Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply The Friends of English Magic Guild
Silly Reading Habits~ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Muffins or Cupcakes??
  Muffins! A-Duh...
  Cupcakes of course!
View Results

Tagori

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:19 am
I tend to read dialog in character. I dont really know why, maybe i've always wanted to be an actor or something but I go over and over one line like I had to recite it on stage or something. And regardless of who or what the character is its always in a thick british accent. This mainly happens when I read poetry. I always feel obliged to make it seem as genuine and as emotional as possible. I think its cos I tend to mumble sometimes, its like unconciously im practising my diction or something.
Sometimes I dont really realise it until I notice someone staring at me. Very embarassing when it happens in public I can tell you.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:10 pm
okjgidgvstyrhfjk

Sometimes when I read and I'm thinking so much about something, I will end up reading a whole page even though I wasn't even thinking about what I was reading, I was thinking about something else. Then I have to go back and read the whole page all over again. Has that ever happened to you?

What other silly things do you do when you read?

That happens to me too (sometimes with just sentences though)! Usually I lose the story when a conversation, music, or some sort of noise my ears p***k up comes in.  

Beckygan
Crew

7,150 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Member 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

LillianSaire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:27 am
When I read text books that are dry and either boring or something I don't quite grasp, I'll be reading it and thinking about something totally different and take a while to notice. When I read a book just to read is a rare for me to do so; instead I often sit or lay on my bed and read it with barely a break for food and bathroom. I've gotten past that a bit, but if I get into the book it becomes more and more likely.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:28 pm
It depends on the book, the mood I'm in when I'm reading, and what distractions are around. If I'm reading while someone is watching a film, I'm likely to get distracted by the film and have to read back over the last few paragraphs to pick up the story again. I can, however, read while listening to songs. I find myself tuning out the music and getting engrossed in the book. I very rarely read in total silence, unless I can't wait to pick the book up of course.  

smile_clarenet

2,350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Ratttking

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:54 am
Is it silly to get mad at my BF for reading a book that belongs to me first? He read The Sorcerer's Stone after I opened it on Christmas some years ago when I went to bed, and it bothered me no end.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:55 am
I always say that I will NOT start a series before it is complete, and I always start it anyway. redface  

Ratttking

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100

Lady Pole
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:36 pm
Ratttking
Is it silly to get mad at my BF for reading a book that belongs to me first?
No! I'd be curious to find anyone who does think it's ok to read someone else's book before they do, unless they ask first.

Lately I've gotten to where if a book doesn't grab me after about 20 pages I will put it down and never pick it up again. I used to be more patient  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:51 pm
I have to be totally alone to read a 'real' book and prefer to be in the bathtub or in bed, but I can read books/stories on my laptop and hubby can have the tv on and talk to me and it doesn't bother me at all and can still concentrate on the story.  

Une Belle Histoire

Lady Pole
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:02 pm
Dyni
I have to be totally alone to read a 'real' book and prefer to be in the bathtub or in bed, but I can read books/stories on my laptop and hubby can have the tv on and talk to me and it doesn't bother me at all and can still concentrate on the story.
Can you give an example of a 'real' book? Right now I'm assuming it's anything other than light reading..?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:18 pm
redface I wasn't really clear with that, was I? With a real book I meant a hardback or paperback you can hold in your hands. When I read a novel on the computer you could talk to me and it wouldn't bother me but if I read the same novel handheld, in paper form I would have to be completely alone, which is pretty weird sweatdrop  

Une Belle Histoire

Lady Pole
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:20 pm
oh! That's interesting. It's like you've taught yourself to block out distractions for the computer. I'm jealous!. I always mute the sound on my laptop, even just for guilds and such, unless I'm watching a movie on it. Even in zOMG! I usually mute the sound.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:23 pm
lets see, silly things i do when i read:
i can read more than nine books at a time and keep all of the plot lines striaght.
i have to have music to listen to while i'm reading.
i can't sit still when i read so i randomly put the book down and walk around my house. and i won't even know where i'm going bcuz i'll b thinking of da book. eventually i realize tht i'm not it my room and i go "where the heck am i? oh i'm in the kitchen. wat the heck am i doing here? oh hi mom, just getting a drink"  

Sweet animal powers

ContrabassClarinetist

6,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:01 am
I'm one of those people who will be afraid to read the next book in the series because I'm afraid of what will happen in it. You know, like it will ruin how I imagined the characters to be or that the author will just get bored and not do a good job? I know it's crazy but I do it anyways.  
The Friends of English Magic Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff