Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Twelve Days of Christmas Message

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The_Ky-Guy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:57 am
Hello, fellow grammar-concerned Gaians. If you haven't noticed, Gaia Online is throwing a giveaway deal for the twelve days of Christmas, where you get neat items for twelve days straight.

However, I spotted an error in the message, which I've highlighted for you.

Gaia is celebrating the holidays with 12 days of free gifts! Log in every day until December 24th for an exclusive daily item. These items wont be available anywhere else, so collect them all!

I'm also wondering if "12 Days of Christmas" is correct, or if it should really be "Twelve Days of Christmas?"

One last thing, I'm still relatively new here, so if this belongs elsewhere, you can redirect it. I'm sorry if I break any rules. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:15 am
Eh. Technically typing numbers isn't bad. It would be better to have it spelled out just because it is a title.  

Niccea Majeare

Counterfeit Self

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:48 pm
That falls on the borderline between making it a number or spelling it out. The rule my Language arts teacher goes by is that if the number is over ten, then you can put it as digits. However, it is also a title.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:58 pm
Krusnik Yoshiki
That falls on the borderline between making it a number or spelling it out. The rule my Language arts teacher goes by is that if the number is over ten, then you can put it as digits. However, it is also a title.

That is what I learned from the APA style manual, but if it begins a sentence or is in a title, you spell it out.  

Niccea Majeare

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:51 pm
Since when has Gaia ever revised their writing. I'm in the Christmas event and this is what one of the orphan messages said.

Quote:
I hope my new mom knows how to make hardtack?

Now I have never watched the movie, but it kind of reminds me of Anchorman.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games