Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Qipao/cheongsam...help?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Star is Vain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:56 pm
Hurray for crossposting in guilds where you haven't posted in a long time. -sweatdrop-

Alright...I was wondering if anyone knew of any sewing pattern or directions or whatever for making a qipao/cheongsam. Specifically, one like this: http://img229.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chinesecheongsamjg6.jpg (I only specify because I've seen ones without the line sort of thing going across it from the collar, and I've also seen ones with sleeves and ones that are more like halter tops -headdesk-) All the patterns I've been able to find are in Chinese, and my limited knowledge of kanji is not helpful here.

Also, do they HAVE to be made of silk? I know they're usually made of it, but can they be made from a less expensive, less fancy fabric? And if so, what would be best?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:59 am
I don't have a pattern, but I can safely say that you don't have to use silk. I used to have one made of cotton & satin. Most uncomfortable in the weather we have.
I personally don't think anyone really cares about the material (other than the wearer), but then I never claimed to be traditionalist.

I can only tell you roughly that the one you want has an invisible zip on the right from the armpit extending down. The top of the zip joins with the closure at the front. The line across is a closure fastened with the frog buttons (those embroidery thingys) and sometimes press buttons on the underside.
Er... does that make it easier?  

wynter_myst

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces