Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
Discrimination in Schools Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you ever been discriminated against in school for being Pagan?
yes
44%
 44%  [ 8 ]
no
55%
 55%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 18

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:43 pm

Night Side
There was a rule at my old high school that bans the wearing of any occult items, which always made me mad. I wrote an article for the school newspaper protesting this and I got a lot of support for my arguement.
It just makes me mad because I know that the people who are making these rules don't know anything about Paganism or the Occult at all. Thier afraid of what they don't understand and so they try to get rid of it.
Just curious, how would they define occult? As far as I know, most of the occult imagery is taken from religion.

On the other hand I doubt you could get away with wearing a reproduction of a complex circle, like the one apparently used to summon Uriel (wait, that on'e s a rectangle), which I clearly, never drew full sized on the teacher's blackboard on lunch break during high school... ninja
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:46 pm

Himika (the gummi bear)
Thanks to everyone who posted, I finally got everything sorted out and they're allowing me to wear it. 4laugh
Congrats! How did it go?

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

taxicab messiah

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:35 pm

WebenBanu
I never had a problem with religious symbols, but then I didn't really get hardcore into any specific Pagan religion until my last year in high school. Personally, I was threatened with expulsion but it was because I didn't have the habit of addressing everyone as "sir" or "ma'am." My parents were both from the North, which has much less of the bootcamp atmosphere compared to the South.

Even though I was a witch in the Deep South, though- in the crotch of the Bible Belt- I didn't really have any problems because the community knew me. They knew that I was an intelligent, good kid, I didn't look freaky (other than the pentagram), and I was very active in voluntary community service. They didn't have any grounds for complaint. Some bible-thumper Christians- the kind who stand around in the middle of campus and shout at the passers-by, and the occasional street preacher- would engage me in verbal dispute/badgering, but I always responded to their plight with sympathy (pity, probably is closer to the truth- it's a tremendous guilt-trip which those people place on themselves, being personally responsible for all the "unsaved" victims out there), and polite smiles, or simply ignored them.

Once I became Kemetic, though, and started wearing a small gold ankh rather than the pewter pentagram, that cleared up as well. Even during the time when I wore them together, and simply hung the ankh out in front, I found that the ankh was distracting enough that many would not see the pentagram underneath. Most Christians can't tell the difference between an ankh and a cross anyway- even a few of my old Pagan acquaintances did a double take when I first started wearing it, LOL! ^_~ And my ankh was small- probably less than an inch long. But when you think about it, most Pagan jewelry for some odd reason is a cool toned metal, like silver or pewter. The simple fact that mine was gold probably fooled many into thinking it was just a pretty shape- or a fancy cross. Wanting a gold ankh specifically, I searched the Pagan venders through and through trying to find one- I eventually ended up going to mainstream jewelers, and found a few very lovely ankhs in their catalogues. Lumped right in there with the crosses and the crucifixes, lol. When I lived down in Alabama, I called my ankh my "Pagan camoflauge."

I love you smile I am also Kemetic. Have a patron deity? whee

I've never had any problems with discrimination.

And I'm sometimes rather argumentative, so I might like to. smile
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:41 pm

I took a picture of my Bast pendant. It's the only necklace I wear.. I never take it off.

I've actually gotten a lot of compliments on it. "Oh, thats a nice cat."

Makes me laugh inside.

But is a picture of it.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

taxicab messiah

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:45 pm

Oh, very nice! I love seeing folks' religious jewelry.^_^

I worship a handful of deities, but the ones to Whom I am most strongly connected are Bast and Skhmt, with Djhwty close following, and Amn and Anpw as protective and friendly presences.^_^

Bast was the first to call to me, and I worshiped Her quite actively even when I was Wiccan- before going recon.^_~ Skhmt called to me during my training in Per Ankh's seminary (which is technically a bit redundant, I know- but this was the name of an organization), but She's been an influence in my life for a while. I suspect that She's been there ever since I seriously started working toward a career in veterinary medicine, at least, and now I relate to Her primarily through my work as a veterinary technician. It took a whack with the clueing stick, however, before I officially recognized it. redface Djhwty is patron of my love for languages and writing- and hopefully teaching me to be wiser and more diplomatic.^_~ I think of Anpw as a sort of cosmic Big Brother, and Amn's presence has always been a bit mysterious.^_^' I have more involved stories on how I met my gods and what they mean to me on my web journal, if you're interested.^_^ It's good to see another Kemetic in the guild!

I almost always wear either my Bast pendent or Skhmt pendent at work, as well. And both of them fit in rather well, since our hospital sees a lot of cats, and folks at work just know that I'm really into ancient Egypt- so all I have to do is explain that the lion-lady was patron of doctors in ancient Egypt, and they accept it as normal that I'd wear such a thing.^_^ I get a lot of "nice kitty" comments, too- lol!^_~

Here are pictures of my two pieces:

User Image.....User Image
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:09 pm

*drools over the pretty, pretty Bast jewlery*

Those be beautiful! Someday I will have a Bast pendant, just not now. Money isn't there, regretably and my rent, tuition, school books and novels have to take a front seat.

I just got a beautiful "Rhiannon" pedant from a witchy aunt; solid pewter and a part of a collection of Welsh Witches. As soon as I get my new camera up and running, I'll post it up
^^

The Bookwyrm
Crew

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:10 pm

I kind of collect Bast images, and to a certain extent the images of any of the deities with Whom I live. Sometimes, when a new ntjr shows up I'll buy or browse statues of Him or Her as a meditation- images of the gods have a unique and powerful appeal to me. I have a couple of Bast pendents which I bought simply as "small statues" to go in my collection. The silver Bast which I posted earlier is my favorite- it was a Yule present from Arcane, too.^_^ I have some others- a charm which was given to me by another priest candidate from my old seminary, and a couple of less traditional representations which I picked up at an occult shop...

Could it be that I have not yet created a sacred jewelry thread? O_o What's wrong with me? Or am I just going senile?^_^'

Anyway, sacred jewelry- like magical tools- tends to build up over the years and only comes to light when the time is right. I'd been worshipping Bast for many years before I found a pendent which I'd be willing to wear around my neck, as a fitting symbol of my devotion.^_^

I'd love to see this Rhiannon pendent of yours- you're so lucky to have a "witchy aunt" to consider these things! *thinks happy thoughts towards the camera ^_^ heart *
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:55 pm

Nihilistic Seraph
Himika (the gummi bear)
Thanks to everyone who posted, I finally got everything sorted out and they're allowing me to wear it. 4laugh
Congrats! How did it go?

It went really well. I presented everything to the school board, and explained everything and they agreed that I could wear it and any other items that represent my religion.

Himika (the gummi bear)

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:07 am

Himika (the gummi bear)

It went really well. I presented everything to the school board, and explained everything and they agreed that I could wear it and any other items that represent my religion.

That's fantastic! Way to go Himika! biggrin
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:15 am

WebenBanu
Could it be that I have not yet created a sacred jewelry thread? O_o What's wrong with me? Or am I just going senile?^_^'

Actually, you should start one up as a seperate thread. I think you'd get a pretty good responce for it. ^^ And it gives me an excuse to break in the new digital camera!

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas