be of use.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:02 am
Or pick up a copy of Wicca for the solitary practicioner, by Scott Cunningham  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

chee wolf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:07 pm
thanks yall  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:34 am
You might also look into Shamaism, and a druidic path, as both of these carry a more nature based root than many Neo-Pagan paths.  

The Bookwyrm
Crew

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:31 am
Gypsy Blue
You might also look into Shamaism, and a druidic path, as both of these carry a more nature based root than many Neo-Pagan paths.

Yes, and Kemetic religion also views the forces of nature as manifestations of the gods- some Kemetics joke that Nature is just another way of spelling Netjer (our word for god, and we have several different ways of rendering the term in computer type). In fact, the vast majority of the Pagan religions maintain a strong bond between nature and divinity, so you have many options to chose from. You might want to think about what you need from a religion besides it being associated with nature.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:06 pm
I wish there was a more focused tradition which is nature-based. I know that's what I want to ultimately practice, but there's not much you can do but pull from lots of different sources. It was my understanding that if you dare call yourself a Druid nowadays people give you the 'fluffy' look. Makes me wish there was a modern revival of non-celtic-based Druids... Druids more like how they are represented in modern role-playing games.  

Starlock
Crew

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:12 pm
Starlock
Makes me wish there was a modern revival of non-celtic-based Druids... Druids more like how they are represented in modern role-playing games.

I'd call the RPG druids fluffy, since they're a complete creation more of imagination than of anything definate. The Celts were the original Druids; if any Druidic system deserves to be out there, it's one based on that, IMO. I've never seen anyone called fluffy for being a modern Druid; in fact, it's a growing group.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:57 pm
Gypsy Blue
I'd call the RPG druids fluffy, since they're a complete creation more of imagination than of anything definate. The Celts were the original Druids; if any Druidic system deserves to be out there, it's one based on that, IMO. I've never seen anyone called fluffy for being a modern Druid; in fact, it's a growing group.

*nods* From what I've heard, it takes quite a lot of study to be a Druid- they've a rigorous training program. Definitely non-fluffy, if it's done the proper way. Probably the reason why Starlock gets the impression that people think it's fluffy is because anyone who has not undergone that training (and it's fairly obvious to most people with any familiarity in the area), and yet claims to be a "Druid" anyway, is usually fluff. And many people just don't want to put that much effort into it. Sign up with Ar nDraiocht Fein, though, and they'll start you off right.  

WebenBanu

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:15 pm
Hence I just call myself Pagan and avoid any other labels. People get so picky, sometimes I think it's just sad. Sometimes I don't think it matters how much you study, if you don't study with the 'right' people some will brush you off as a ninny fluffy. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:34 pm
Starlock
Sometimes I don't think it matters how much you study, if you don't study with the 'right' people some will brush you off as a ninny fluffy. xd

Well, you don't study for other people.^_^' You study so that you know what the hell you're doing- it shows respect for your path, yourself, and your gods. Incidentally, the reason why "fluffy" people are so despised within the Pagan community is because their resistance to actually learning about their chosen religion demonstrates a lack of respect for all three. But simply to avoid the title of "fluffy" is the wrong reason to study.^_^ You want to pick out a good place to train, reputable sources to use, etc. in order to know the tools which are available to you and how to use them. What other people say can point you toward which sources are reputable, when you're starting out. But in the end, the best and most important way to tell what's bunk and what's solid is the experience of having read widely and learned a lot about your subject. When you've read from many sources (preferably ones with academic backing), you know what's repeated across the board, what is modern invention, why those inventions were made up and/or how they were derived, why/how/if they're useful as a tool anyway, and where you stand on the issue.^_^

If you don't study, you don't really know anything and have nothing to work with. Personal discretion is only functional when it's fed.  

WebenBanu

Braeden_attwood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:25 pm
i suggest druidism: www.druidcircle.net  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out