Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:58 pm
I've been considering getting a 1903 for a while. I shot one once, and I really did like the gun. If I remember, it had a reasonably small kick for a gun of its caliber, and was a fun gun to shoot. Anybody have any thoughts on it? I've got a while to choose... CMP is out of stock until 1/09.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:03 am
Best bet is gun shows or other such events, possibly gun stores.

There is a guy near me selling one for 610 dollars, I'll likely buy it.  

Old Lord Brocktree

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:38 pm
At just shy of 9 pounds, it's a very well balanced production rifle. And the 30-06 is a fine round for hunting large animals. A nice gun to have in your collection.

Look for a M1903A1 or earlier. You'll pay for the A4 sniper variant. Collectors have driven up the price of unique models of all guns.

Oh, and I saw a reissue of a so-called "Tanker" model M1 Garand last time I was buying some ammo at my favorite store. The repo was over $1600. Nice if you have the money.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:09 pm
Ugh, all they did was likely cut the barrel down and shorten the stock. That's what alot will do.  

Old Lord Brocktree

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:16 pm
Floyd
Look for a M1903A1 or earlier. You'll pay for the A4 sniper variant. Collectors have driven up the price of unique models of all guns.
All CMP sells are A1s and A3s. And I think I could get one in good condition for reasonably cheap. They're good like that... they sell real 1903s, too. Decommissioned war rifles.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:58 pm
Old Lord Brocktree
Best bet is gun shows or other such events, possibly gun stores.

There is a guy near me selling one for 610 dollars, I'll likely buy it.
There's a guy online who can't seem to sell his... it's been up for weeks at $750. Is that an average price, or is it too high? Maybe I should offer him $700 for it...  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:22 pm
Fresnel
There's a guy online who can't seem to sell his... it's been up for weeks at $750. Is that an average price, or is it too high? Maybe I should offer him $700 for it...

Just keep in mind the condition of the rifle matters a lot. Besides the accessories that may or may not be included, the overall wear of the action, barrel and stock make or break the price point it can sell for.

Just be damn sure to get a return guarantee or have an expert on that specific rifle go over it with a fine tooth comb for that kind of money.

One significant spot of rust anywhere on the metal is grounds for a thumbs down.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:46 pm
I had a guy over at the gun shows that I know, he had a match rifle used for precision shooting for the army, and he wanted 1700 for his, had it for years, but as soon as he raised the price to 3400, he sold it imediately.

Blows my mind. It was in mint condition too.  

Old Lord Brocktree

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:11 pm
Floyd
Just be damn sure to get a return guarantee or have an expert on that specific rifle go over it with a fine tooth comb for that kind of money.
So I'm guessing that price is a bit high...?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:42 am
Fresnel
Floyd

Considering the number of brand new Mauser action based bolt action rifles on the market today, I would consider $700 very high for a used military surplus bolt action rifle, no matter how good it is.

When I was in my late teens, I purchased a post WWII FN built Mauser 98 export model in 30-06 for under $100. Granted it was beat up, but it was a fine shooter as was.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Old Lord Brocktree

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:22 am
Floyd
Fresnel
Floyd

Considering the number of brand new Mauser action based bolt action rifles on the market today, I would consider $700 very high for a used military surplus bolt action rifle, no matter how good it is.

When I was in my late teens, I purchased a post WWII FN built Mauser 98 export model in 30-06 for under $100. Granted it was beat up, but it was a fine shooter as was.

Those are Mauser rifles, not an america made springfield. They are hard to find anymore, and specially the original 1903s.

100 is normal for an Enfield, mosin nagant, or yugo mauser.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:07 am
Point taken, Brocktree.

But my point stands. Scarcity in a surplus military rifle is no excuse for jacking up the price, especially when a nice brand new stainless steel bolt action with scope can be had for around $500 these days.

The Remington Model 700 series comes to mind. Given the fact that the US Marines still use modified Remingtons as sniper rifles makes this a good choice for me.

I might pay big for a ultra rare item like a real M1 Garand tanker model with a military issue scope, but I'll be damned if I recommend putting out good money for a gun that's been through the grinder.  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Old Lord Brocktree

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:24 am
Well you aren't a true collector, so it's not expected for you to understand it.

there's a fever that collectors get, they want special things.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:26 pm
Old Lord Brocktree
I saw someone at a gun show selling an Enfield for, like, $550. I laughed at him... it wasn't even one of the rare ones, nor was it in particularly good condition.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Old Lord Brocktree

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:41 pm
Fresnel
Old Lord Brocktree
I saw someone at a gun show selling an Enfield for, like, $550. I laughed at him... it wasn't even one of the rare ones, nor was it in particularly good condition.

you see stupid people like that everywhere. the onyl way it'd be stupider is if someone bought it, which is very likely  
Buying and Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games