Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Noro Substitute

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:39 pm
For those of us who have been drooling over Noro, but unable to justify the expense, JoAnn's has come to our rescue with a new yarn lines.

I've seen swatches knit up on Ravelry, so I can't link here. sweatdrop If you're on there, look in the Yarn forum for "A beautiful yarn from JoAnn"  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:15 am
I'm not a big fan of most Noro, it's so scratchy! Some folks seem to enjoy the "rustic" qualities of Noro yarn, just not my thing. For gorgeous colorways and fluffy softness I always hit up Patons SWS.

I'll have to drop by JoAnn's to check out that new yarn, I hope my area stores carry it.  

Charmmi

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:20 pm
That's lovely yarn, I'll have to look for it next time I get to go to JoAnn's. I have to "pet" yarn before I'll buy it.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:32 am
It's supposed to have the color effects of Noro, without the *ahem* rusticness. mrgreen

I didn't see it at my local Jo-Anne's the last time I went in, but I plan on looking the next time. Then again, I went in specifically for Wool-Ease while my husband and son were in the car, so I refrained from browsing. blaugh  

AriRashkae

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:35 pm
Sweet. I'll have to check it out, since I could never justify buying Noro. The colors and my desire to knit a Noro scarf just couldn't overcome the price+scratchiness. I guess I'll look after Christmas or after I get my spring semester money. xp  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:48 pm
I haven't tried the Jo Ann's stuff yet. I have been swapping Plymouth Boku for Noro. It's less expensive, much softer and it also felts like a dream. (Noro most emphatically does not). The only downside with Boku is a bit fragile so you can't tug on it. But it knits up nicely.  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

fashionista468

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:49 pm
I have seen that in my local Joanns. Its nice, but it lacks the originality of Noro, and they don't have many colors in stock. I think Noro is worth paying for because Kuereyon has 100% wool so it can be used for felting.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:14 pm
Zap!bunny
I'm not a big fan of most Noro, it's so scratchy! Some folks seem to enjoy the "rustic" qualities of Noro yarn, just not my thing.
Quote:

I think silk garden is softer than kuereyon, but I like kuereyon for felting.

fashionista468

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:26 pm
Heres where I confess to not liking Noro. I do like the look for that other stuff, but as its wool, its out of my workable range.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:32 am
thanks for the tip, i've seen that at my joanns but i never really thought about it being a substitute for noro, my only fear is that it might felt when i get done washing it.. do you know if this yarn felts or should i be safe throwing it into the laundry?  

penguin8908

Pirate Dirge

Hygge Agenda

44,725 Points
  • My Feminist Agenda 500
  • Cozy Life 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:55 am
It's almost entirely acrylic with a low wool content, I'd imagine it's machine washable.

EDIT: Although, looking it up on Ravelry, the popular consensus seems to be it's a bish to work with. Just as a heads up.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:13 pm
i actually went to Jo's today and i think i found something better.. its Pattons, SWS its usually 3 or so color varigation, its really soft, its a wool/soy blend, and very easy to work with, it wasn't really that expensive either, for me it cost 5.99 a skien

just thought i'd update, oh and that other stuff was not very pretty to be honest the greens and reds looked like poop rolled up into a ball.. not pretty at all...  

penguin8908

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff