Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Witch. Do YOU find that word offensive? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

choose.
  Wiccan.
  Witch.
View Results

Korealia

Distinct Seeker

3,350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:35 am
Foxmore
the one in the Wicca for the Rest of Us one is missing a couple lines... but it's not that big of a deal is it

it is if you understand what it is. it's a 'teaching poem'. twisted  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:24 pm
I actually prefer witch, since I'm not actually Wiccan. I only claim it from time to time among Wiccans because some of them get really huffy. Plus I'm part of an eclectic Wiccan church. So it's not entirely a false label. But deep down, I feel more connected to the cunning folk and hedge-witches of old.  

AiRune

hyacinth hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:54 am
I am not offended by the term at all. In fact, among those who specifically follow Gerald Gardner's teachings (like my father-in-law), it is a mark of respect and of distinction to earn the title. Also, just as an aside, it does refer to both men and women.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:00 am
personally im not offended, but i prefer to go by wiccan because it doesnt carry all the negative connotations that the word witch does. i would only be offended by the word witch if someone was using it as an insult like saying "you witch" but meaning it in a rude way, as if what i am is bad or evil (as many people of other religions seem to think)  

Dellanora

Arc En Licorne

5,300 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:02 pm
im really dont get offended about it. i call myself a witch all the time i believe that witches and wiccans are the same thing but u dont have to be wiccan to be a witch and if ur wiccan u might not be a witch. to be honest i really think that the only way it would be offensive is if u dont consider urself a witch but i'm good with any term because im actually both wiccan and a witch  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:28 pm
xXOnYx MoOnXx
i believe that witches and wiccans are the same thing but u dont have to be wiccan to be a witch and if ur wiccan u might not be a witch.

If witches and Wiccans are the same thing, how is it possible to be one and not the other?

They're not the same thing. Wicca is a religion. Witchcraft is not. All Wiccans are witches.

Quote:
but i'm good with any term because im actually both wiccan and a witch

Onyx, you ahve been questioned several times on this issue. If you are indeed a Wiccan, for our satisfaction, please provide the name of your coven, your tradition and your lineage. If you do not have these things, please understand that you are not a Wiccan. If this fact confuses, offends or upsets you, please ask questions on the matter so that we can put your mind at ease.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:29 pm
xXOnYx MoOnXx
i believe that witches and wiccans are the same thing

Too bad.
Thankfully your beliefs don't dictate the English language.
Quote:
but u dont have to be wiccan to be a witch

This is correct. I think this may be the only correct thing in your whole post.
Quote:
and if ur wiccan u might not be a witch.

Yes, if one is Wiccan, they ARE a witch. Hence Wicca being a witchcult.
Quote:
but i'm good with any term because im actually both wiccan and a witch

You are not a Wiccan. Stop lying.
Claiming to be Wiccan doesn't make you more "speshul" or give you anymore clout. Really, it makes you look rather uneducated as there have been multiple attempts by now to correct you on the matter.

Why are you here? It doesn't seem to be to learn anything or discuss with anybody - it seems any and every attempt at either one go ignored by you. If all you want is an ego boost, perhaps you should go somewhere else where people don't give a s**t that you're raping the living Hell out of a religion to make yourself feel cool.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:53 pm
I believe the only truly offensive thing about the word witch is that it has been related to all the wrong connotations throughout history... but the term in se has even a nice ring to it ^^  

Azfarel Whitemoon

Azfarel Whitemoon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:02 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff

You are not a Wiccan. Stop lying.
Claiming to be Wiccan doesn't make you more "speshul" or give you anymore clout. Really, it makes you look rather uneducated as there have been multiple attempts by now to correct you on the matter.

Why are you here? It doesn't seem to be to learn anything or discuss with anybody - it seems any and every attempt at either one go ignored by you. If all you want is an ego boost, perhaps you should go somewhere else where people don't give a s**t that you're raping the living Hell out of a religion to make yourself feel cool.

agreed... I don`t believe it was the best way to put it but it gets the message across... It`s sad when people actually claim to be part of something they might have read shallowly somewhere and liked the idea... onyx, please take matters like this seriously because some of us are actually trying to get something productive out of this...  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:21 pm
I’ll erase this feeling…
I still have a long life don’t I?
kono omoi wo keshiteshimau ni ha
mada jinsei nagai deshou?
The word witch may have been used as an offensive witch, but personally I don't see it as such. It describes those who practice witchcraft. -shrugs-
I’m missing the feeling…
so this pain is also welcomed!
natsukashiku naru
konna itami mo kangeijan

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Lucas Moonrose

Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:14 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I Always have, and always will, Prefer the Term Witch over Wicca.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:12 pm
Lucas Moonrose

I Always have, and always will, Prefer the Term Witch over Wicca.

Agreed. If someone calls me a witch, they're simply stating a fact. It's part of who I am and who I always will be, and I'm proud of it.

Lamia Moonrose

6,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Teh Bloody Princess

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:41 am
Think for yourself man, don't do like they do...
Nahrzak
It's a death wish... some people have a hyper sensitivity... subliminal or conscious... inate or active... and a witch is a Dark and sinister typography of magic... A wiccan is a Mage... and a Witch is a Novice or Apprentice of a bad sorceress... Witches cannot ever acquire the experience or ability that might include nobility... and Wiccan is a very noble (elfen) post script to Man's work in magic... Mage is a Healer or a Death Dealer... Witch is a lack of experience and or a moral or ethical Caring.

Dude...lay off the freakin Dungeons and Dragons...

xXOnYx MoOnXx
im really dont get offended about it. i call myself a witch all the time i believe that witches and wiccans are the same thing but u dont have to be wiccan to be a witch and if ur wiccan u might not be a witch. to be honest i really think that the only way it would be offensive is if u dont consider urself a witch but i'm good with any term because im actually both wiccan and a witch

You realize that you just talked yourself in the weirdest circle ever right?

I seriously think I lost IQ points from reading that...

Quote:
Do you get offended when being called a witch?

I'm not offended by being called a witch. I'm also not offended when I get called a hippie (I do get called a hippie when people find that I am Wiccan).
I do get offended when I get called a Satanist. But thats because some people can't read and don't know that thats a completly different religon.

...It's a sick world, you just gotta stay true.

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games