Tags: Poll, DOOM, Elephant, Guild, Silly 

Reply Literate Hell
Put CHRIST back in CHRISTmas

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Merry CHRISTmas.
  Its a CHRISTAIN holiday. Thats what it is. Deal with it.
View Results

Angel of Music

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:57 am
Basically, Christmas is a Christian holiday, and if other religions which to celebrate it, fine. But whats the deal with calling it "XMAS"? If it's a Christian holiday, leave it be. Don't change it to fit you! You don't see non-Jews celebrating Hunnakah. Or changing it to "Xannkah". So why take the holiday meant to celebrate Christ's birth and change it. The whole entire point of the day is to celebrate God coming to the earth. If you don't believe in it fine, but isn't it a bit hypocritical to celebrate the holiday? And if you want an easy excuse to get presents, the very LEAST you could do is NOT change the name.  
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:44 pm
I'm sorry for necro'ing this post, but I haven't been on in a while and I just have to respond.

"X-mas" is actually Christian in origin. During the Roman empire when Christians were being persecuted, they weren't even allowed to say the name of Christ without risk of being arrested or executed. So as a form of rebellion, they took to writing the letter "X" on buildings, monuments, etc. as a way of expressing their beliefs with impunity.  

Titanol

Ivory_Lake

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:44 pm
True but I feel that even through I am an atheist, there's no reason why we CAN'T call it CHRISTMAS. On the other hand, I really don't care what we name it as long as it remains to be a holiday that we can all enjoy for the good of all the people.

PFFFFFT What a load of horse-s**t! Seriously though! As long as we still have this holiday, I think that humanity should be able to make due with what we have, so long as we don't blow each other off the map with nuclear toys.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:16 am
I'll stop celebrating Christmas the day Christians stop using icons like Santa Clause and flying reindeer, and stop giving each other presents. I, meanwhile, will stop calling it Christmas. I will, from then on, call it Winter Holiday, and continue using icons and flying reindeer, and getting and receiving presents.  

Calliope Solipsism

Wheezing Nerd

Literate Hell

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces