Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Crocheting Longways Scarves

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Maraigh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:57 pm
Does anyone else crochet scarves horizontally? My edges are always so wavy and uneven so I started doing it longways and it's less noticeable ^_^ And the scarf looks great!

So, is what I did an abomination?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:41 pm
I've crocheted a striped scarf for my daughter horizontally because she wanted stripes and I hate weaving in ends.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Brunette_Star

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:06 pm
Nah, I wouldn't call it an abomination.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:19 pm
I started crocheting scarves like that too. They also seem to move faster for some reason; maybe because you have fewer rows to do (I'm used to long rows because I normally make afghans when I crochet).  

knitting_needle_ninja

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:31 pm
I do that all the time, esspecially when i want a certain length but don't really care how wide it ends up. Its the way to go alot of the time. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:55 am
Yeah, it's a lot easier to do it the long way, especially because there's fewer rows. I did a scarf with really long vertical stripes of different colors that way once.  

selenitrope

Sugar Bandit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:29 pm
Heh, I usually do my scarfs the opposite way, but I always wanted to try doing it horizontally.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:06 pm
I enjoying doing stripes that way. ^^ I'm doing one right now in chocolate brown/spring green in a yarn thats 70% alapaca 30% silk. Fan-tab-u-lous!

(yes, I am, in fact, alive!!)  

Silver Mist

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:23 am
That's the nature of how Crochet works. Just remember which stitch to put your first stitch into. (example, with dc, the chain 3 is your first stitch. otherwise you end up with a trapezoid shaped scarf.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:55 pm
I started to make a scarf like that so I could have nicer fringe. But I didn't have enough yarn.  

Frail Appetite

Frail Appetite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:53 pm
I started to make a scarf like that so I could have nicer fringe. But I didn't have enough yarn.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:50 pm
Nope, not an abomination at all. In fact there are several lovely crochet patterns out there that use the longways build. My favorite is the tea scarf: http://www.pixeldiva.co.uk/crafty/crochet/tea-scarf/  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces