Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Starting a Knitting for Charity Club and need some help!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MissyRhae

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:08 am
I am starting a club at my college that is going to be knitting and crocheting for charity. I was wondering if anyone knew of any businesses or organizations that would be willing to donate yarn for such a club or have donated in the past.

The links that were stickied are great and I was wondering if anyone else had any other ideas for projects, patterns, or supplies as the school gives us a very limited budget to start out with.

Thank you very much!  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:07 pm
If you have a project linus nearby, i know the one by us collects yarns and fabric that they hand out to people who knit, crochet and sew. If theres one near you, i'm sure they'd be more then happy to give you guys the yarn to make blankets for them.

What i would do is contact the charities themselves and local yarn stores, see what they have to say. Some yarn stores collect half skeins for charity purposes.

Also, if you do some fund raising, check good will for yarn, sometimes they have alot. Also, you can look into knitpicks.com, elann.com, ebay, and other places that sell yarn cheaper.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:40 am
Contact local 4-H, girl scout, and boy scout groups, as well as businesses for donations.

Ask members to donate stash yarn they don't want.

If your school has a textiles/fashion department, check with them. They may have leftovers they can't use, or may help you with purchasing new materials.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:54 pm
There's a knitting club at my school, and the president is part of a local knitting club at a coffee shop.

They've donated a bunch of yarn and needles, but other than that, I know most members have been willing to put forth their own money and buy it themselves.

I'd ask locally owned (not big chain) stores if they'd like to donate any.  

Mildred Pierce

The Star is Vain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:32 pm
My library has a knitting group, and the library was able to put notices in its newsletters and stuff about it, asking for donations of supplies, and that's worked really well, just by advertising that it's there. Also, just recently, JoAnn's gave the library a BUNCH, as in bags upon bags, of yarn that didn't sell and they were going to throw away, but they donated it instead. So I think it would definitely be a good idea to ask any yarn or craft stores in your area if they could donate some supplies for charity or if the yarn doesn't sell, instead of throwing it away or something.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games