Welcome to Gaia! ::

Legion of Helpers

Back to Guilds

Help for new Members and Friends for those who have been here for years a place to call home! 

Tags: Help, Friends, Contests, Quest, RolePlay 

Reply Extended Discussion
Government talk.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bellabie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:08 pm
Please be courteous.
This is not a place to rant on "first fifty reasons why Bush should curl up and die."
I wish to discuss the pros and cons of governments.

Parliamentary systems?
Democracy?
Dual powers?
b  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:44 pm
I like, far more than the American political system, the parliamentary powers of the U.K. Granted, there are always some issues, but I believe that the coalitions and such formed are actually good for competition and success.
b  

Bellabie

scintillio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:56 pm
i dont fully understand the parliment....>_> isnt like...a huge debate club? where you argue your case, rather than vote...?

i dunno---im taking a guess. xd

The US' IDEA of government is great---but its never really properly followed...

yea, we vote---but *well, especially nowadays* votes are thrown out, or they cant be found---it especially happens in Ohio (where i live)....besides, people vote almost blindly...only for what they want at said time.

and i dunno WHAT the hell happened to congress...its like they cannot fulfill checks and balances anymore---everything goes STRAIGHT to the excective branch now....WHY? thats not the way its suspose to work.

-__-! i dunno. out of all the governments ive seen, i kinda like the way Canada runs their stuff. ATM, i forgot what its called... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:05 pm
Czarinas Knife

No it isn't.
Well, I don't think so, anyhow.

Electoral college? Ugh. How stupid. That ought to have been removed long ago!
Also, the executive branch should not be able to purge the "purse," even in times of war.
b  

Bellabie

Demonic Repentance

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:21 pm
As I've said before, all the world cares about is money. And seriously, Congress has all the damn power!  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:51 pm
Congress does not have all of the power. The executive has most at the minute, but the Judiciary is also strong.

Money makes politics, that is unnecessary to state. What is important is who has control over it.
b  

Bellabie

scintillio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:31 pm
Bellabie
Czarinas Knife

No it isn't.
Well, I don't think so, anyhow.

Electoral college? Ugh. How stupid. That ought to have been removed long ago!
Also, the executive branch should not be able to purge the "purse," even in times of war.
b

haha, and i agree with you---somehow theirs always a convient loop hole...

-___- maybe the electoral college is a leftover from days past---perhaps from the US' English roots? --i dunno, im taking a guess...

(' purge the "purse" ' lol i like that---
but yea, i agree with that---they shouldnt be able to skip over the other branches and things with out propper clearance from congress.)  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:52 pm
Well, electoral college, as far as I've been told, was a way to account for people not being able to get to the polling places.
Now, though, it merely skews results.
One vote in South Carolina may be worth seven or eight Californian votes.
Silly system. Ought to be changed. Stubborn "tradition."
b  

Bellabie

guantanamobayxx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:26 am
My dad explained the electoral college vote to me. Actually, it works really well. It prevents one candidate taking one coast, and another candidate taking the other coast. It prevents unfairness, its just really weird in the way it works. And I would go into depth and explain fully the electoral college system and how it.. works.. but it's eight o clock in the morning and i'm in school. and about to sleep.

But, yeah. Government itself is silly. Politicians don't care about their people. They care about corporations, lobbyists, winning elections, and MONEY MONEY MONEYEEYEYEY. So, honestly, one day i'm going to find a little uninhabited island and eek out my own existance in a hut with my cool husband and kids that are totally independent of electronics and we eat pinapples and the local wild hog.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:40 pm
guantanamobayxx
My dad explained the electoral college vote to me. Actually, it works really well. It prevents one candidate taking one coast, and another candidate taking the other coast. It prevents unfairness, its just really weird in the way it works. And I would go into depth and explain fully the electoral college system and how it.. works.. but it's eight o clock in the morning and i'm in school. and about to sleep.

Oh?
Do go on.
I'd very much like to know.
heart
(Particularly fascinating username, dear!)
b  

Bellabie

Bellabie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:00 pm
Pro/con of Capitalism.  
Extended Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items