Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Sims 2 Guild

Back to Guilds

Great place to share/show your creations and meet other TS2 fans! 

Tags: Sims2, Simulation, Maxis, Electronic Arts, Social Bunny 

Reply Main Forum
Can expansions ruin your game?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Psychadelic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:58 pm
So, here's the deal:
I have a very old version of the sims 2 (The first that came out. I'm not sure if there are any improved versions tough) and its not even been instaled probperly (or so claims my computer, tough the game works just fine apart from some minor bugs), and I'm seriously thinking about buying an expansion pack. So, want I want to know is if there is any danger of losing all my famillies and having to reinstal the whole game. If not, which expansion would you reccommend? And is it possible to do a backup of your current game?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but this has been bothering me for awhile
sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:01 pm
I cant help you much, but I do know that you can backup your current game by making a copy of the whole sims 2 folder. The folder which have downloads, cameras, collections, congif, teleport and so on. If you make a backup of that one and then just copy it back if you re-install the game it will -should- work. Your neighbourhood and families should be fine. I've never tried, but I know people who has.  

tamenak

Psychadelic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:45 pm
tamenak
I cant help you much, but I do know that you can backup your current game by making a copy of the whole sims 2 folder. The folder which have downloads, cameras, collections, congif, teleport and so on. If you make a backup of that one and then just copy it back if you re-install the game it will -should- work. Your neighbourhood and families should be fine. I've never tried, but I know people who has.

That's good to know xD Thanks for telling <3
I actually tought about it once but never tought It'd work. I'm glad it does, that's a big relief.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:32 pm
The expansions even tell you before you install them that you should copy everything you have just in case something happens to the expansion, your computer, or you just want to go back to base game so that you still have all your families. But it shouldn't delete anything you have already at all.  

AngelKeeper2k1

The heart of reality

5,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:36 pm
The manual that comes with the game and the installation recommend you create a backup.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:08 pm
Expansion packs wont lose families or neighborhoods but they will screw up custom content that was made before the EP came out. I had a tun of custom content I had to remove when bon voyage came out because it worked fine with season etc but not the new EP. this was expeshaly true of hacks like needs fillers, skill gainers, NPC sumeners and teen pregnancy as well as a item that trans formed all books in to bibles and a hack that worked on wants and a bunch of custom jobs.

I also had truble sending sims with custem hair on vacation. the trick is to instaling every EP all in a row before playing or installing down loads.  

kaykeyser

Psychadelic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:59 pm
Thanks for everyone who has been replying <3
Yeah, I guess I'll just do a backup then o.o

Kaykeyser: Ergh, that sucks x.x what if you just download all the custom content again and put it in the download folder and overwrite the ones who got screwed? Would they work correctly then?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:12 pm
Psychadelic

Kaykeyser: Ergh, that sucks x.x what if you just download all the custom content again and put it in the download folder and overwrite the ones who got screwed? Would they work correctly then?

the reason why custem things screw up is becouse the hackers had no clue about the future EPs when they made the hacks. you would have to get the artist to make an update with the bugs fixed. the only way to catch a bad item is to remve items in clusters (by date added or by name) and re-run the game if glitches keep hapening the "bad" item is not in the removed item set and that set can be re-installed (cut paste) if the glitch goes away then you know that one or more items in the removed set is bad and you should replace those items or live with out them. always look on web sites before you down load

what EP is requiered
what past item hacks go with the item
what other artists made simmuler items or made mods from that item.
also pay atention to how it downloads some file tilpes will need to be extracted diferently.  

kaykeyser

Psychadelic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:48 am
kaykeyser
Psychadelic

the reason why custem things screw up is becouse the hackers had no clue about the future EPs when they made the hacks. you would have to get the artist to make an update with the bugs fixed. the only way to catch a bad item is to remve items in clusters (by date added or by name) and re-run the game if glitches keep hapening the "bad" item is not in the removed item set and that set can be re-installed (cut paste) if the glitch goes away then you know that one or more items in the removed set is bad and you should replace those items or live with out them. always look on web sites before you down load

what EP is requiered
what past item hacks go with the item
what other artists made simmuler items or made mods from that item.
also pay atention to how it downloads some file tilpes will need to be extracted diferently.

Oh, alright then. That clears all my doubts ^^ Thanks~  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:23 am
When I tried to install seasons, it completely crashed my sims2, so I had to un-install everthing and then re-install everything except seasons to get it back.  

Lady Obsidian

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff